4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help! Can't get the passenger side axle/shaft out... also new discoveries

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 02:41 PM

Help! Can't get the passenger side axle/shaft out... also new discoveries

Alright I got out the "stuck nut" I described in another post. I had to do quite a bit of dissassembly in order to get to it. I had to remove the center crossmember in order to access the 14 mm bolt for the shifter support bracket. Also take note if you ever gotta drop the crossmember. Support the engine/tranny and then I had to make a 3 foot extension of socket extensions, and then use a hand truck as a good pivot point. After that I just used a long bar on a ratchet and freed up the bolt then pulled it out. After the 4 crossmember to body bolts the thing just dropped out. To my amazement, my rear engine mount was completely busted. It was split right in half. Great, now I gotta spend $250 more in order to buy the Place Racing mounts from Cattman.

Anyway this brings me up to my next problem. I CAN'T get the passenger side CV out. I have the Chilton manual and its terrible cause they took pictures of a 3rd gen. I have a 4 gen manny tranny. I've undone the 3 support bearing bolts as well. I tried to pry the bearing/support apart but theres no place to pry the thing, they're just sorta stuck together. I also tried prying near the transmission, except it just pulled off this little ring that was there. I read that Slickismax and Don and Texas pulled their passenger side axle's in 15 minutes. I got it out of the hub but its not comin out the transmission! I even tried pushing it out from the other side with a screwdriver, sorta backwards from what the auto tranny guys gotta do. What's goin on here???
Old 10-10-2001, 07:11 PM

Alright I managed to get the thing out. Ironic part is while I was workin on the car, the UPS guy delivers my factory manual. I looked in there anyway and it didnt help either. The way I did it was to back off the bolts stuck out a tad, and then whack those with a hammer. This was able to drive the bearing far away enough from the bracket that then I stuffed a chisle in there and then wedged the 2 apart. After that the thing popped right out.