4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

car just got broken into in broad daylight

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 03:44 PM

car just got broken into in broad daylight

man this sucks...im sittin here on the 18th floor of my building and can clearly see my car sittin in the parking lot. i don't really look down at it often, but today i glanced and saw the trunk popped open. i ran down there and my whole system was gone. here's what i had

clarion dxz815 cd/mp3 player (retail $549)
5.8" screen in double din slot (retail $299)
dvd player (retail $399)
2 12" mtx 8000 subs (retail $400)
punch 800a.2 (retail $699)
pioneer amp (retail $299)
radar detector (retail $189)
broke passenger glass (????)
ripped out dashboard (???)
cd's (???)

I just spent about $800 redoing the dash this past weekend...adding the screen, new amp, tv tuner, dvd player and all that jazz...and today some low life took it all. what a ****ty day. i had been driving without a system for like 3 weeks trying to configure a kick *** system...and now i'll be driving again without anything and glass particles stickin my ***. sorry had to vent...but people **** me off sometimes. Anyways, total of lost equipment will probably be around $5000 believe it or not. i have spent a lot of money doing customization work that is crap. what a day!
Old 10-10-2001, 03:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i am sorry man, that really F-ing SUX
Old 10-10-2001, 03:58 PM

will your insurance cover it??? it should right??? Just pay the deductable???

Nam
Old 10-10-2001, 04:19 PM

I hope you had renters/homeowners insurance.

Originally posted by Asian_N02
will your insurance cover it??? it should right??? Just pay the deductable???

Nam
Old 10-10-2001, 04:26 PM

Re: car just got broken into in broad daylight

Aren't these thieves afraid of alarms anymore? Sorry to hear your bad news dude.
Old 10-10-2001, 04:27 PM

Re: I hope you had renters/homeowners insurance.

I hope you find out who did this and rip of their genitals.
Old 10-10-2001, 04:37 PM
I'm needing a caw

That's why I don't really see the point in super expensive Audio equipment. You can't really flaunt it around becuase then people will know who you are and you become a target. But good luck and I hope you can get some better stuff w/ the insurance or use it any way.
Old 10-10-2001, 04:45 PM

Next time you build your system, try and do what I did.

I bolted the speaker box to the rear of the trunk using 2" wide bolts and 2x4's. then, I put a hinge on the front of my speaker box and a 3/4" pine cover with a impact resistant lock.

Someone tried to jack my stuff once, and they ripped up my lid a little, but they couldn't get leverage on the lock....

Luckily, I stupidly left my doors unlocked, so they didn't break the window, and I took the faceplate off my deck, so they didn't go after that.

Anyway, this is aobut you, not me. That sucks....noone should mess with a man's car.

Insurace should cover it, if you have all the receipts and/or pictures of it installed.

IanS
Old 10-10-2001, 06:14 PM

that really sux man. $h*t like this has been happening on my campus 4 the past 2 weeks as well. friend came 2 visit this weekend and in broad daylite, his back window smashed and $1K worth of stuff (subwoofer,tools) was jacked. people don't work 4 their stuff anymore?
Old 10-10-2001, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
That's why I don't really see the point in super expensive Audio equipment. You can't really flaunt it around becuase then people will know who you are and you become a target. But good luck and I hope you can get some better stuff w/ the insurance or use it any way.

The same goes with all those visual mods. Looks nice, but makes your car all that more an attractive target.

Think about it this way...they got your stereo equipment, but at least they didn't steal the whole car.
Old 10-10-2001, 06:56 PM

thanks for the sympathy guys. yeah well im gonna have to think real hard about how to configure my next system. im really looking towards a stealth system (jl stealth box).....we'll see though. yeah i've called the insurance company and am just waiting to see what they say. i have most of the receipts, except for the big rockford fosgate amp....i know i have it, but can't find it. what also surprises me is my alarm didn't scare these guys off...i just spent $500 on an alarm because of my car being in downtown so often, and it didn't do a damn thing. oh well, im hoping insurance covers all plus more so that i can redo my system. im gonna be a lot more conservative with how my system's set-up now. thanks guys. i always have believed in "what's goes around, comes around".
Old 10-10-2001, 07:41 PM

Man, that really sucks, hopefully you get a reasonable amount (or better) from insurance. This stuff has got to stop.
Old 10-10-2001, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by sachin98max
man this sucks...im sittin here on the 18th floor of my building and can clearly see my car sittin in the parking lot. i don't really look down at it often, but today i glanced and saw the trunk popped open. i ran down there and my whole system was gone. here's what i had

clarion dxz815 cd/mp3 player (retail $549)
5.8" screen in double din slot (retail $299)
dvd player (retail $399)
2 12" mtx 8000 subs (retail $400)
punch 800a.2 (retail $699)
pioneer amp (retail $299)
radar detector (retail $189)
broke passenger glass (????)
ripped out dashboard (???)
cd's (???)

I just spent about $800 redoing the dash this past weekend...adding the screen, new amp, tv tuner, dvd player and all that jazz...and today some low life took it all. what a ****ty day. i had been driving without a system for like 3 weeks trying to configure a kick *** system...and now i'll be driving again without anything and glass particles stickin my ***. sorry had to vent...but people **** me off sometimes. Anyways, total of lost equipment will probably be around $5000 believe it or not. i have spent a lot of money doing customization work that is crap. what a day!

i'm sorry.
i think that about time for us to go to war against the terror against our maximas.
maxima ouners fights back.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:04 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

sittin here on the 18th floor of my building and can clearly see my car sittin in the parking lot. i don't really look down at it often, but today i glanced and saw the trunk popped open. i ran down there and my whole system was gone

that is IT!!! i am disconnecting that damn door switch. sorry man i understand.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:51 PM

That really sucks bro...
What we need is those thick bullet proof windows like a Benz S-class...I got a friend with one of those and someone tried to break-in and they only smached the outside window. but the inside window was still in tact... the thief got away with nothing... But replacing the outside window was still expensive.
Old 10-11-2001, 06:31 AM
I'm so hood

That sucks...pretty badly...

My stereo is still laying in a closet. I'm trying to decide if I should even put it in. If I do, I know I'm disabling the trunk release...

I've heard that insurance won't cover most of that crap (specifically anything not replacing something in the exact stock location) - one of the things making me hesitant. Good luck on getting your stuff reimbursed. If I had all that kind of money put in, I'd make sure I parked in a garage and didn't go to someplace with a lot of thievery attraction, such as malls, schools/colleges, etc. That's the other thing making me hesitant - I just transferred to a state school. The private school I was at was no prob, but peoples cars get busted into daily at my current university.

Good luck on your recovery.
Old 10-11-2001, 06:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What! WTF!!!!
Someone just stole my $45 clear corners and I had to chase this sucker with my barefoot at 1AM.
I was so mad that when I saw his get way car parked at 7 blocks away from my home I almost blow his car up with my 12ga semi-auto shotgun!
A few days later I went to his house with police and everything.
This retard thug only managed to steal one side only and that was the broken one, too.
Stupid a$$!
Man! I feel your pain¡¦ oh my gosh! You lost almost 5G worth of stuff in broad daylight. I don¡¯t know what to say¡¦
Whoever did it to you he deserved to get punished big time.
Stealing someone else¡¯s pride and hard earned cash are punishable by death!
So sorry to hear this tragic story¡¦
Old 10-11-2001, 08:54 AM

hey

iansw: do you have any pics of how you bolted the sub box? im really interested in knowing how you did that.

Originally posted by iansw
Next time you build your system, try and do what I did.

I bolted the speaker box to the rear of the trunk using 2" wide bolts and 2x4's. then, I put a hinge on the front of my speaker box and a 3/4" pine cover with a impact resistant lock.

Someone tried to jack my stuff once, and they ripped up my lid a little, but they couldn't get leverage on the lock....

Luckily, I stupidly left my doors unlocked, so they didn't break the window, and I took the faceplate off my deck, so they didn't go after that.

Anyway, this is aobut you, not me. That sucks....noone should mess with a man's car.

Insurace should cover it, if you have all the receipts and/or pictures of it installed.

IanS
Old 10-11-2001, 09:06 AM

Wish I did...I could show you the bolts and where they attach, but to actually show you the 2x4's and such would take me having to take the entire box out, which is a long process. (good for me, bad for thieves)

Generally, take 2 2x4's and cut them in the shape of the edge of the "hole" that makes up the sheet-metal pan that makes the backing of the back seat (from the trunk side)...not the ski-hole, but the larger hole around that.

Then take 2 long bolts, and drill 2 holes through the 2x4's that are a little wider than the width of the bolts.

Drill holes of the same size n the sheet metal backing of the back seat. Then, using the bolts and nuts, threading through the holes you drilled, attach the 2x4's to that sheet metal and tighten down the bolts with a ratchet.

Then, with no woofers in the speaker box, put the box in, facing the back of the trunk (sounds better that way anyway because of the waveforms of bass itself). Use large strong wood screws to screw the back of the box (the inside of it) into the 2x4's.

Install and wire up the subs to your amp.

Viola!

I can send you some pics of just the back seat cusion removed so maybe you can get an idea of that. It's simply two bolts with nuts sticking out. Once my computer at home is back up.

I also went through the trouble of using torques screws to screw all of my equipment in, so if a thief brought a phillips head drill or something with him, he's screwed. (no pun intended) If he can get past the lock.

IanS
Old 10-11-2001, 09:28 AM

awesome

do you think i can do without the 2x4's and drill the box straight into the metal backing?
Old 10-11-2001, 09:54 AM

Yes, that may be better, depending on how deep your box is.

The only problem is that you don't want any leaks in your box. Be careful to make it air-tight. Using machined steel bolts, which are much harder to snap off than screws, I had to use th 2x4's. If you just use wood screws, then if someone pulls hard enough, they'll have no problem snapping them off.

The other problem is that if your box is too wide to fit in the "hole", and too deep to be able to close the trun (trunk suports get in the way), then you'll ahve to deal with that.

You could also simply bolt the box to the floor of the trunk.

IanS
Old 10-11-2001, 04:33 PM
Granny Driven

You might be in trouble if you didnt tell your INS co that you have those things. Usually they say if you didnt mention it to them they will not cover it. Good luck