4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

PRCAI installed today. It's my 3rd intake.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 08:11 PM

PRCAI installed today. It's my 3rd intake.

Thanks again Shirtboy! He came over and helped me do the install with his tools.
This is my 3rd intake now. I used to have Stillen pop, and OSCAI. I say if you've got the $$, go get the cold air. I recommend a Cattman, since it's only 200 bucks and there is no backorder for the item.

Performance wise, I'm sure there is a definite increase, but I dont know for sure because lately, before I got the cold air, I've been driving around real slowly to conserve gas, and as I get older (I'm 25), my impulses to step on the metal have decreased a lot.

If you're a newbie wondering whether cold air or pop charger really works, it works, so go get it tiger!

I used to have stillen pop and stillen y, and the car was "feel-ably" very faster than stock. I miss my ypipe. I"m getting the budget ypipe soon.
Old 10-10-2001, 09:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

how is it compared to a popcharger?
Old 10-10-2001, 09:16 PM

Its colder.

Much colder.
Old 10-10-2001, 09:58 PM

Old 10-10-2001, 11:09 PM

I think the pop charger was louder than the cold air.

Pop charger is right there in front of you in the engine bay, but the cold air is hidden in the wheel well.

With the pop, ypipe set up, when it gets really cold, the car becomes a lot faster than normal. But with the CAI, it doesnt have to be as cold to achieve the same effect, because CAI air is at least 20 F colder than the pop charger air. If UDP does to the car what the cold weather does to my car, then I'm definitely gonna get the UDP. All you New Yorkers, Boston and Maine people probably know what I'm talkin about.

As for the performance, I think they are almost the same, but CAI looks hundred times prettier than the pop charger.
Old 10-11-2001, 12:35 AM

Every intake you get makes you less power you don't even know it. On a Maxima nothing beats the pop charger, and the OSCAI is real nice too. The PR CAI just starves for air up top.

This point has been proven continuously.
Old 10-11-2001, 08:11 AM

other alternative

What about drop in K&N filter? it might be as good as anything else if you are interested in having low end power with some high end gains. No noise, no cutting, not much money.
Old 10-11-2001, 09:18 AM

No problem. I hope that you will like it.

Thai Hoang.
Old 10-11-2001, 09:37 AM

I wouldn't say starve, my car can still top 140 mph. The Y-pipe and CAI work really well together. Before my Y pipe I would definitely feel the slowdown in torque up top with just the CAI. Now with the Y-pipe, it's not there.

Granted, the POP has a better top end in torque. That advantage would be for those who live for the 1/4 mile alone. For everyday usability, the CAI is un-beatable, hands down. The torque increase is lower down in the rpm band, better than the POP, not up at 5 to 6K rpms of the POP.

Also, it seems that the POP takes away top speed. Some people have reported losing top speed when they added a POP charger.

DW

Originally posted by BrianV
Every intake you get makes you less power you don't even know it. On a Maxima nothing beats the pop charger, and the OSCAI is real nice too. The PR CAI just starves for air up top.

This point has been proven continuously.
Old 10-11-2001, 09:38 AM

K&N

Originally posted by shirtboy
No problem. I hope that you will like it.

Thai Hoang.
I only noticed minimal gains with the addition of a K&N drop in. It was when I added my OSCAI setup that I really noticed a power increase. Now that I added a simple scoop to the setup it's even more pleasing.

Miguel
Old 10-11-2001, 10:43 AM

JWT

"Also, it seems that the POP takes away top speed. Some people have reported losing top speed when they added a POP charger"

When my car was stock it did 140mph, with the pop charger it still does 140+.

/shrug

Listin to brian he is the INtake guru on this board.

G
Old 10-11-2001, 11:57 AM

The PRACAI doesn't take away from top end.

The 4th gen VQ has minimal top end anyways. The dyno proves this. The lack of top end is just the characteristic of 4th gen VQ. No intake is gonna give you awesome top end for 4th gens.
The Ypipe and CAI is a good combination. I guess the ypipe and the OSCAI works well too, because my brother the ArcticMax dynoed his car(cattman,OSCAI) and he got 200 at the wheels.
The biggest reason I got the CAI is for the looks, and I got tired of OSCAI. The accordian like ridges in the stock intake track, I hate that.

I can't wait to dyno my car.
Old 10-11-2001, 01:02 PM

Umm the gains in the midrange on the cai are like 1-2 HP over the stillen, where the stillen pop can hold like an extra 5-10 HP 500 RPM longer up top. Did you pay attention at all when the UPRD chip was programmed.

Cheston and I used to swear by the CAI as well, and Nabil used to pick at us for it, but finally we changed just for fun and now both of us are preaching.

The thing is after you run your engine hard for a while the intake pipe gets so hot that even the cold air gets turned to hot air and it's only minimally cooler than normal under the hood air. Also the bends in the CAI piping and the smaller filter don't allow the engine to get the quantity of air that it needs. The Stillen/JWT rig is a STRAIGHT (as an arrow actually) shot to the throttle body and a velocity stack to help it even more.

On Honda's CAIs work, on our cars it's about quantity before quality of air.

I'm out!

BTW I ran 1/4 with CAI and with Stillen and I continually ran .15 second better with Stillen.
Old 10-11-2001, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by BrianV
Umm the gains in the midrange on the cai are like 1-2 HP over the stillen, where the stillen pop can hold like an extra 5-10 HP 500 RPM longer up top. Did you pay attention at all when the UPRD chip was programmed.

Cheston and I used to swear by the CAI as well, and Nabil used to pick at us for it, but finally we changed just for fun and now both of us are preaching.

The thing is after you run your engine hard for a while the intake pipe gets so hot that even the cold air gets turned to hot air and it's only minimally cooler than normal under the hood air. Also the bends in the CAI piping and the smaller filter don't allow the engine to get the quantity of air that it needs. The Stillen/JWT rig is a STRAIGHT (as an arrow actually) shot to the throttle body and a velocity stack to help it even more.

On Honda's CAIs work, on our cars it's about quantity before quality of air.

I'm out!

BTW I ran 1/4 with CAI and with Stillen and I continually ran .15 second better with Stillen.
What about us people with the CAI adapter kit? I have the larger filter with the velocity stack but it's in the fender wall. How does this change the behavior?
Old 10-11-2001, 01:16 PM

Bryan we actually did that but quickly realized it does nothing. The biiger filter helps a bit, but the velocity stack serves no purpose, why straighten the air when you're going to twist it right after anyways. That was the intermediate step we took before switching to the POP from the CAI.
Old 10-11-2001, 02:43 PM

Re: other alternative

Originally posted by BluFlame
What about drop in K&N filter? it might be as good as anything else if you are interested in having low end power with some high end gains. No noise, no cutting, not much money.
They give you pretty much nothing.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:13 PM

I recommend a popcharger in conjunction with a CAI "upper" tubing....you gain the upper range power, and it has the awesome deep growl of a CAI...
Old 10-11-2001, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by mitch33x
I recommend a popcharger in conjunction with a CAI "upper" tubing....you gain the upper range power, and it has the awesome deep growl of a CAI...
>snip<
popcharger in conjunction with a CAI "upper" tubing....you gain the upper range power, and it has the awesome deep growl of a CAI...
>snip<

Mitch, do you have a pic. you could post of your intake setup as you described it?

thx,
KWheelzSB
Old 10-11-2001, 04:41 PM
Granny Driven

What da heL! is OSCAI and why is it better then the rest?
I need CAI! which one to buy for low end power. I had pop, it makes no sound comparing to the CAI.
Old 10-11-2001, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

>snip<
popcharger in conjunction with a CAI "upper" tubing....you gain the upper range power, and it has the awesome deep growl of a CAI...
>snip<

Mitch, do you have a pic. you could post of your intake setup as you described it?

thx,
KWheelzSB

I have a Place Racing Upper Intake Tube which I purchased from Cattman...I dont have a popcharger..I have an intake adapter with a generic cone filter...I had to use backstrapping as a bracket so the cone filter would not hit the battery...I am gonna paint the backstrap black..so it doesnt look ghetto, as it does in the pic now......enjoy
Old 10-11-2001, 06:41 PM

my plan involves getting the weapon-r intake for the chrome tubing before the maf and then replacing the dragon filter with a k&n one, im sure thats gotta be a pretty good setup
Old 10-12-2001, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

>snip<
>snip<

thx,
KWheelzSB
Or this
http://www.users.voicenet.com/~breaux/car/cai/cai.html

This is the CAI adapter kit with a JWT filter and velocity stack.
Old 10-12-2001, 07:23 AM
Granny Driven

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA
I need CAI! which one to buy for low end power. I had pop, it makes no sound comparing to the CAI.
Old 10-12-2001, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA

My OSCAI extends down under the car and replaces the pipe that normally leads from the stock intake to something under the battery. I bought 5 feet of 3" ABS pipe and cut a 12" section off. It connects to the stock intake using a 3" to 2" flexible coupler. I hade to take the stock intake completely out to hook it up and remove the battery to reinstall it. I also had to cut about a 4" hole in the splash guard. This setup worked pretty well. Then I added a 3" 90degree elbow and now it just plain kicks ***!

Miguel
Old 04-17-2002, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by Miguel97GLE

My OSCAI extends down under the car and replaces the pipe that normally leads from the stock intake to something under the battery. I bought 5 feet of 3" ABS pipe and cut a 12" section off. It connects to the stock intake using a 3" to 2" flexible coupler. I hade to take the stock intake completely out to hook it up and remove the battery to reinstall it. I also had to cut about a 4" hole in the splash guard. This setup worked pretty well. Then I added a 3" 90degree elbow and now it just plain kicks ***!

Miguel
Miguel, Do you have pictures of this setup? How would this work in conjunction with a POP charger?
Old 04-17-2002, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by maxwillden

Miguel, Do you have pictures of this setup? How would this work in conjunction with a POP charger?
I could take some pics tonight. The OSCAI setup I'm using works with the stock airbox and a K&N flat panel filter. The pop charger OSCAI is quite a bit different. I'll be switching to a hybrid intake as soon as I get my ypipe(cmon Warpspeed).
Old 04-17-2002, 12:53 PM

For an automatic, I think the CAI is the way to go. I used to have a hybrid intake which consist on the PR upper tube with the K&N filter. On the highway, it's a blast, very strong pull. However, it does seem to lag at lower rpms, low mph wise. I ran at the track with my hybrid setup and didn't do very well. I'll run again soon, so I'll know for sure if the CAI make any difference.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
For an automatic, I think the CAI is the way to go. I used to have a hybrid intake which consist on the PR upper tube with the K&N filter. On the highway, it's a blast, very strong pull. However, it does seem to lag at lower rpms, low mph wise. I ran at the track with my hybrid setup and didn't do very well. I'll run again soon, so I'll know for sure if the CAI make any difference.
Do you know if there is a way to make the JWT work in conjunction with the OSCAI to get the "best of both worlds???"
Old 04-17-2002, 01:36 PM

:)

Wow an old thread..

Someone also posted a thread that measured the temp. of the air entering the Pop and compaired it to the CAI. Someone should link that here in this thread to help out those that can't make up there mind on what is the best setup.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:17 PM

Re: :)

Originally posted by Gumby510
Wow an old thread..

Someone also posted a thread that measured the temp. of the air entering the Pop and compaired it to the CAI. Someone should link that here in this thread to help out those that can't make up there mind on what is the best setup.
I found that thread... It is listed at the top of the General Discussion board. It doesn't answer my question though. I am looking to find a way to integrate the OSCAI concept with my JWT, and suggestions as to how that could be accomplished...
Old 04-17-2002, 04:39 PM

Re: Re: :)

I found that thread... It is listed at the top of the General Discussion board. It doesn't answer my question though. I am looking to find a way to integrate the OSCAI concept with my JWT, and suggestions as to how that could be accomplished...
You guys should read the entire thread, especially the findings in the very beginning. As shown, the CAI not has lower air intake temps but also sustains those lower temps longer than any intake. As to the debate of the length of the intake itself and it having or not having an effect on performance, well that's still being debated. Air moving in one direction is not affected by ONE bend in the intake IMO. Bottom line as shown by the results of the experiment, if you want cooler air temps ALL THE TIME, go CAI. If you want cooler air temps the MAJORITY of the time, go pop or OSCAI.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:41 PM

My problem with intakes is that if I get CAI and knowing how I drive, I am afraid of getting water in my engine. But with a pop charger I am afraid of lossing al of that low end torque. If I get the hybrid intake would I get the good of both worlds?
Old 04-17-2002, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by SonicDust187
My problem with intakes is that if I get CAI and knowing how I drive, I am afraid of getting water in my engine. But with a pop charger I am afraid of lossing al of that low end torque. If I get the hybrid intake would I get the good of both worlds?
The water problem is only a problem if you drive thru puddles of standing water that is deep enough to submerge the entire filter. That's about 6" or more. Either way if that's the concern all you have to do is buy the AEM bypass valve and it goes right on the CAI w/o any problems.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

The water problem is only a problem if you drive thru puddles of standing water that is deep enough to submerge the entire filter. That's about 6" or more. Either way if that's the concern all you have to do is buy the AEM bypass valve and it goes right on the CAI w/o any problems.
How much power does the bypass valve take away? I just read up on teh bypass but it said that it only works on AEM intakes. Are they bsing or it only fits their system?
Old 04-17-2002, 06:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: :)

O.K... I'll say this as nicely as I know how... I've had two people quote me in response to my thread with information not pertinent to my question... You should read MY thread all the way through. If you don't have the information I'm looking for, it is not necessary to answer... I'm not debating CAI vs. POP vs. OSCAI.

I am asking if anyone knows how to make a hybrid OSCAI w/Pop Charger. Any takes on this, (as I was not able to find any with the search feature...)

Thanks...
Old 04-17-2002, 08:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: :)

O.K... I'll say this as nicely as I know how... I've had two people quote me in response to my thread with information not pertinent to my question... You should read MY thread all the way through. If you don't have the information I'm looking for, it is not necessary to answer... I'm not debating CAI vs. POP vs. OSCAI.

I am asking if anyone knows how to make a hybrid OSCAI w/Pop Charger. Any takes on this, (as I was not able to find any with the search feature...)

Thanks...
Check out this thread http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ighlight=oscai
Old 04-17-2002, 08:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :)

Originally posted by Motomax

is there any cleaning necessary for the CAI like other filter intakes?? and how much do peope usually charge to have them installed?
Old 04-17-2002, 08:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :)

Originally posted by Motomax

Thanks Motomax... EXACTLY what I was looking for....

Ryan
Old 04-17-2002, 10:00 PM

yeh JWT and stillen are same thing dont get ripped off just for name
Old 04-18-2002, 07:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: :)

Thanks...
I personally understood the question, but was trying to find out why you had chose to go that route. As with every other thread in this forum people's opinion usually comes thru. I know that I personally enjoy people telling me what works best on our cars as opposed to what I THOUGHT worked great in my car which I had never before tried. People sometimes confuse advice with flame and that's a mistake. If you chose not to listen to advice it is entirely up to you, but you should be prepared to get different views in an open forum such as this.

Quick Reply: PRCAI installed today. It's my 3rd intake.