4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

bored out

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 04:31 AM

bored out

Ok, I know this has been talked about, but I searched and couln't find much that was relevant. I have a 96 gle, and I was thinking about getting the manifold bored out. I'm not expert at "interior" engine work, but I was wondering what kinds of gains I could expect for different degrees of bore (ie... .01... .02...). Also, about how much would I have to dish out to have this done by a local car shop. The only contributing mod would be my PRCAI, if that helps any. Thanx in advance for any advice you guys can offer.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:47 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

well the most you can bore the engine is .02 which yield a 3.2L engine. you will need to get custom rods and pistons done in order to make this work. not much of anyone has done this so the gains are unknown. if you do this get good pistons and run LOTS of boost.
Old 10-11-2001, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
well the most you can bore the engine is .02 which yield a 3.2L engine. you will need to get custom rods and pistons done in order to make this work. not much of anyone has done this so the gains are unknown. if you do this get good pistons and run LOTS of boost.
Uh, right.
Old 10-11-2001, 06:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
He said manifold. Not cylinder. I'm assuming Intake Manifold. Thanks anyway Steve.
Old 10-11-2001, 06:38 AM

Re: bored out

I have heard that the 4th Gen Maxima's do have some restrictive intake manifolds. I think that if you get it extrude hone, ported and polished you could get some noticeable gains. Make sure that you get your intake manifold port matched to your heads so that you have even airflow going from the intake manifold into the heads. If you don't port match the heads you might not realize all the power that is possible.

Originally posted by operationNOS
Ok, I know this has been talked about, but I searched and couln't find much that was relevant. I have a 96 gle, and I was thinking about getting the manifold bored out. I'm not expert at "interior" engine work, but I was wondering what kinds of gains I could expect for different degrees of bore (ie... .01... .02...). Also, about how much would I have to dish out to have this done by a local car shop. The only contributing mod would be my PRCAI, if that helps any. Thanx in advance for any advice you guys can offer.
Old 10-11-2001, 02:14 PM

woops my bad. you'll see maybe a 5-8hp gain from above 5K rpms. it's not worth it.
Old 10-11-2001, 03:03 PM

Now are you referring to intake or exhaust manifold?

If intake, do not expect much gains unless you want to try the 5th gen intake manifold swap which is suppose to yield some decent gains.

If youa re talking about exhaust, well "Don in Texas" ported his exhaust manifold and only yielded +1hp.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:33 PM

power gains

The 4th Gen has responded well to being Extrude Honed or ported and polished. It would be a lot easier and more cost effective to do this than to switch out to the 5th Gen intake manifold.

As far as the exhaust goes, Don in Texas might have had a better reading on his exhaust manifolds (headers) by making them from mandel bent tubing rather than hogging them out. This is just my guess though.

Originally posted by Synki
If intake, do not expect much gains unless you want to try the 5th gen intake manifold swap which is suppose to yield some decent gains.

If youa re talking about exhaust, well "Don in Texas" ported his exhaust manifold and only yielded +1hp. [/B]
Old 10-11-2001, 05:28 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: power gains

Originally posted by jgadlage
The 4th Gen has responded well to being Extrude Honed or ported and polished. It would be a lot easier and more cost effective to do this than to switch out to the 5th Gen intake manifold.

As far as the exhaust goes, Don in Texas might have had a better reading on his exhaust manifolds (headers) by making them from mandel bent tubing rather than hogging them out. This is just my guess though.

Emax got mandrel bent headers imported from New Zealand and there wasn't much gain, a big disappointment really...
Old 10-11-2001, 07:24 PM

Re: power gains

Originally posted by jgadlage

if you call about 1hp for every 100bucks spent on the intake job then i guess that's good.