4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

H&R/Koni ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 09:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

H&R/Koni ???

I was thinking about getting springs and struts for christmas because I am getting fed up with the wheel gap. How do you guys like the H&R/Koni setup ??...I have the 17's from the 2001 maxima se and the wheel gap sucks...I dont want a roufe ride on the highway and on side streets either...I want a close to stock se ride but low and looks good.

I heard H&R/Koni is good ?? ride quality ??

Old 10-11-2001, 09:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: H&R/Koni ???

The ride quality will be stiffer than stock, especially with Koni shocks.
Old 10-11-2001, 09:51 AM

I just installed that setup last weekend and I love the look. that ugly fender gap is gone. The ride is a little stiffer, but softer than i had expected it to be after i dropped it. The soft setting on the koni is were it is closest to stock comfort although a little harsher over rough roads.
Old 10-11-2001, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by matty
I was thinking about getting springs and struts for christmas because I am getting fed up with the wheel gap. How do you guys like the H&R/Koni setup ??...I have the 17's from the 2001 maxima se and the wheel gap sucks...I dont want a roufe ride on the highway and on side streets either...I want a close to stock se ride but low and looks good.

definatly agree w/ the guys above, the good thing about this setup is that you can soften or stiffen the ride to your likings, because Koni's are adjustable, so you should be happy w/ the ride
Old 10-11-2001, 11:33 AM

I have the exact setup you're inquiring about. I also have pics showing the fender gap (let me know if you're interested I can email them to you). First off, any changes to ride height in the Maxima will adversely (sp?) affect the ride quality. You have to understand that the way the suspension is setup (stock) there's plenty of suspension travel. At least enough to return a cushy ride. so when you lower the car it will get rougher. But I must say I liken this setup (Koni/H&R) to a SPORT package suspension. It leaves a decent amount of suspension travel and the shocks really reduce a lot of pitch. Brake dive significantly reduced. Which really helps keep the car composed in emergency stopping situations. Overall my car feels safer to me out on the highway, it just feels more planted. Less sway, pitch, and dive.
Come spring I'm gonna give Ground Controls a try and see if I can find a fine line between sport and a decent ride.

Originally posted by matty