4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What kind of Motor oil to get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 11:49 AM

What kind of Motor oil to get?

Soon is my schedulled change of motor oil and i do not trust my mechanic to pick one for me. so i decided to buy it on my own at local auto store. so need to buy syntetic one. The question is what kind i should buy? I like mobil 1 but saw diff kind with various numbers, but no idea which one is good for maxima. I drive in NYC and prepare car for winter season.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-11-2001, 12:05 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Castrol Syntech
Old 10-11-2001, 12:07 PM

Castrol Syntech 10W-30
Old 10-11-2001, 12:08 PM

Mobil 1 5W-30 off the shelf at most auto stores. Amsoil 5W-30 is better though.
Old 10-11-2001, 12:52 PM
syc

I use mobile 0w-30, I guess it doesn't matter.
Old 10-11-2001, 12:54 PM

I have heard that Valvoline's new full synthetic is better than Mobil 1. They make a 5W-40.
Old 10-11-2001, 01:10 PM

last question guys, how many bottles to buy? i think one box its like 12 bottles?
Old 10-11-2001, 01:28 PM
I'm needing a caw

I heard that Amsoil is the best of them all so it must be

Originally posted by hrmax
I have heard that Valvoline's new full synthetic is better than Mobil 1. They make a 5W-40.
Old 10-11-2001, 01:35 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I heard that Amsoil is the best of them all so it must be

My wife's sister's boyfriend's cousin's daughter, who is Jeff92se's cousins's sister's grandmother's aunt's husband's son's father's son-in-law agrees with that just because.

Others look here to actually gain lab proven info:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=51607
Old 10-11-2001, 01:39 PM
I'm needing a caw

Holy crap! We are related! lol

Originally posted by bill99gxe

My wife's sister's boyfriend's cousin's daughter, who is Jeff92se's cousins's sister's grandmother's aunt's husband's son's father's son-in-law agrees with that just because.

Old 10-11-2001, 01:39 PM

Bill99gxe before posting this i checked your tread which you made "stiky" and guess what? no usefull info there!

Firts of all different regions use different oil, where cali and ny use different oil, second at all it does not show how many bottles suggested to buy.

next time be nicer No need to intro me to your family and keep it to yourself this board is about maxima as Daniel b. martin says, nothing personal!
Old 10-11-2001, 01:42 PM
I'm needing a caw

Ah.. you don't know how much oil to buy and you are attempting to educate Bill on which oil is "best" to use?

As for no info in the "sticky" that's bs. It's more than you probably understand. Or else you wouldn't be asking such basic questions about how much oil your car requires during an oil change.

Originally posted by cooler2000

Bill99gxe before posting this i checked your tread which you made "stiky" and guess what? no usefull info there!

Firts of all different regions use different oil, where cali and ny use different oil, second at all it does not show how many bottles suggested to buy.

next time be nicer No need to intro me to your family and keep it to yourself this board is about maxima as Daniel b. martin says, nothing personal!
Old 10-11-2001, 01:44 PM

Ah.. you don't know how much oil to buy and you are attempting to educate Bill on which oil is "best" to use?

As for no info in the "sticky" that's bs. It's more than you probably understand. Or else you wouldn't be asking such basic questions about how much oil your car requires during an oil change.

true i never did and will not do it, but do not trust my mechanic to pick one for me, so wana to buy and bring it into shop so i will be assured that i have what i want!
Old 10-11-2001, 01:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

Ok I'll make it really easy. Read this link and formulate your own opinion. Since you don't trust your mechanic, I don't see you trusting us either. http://mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt

true i never did and will not do it, but do not trust my mechanic to pick one for me, so wana to buy and bring it into shop so i will be assured that i have what i want!
Old 10-11-2001, 01:54 PM

[flame school back in session]

That's about as intelligent as me stating: "Guess what? I checked your brain and found no useful info there!"

Did you actually read anything in there, or did you just click on the link and notice all the pretty bold words and a file attachment? Your own statement proves you are either:

A) stupid
B) lazy
C) ignorant
D) all of the above

Right now, I'm leaning towards D.

A) California and New York use different oil? WTF are you referring to? If you actually look in your owner's manual (I know, I know, that requires work. But give it a shot.), you can see what viscosities are recommended in "extreme" climates. For your winter concerns 0W-30 should be fine.

B) Your owner's manual tells you how many quarts of oil you should buy.

C) This post is very helpful as well. Did you bother looking at it?:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=45742

D) You're wasting our time in this thread.

next time be nicer
Next time, act like you have a brain.

No need to intro me to your family and keep it to yourself
No need to be a stupid member in the forums. Try re-searching and actually clicking on the links in the posts titled "IMPORTANT" at the top of the forum page. They are "important" for a reason: to keep ignorant members from making fools of themselves in front of other members. Looks like you failed to do that.

this board is about maxima as Daniel b. martin says, nothing personal!
This board is about the Maxima and copious amounts of information are available. You conduct yourself in a stupid, lazy manner and expect us to bend over and give you widely known information that a toddler could locate. Look in the mirror and you will find where the problem lies.

But, hey, it's nothing personal.

And have a nice day!

[/flame school back in session]
Old 10-11-2001, 03:05 PM

Yeah, what Bill said. (I dare not cross him.)
Old 10-11-2001, 03:07 PM

Old 10-11-2001, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Yeah, what Bill said. (I dare not cross him.)
I will! Bill don't you know this guy is the smartest newbie to the board?!?! You know nothing about oil despite your hours of research, how dare you try to offer advise??

(I'm still getting my revenge for the waterpik incident)
Old 10-11-2001, 03:37 PM
I'm needing a caw

Actually, if this person doesn't trust him to pick the oil, I'm not 100% sure I'd want him touching my car in the first place.

Just a thought.
Old 10-11-2001, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Mustang1999

I will! Bill don't you know this guy is the smartest newbie to the board?!?! You know nothing about oil despite your hours of research, how dare you try to offer advise??

(I'm still getting my revenge for the waterpik incident)
Yeah, true. Research and lab analyses at $20 a pop with several different cars with a full spreadsheet comparison just isn't useful information.

What was I thinking?
Old 10-11-2001, 03:42 PM

Yeah, true. Research and lab analyses at $20 a pop with several different cars with a full spreadsheet comparison just isn't useful information.

What was I thinking?

Not to mention they are from different parts of the country! You should be ashamed of yourself.
Old 10-11-2001, 03:46 PM

And different oils, oil viscosities, and vehicles.

Stupid-good-for-nothing-lack-of-information-Oil-Spreadsheet
Old 10-11-2001, 03:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

In my case, I almost don't want to know. har-har. But it's probably the same as 50% of the other older maximas that haven't had their oil looked at.

I see yours is holding up extremely well Bill.

And different oils, oil viscosities, and vehicles.

Stupid-good-for-nothing-lack-of-information-Oil-Spreadsheet
Old 10-11-2001, 03:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: What kind of Motor oil to get?

Soon is my schedulled change of motor oil and i do not trust my mechanic to pick one for me. so i decided to buy it on my own at local auto store. so need to buy syntetic one. The question is what kind i should buy? I like mobil 1 but saw diff kind with various numbers, but no idea which one is good for maxima. I drive in NYC and prepare car for winter season.

Thanks in advance!
I just got back from the store with 5 quarts of Mobil 1 10w30 tri-synthetic. I am gonna put it in either tomorrow or Saturday.
Old 10-11-2001, 03:56 PM

Re: Re: What kind of Motor oil to get?

Originally posted by WaarrEagle

I just got back from the store with 5 quarts of Mobil 1 10w30 tri-synthetic. I am gonna put it in either tomorrow or Saturday.
Good choice.

But treat your Max to a Mobile 1 oil filter as well.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:03 PM

In my case, I almost don't want to know. har-har. But it's probably the same as 50% of the other older maximas that haven't had their oil looked at.

I see yours is holding up extremely well Bill.

Jeff doesn't want me updating his with the latest results.....I anticipate another update at the end of this month.

It's sad. The oil in my 94 is "cleaner" than the oil in the 99.

Yet another advantage of the 3rd gens....
Old 10-11-2001, 05:14 PM

one caution to add

I called Mobil recently before putting Mobil 1 Synth in and spoke to
someone in tech support about using synth in my '97 60,000 mile SE. He said as long as the engine dosen't leak or burn oil and is in good mechanical shape a synthetic oil would be ok to use.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: What kind of Motor oil to get?

Good choice.

But treat your Max to a Mobile 1 oil filter as well.
I bought a stock Nissan oil filter. I saw that site that compared them to some other brand and found the Nissan better. Is the Mobil one even better?
Old 10-11-2001, 06:02 PM
KCTYPHOON

bro.. dont worry about it. theres a small number of people on this bored that believe themselves to be supreme beings.. dont sweat it, most of us dont listen to them anyway

Old 10-11-2001, 06:59 PM

I've gone through the synthetic oil stage already, and it isn't what the hipe suggests. I am very good friends with a professional mechanic. He is the owner of a shop that specializes in custom body and engine work. He has been doing oil changes for even longer than his shop has been open. We put castrol synthetic in my car two oil changes ago... his thoughts were that it was a waste of money. I went ahead and went through with it, and he showed me that there was no significant benefit to synthetic oil to most cars made in the ninety's. Will your car last an extra 100 miles in the end, probably, but is it worth paying more for every quart of oil... no. They way he put it to me was this, if it makes you happy, get it. If you think that synthetic oil works better, then get some, otherwise dont. Just dont ask questions because nobody has proved that synthetic oil benefits new cars. Oh yea, on the question of viscosity, i use 5w20 and i will never change that. I have tried different viscosities and it is definitely the cleanest.
Old 10-11-2001, 07:56 PM

Ditto

Yup, I heard very similar recommendations as your mechanic has said. The important thing is get a good quality filter and change your oil on schedule.

Originally posted by jay_johnson
I've gone through the synthetic oil stage already, and it isn't what the hipe suggests. I am very good friends with a professional mechanic. He is the owner of a shop that specializes in custom body and engine work. He has been doing oil changes for even longer than his shop has been open. We put castrol synthetic in my car two oil changes ago... his thoughts were that it was a waste of money. I went ahead and went through with it, and he showed me that there was no significant benefit to synthetic oil to most cars made in the ninety's. Will your car last an extra 100 miles in the end, probably, but is it worth paying more for every quart of oil... no. They way he put it to me was this, if it makes you happy, get it. If you think that synthetic oil works better, then get some, otherwise dont. Just dont ask questions because nobody has proved that synthetic oil benefits new cars. Oh yea, on the question of viscosity, i use 5w20 and i will never change that. I have tried different viscosities and it is definitely the cleanest.
Old 10-11-2001, 09:53 PM

I've gone through the synthetic oil stage already, and it isn't what the hype suggests.
I corrected your spelling unless you were referring to a hippie. ''

We put castrol synthetic in my car two oil changes ago...

I went ahead and went through with it, and he showed me that there was no significant benefit to synthetic oil to most cars made in the ninety's.
How did he show you and what was your oil drain interval and did you get a sample tested for quality or do the more common practice, take it for granted the oil and car manufacturer's hype about how long the oil will last before really finding out.

They way he put it to me was this, if it makes you happy, get it. If you think that synthetic oil works better, then get some, otherwise dont.
I have to agree with this part as many people, including me are superstitious about their engines. Seems straight to the point.

...nobody has proved that synthetic oil benefits new cars.
''Ah,...right...I'mmmmm gonna ... have to go ahead and ...disagree with you on this one. I have personal experience and although I have the research info to back it up, I will not badger some one for using the dino oil. There's nothing wrong with it at all...I just like the better mousetrap.
Old 10-11-2001, 10:37 PM

Always, Amsoil 5W-30{High Performance }.
Old 10-11-2001, 11:41 PM
I'm needing a caw

I've gone through the synthetic oil stage already, and it isn't what the hipe suggests.
To the contrary, more cars than ever before are coming w/ synthetic from the factory.

[i]I am very good friends with a professional mechanic. He is the owner of a shop that specializes in custom body and engine work. He has been doing oil changes for even longer than his shop has been open. We put castrol synthetic in my car two oil changes ago... his thoughts were that it was a waste of money. I went ahead and went through with it, and he showed me that there was no significant benefit to synthetic oil to most cars made in the ninety's. [/B]
As noted above, more and more cars are coming with sythentic as standard equipment. The reason why is becuase with stricter emission and hp pressures from the govt and the public, engines must be built to tighter and tighter clearances in the bearings, rings, etc...Thus an oil that has more consistent structure, less unwanted ingredients and much better performance in the lubrication/protection is needed.

I also ask, how did you come to the conclusion that there was no "significant benefit"? Without sending the oil out for analysis, it would be impossible to come to any conclusions. I also add that two oil changes would only represent about 5% of the life of the engine. So small changes in performance might lead to significant diffences in the long run. Again hardly measurable w/o carefull analysis of the oil.

[i]Will your car last an extra 100 miles in the end, probably, but is it worth paying more for every quart of oil... no. They way he put it to me was this, if it makes you happy, get it. If you think that synthetic oil works better, then get some, otherwise dont. Just dont ask questions because nobody has proved that synthetic oil benefits new cars. Oh yea, on the question of viscosity, i use 5w20 and i will never change that. I have tried different viscosities and it is definitely the cleanest. [/B]
I think there is alot of data that suggests that using synthetics on a newer car is the BEST time to do it. Synthetics have proven themselves many times over. Their superiority over dino oil is unquestionable. Now the real question is the difference in quality worth it to you? Normal is fine, no one disputes this. Just don't dispute the fact that synthetics are superior in almost every area. Now on the 5w20, Bill has given a VERY good argument as to why this is more for enconomy than for actual protection. Again, how did you come to the coclusion that 5w20 is any "cleaner" than any other weight? Again w/o analysis, it's impossible to tell. Color is not an accurate indication of the oil's performance.

Now, this is the 5-6 time, I've said all this, it's in all the stickes and in many of the links already provided. I just ask you to at least read the links and then make your opinion. Even add some of your own links. Again I don't doubt you or your mechanic's knowledge. I just question his opinion and the source of his conclusions.
Old 10-12-2001, 06:30 AM

Originally posted by KCTYPHOON
bro.. dont worry about it. theres a small number of people on this bored that believe themselves to be supreme beings.. dont sweat it, most of us dont listen to them anyway

board = bored?

Hmmm...so pointing out facts = supreme beings.......OK

The statement that you don't listen just further solidifies the consensus that you can't install an FSTB without breaking it.

And, once again, you took the first shot.
Old 10-12-2001, 07:18 AM

As noted above, more and more cars are coming with sythentic as standard equipment.
Couldn't this be because the oil company just paid them to do it?
I don't think that we should take everything that these companies say for fact. Let's remember they are trying to make money. If they can find a way to feed off of peoples "superstitions" then most of the time they will.
I'm not saying that synthetic isn't as good as advertised, but it does make you wonder why everyone doesn't use it. Why hasn't it become a standard? Kind of like those XR-71's and Prolong's. If NASA has really placed XR-71 in the space technology hall of fame, does that really mean it is good for our cars? And why hasn't that become a standard?

Just some points to ponder from an average comsumer.
Old 10-12-2001, 07:43 AM

The oil in my moms 2001 es300 is full syn

It is clear too, when new that is, but I mean CLEAR. I am doing my 8th oil change with mobil1 full syn. I really feel improvement. I can tell when it's time for a change by my cars acceleration. I use a purolator pure 1 filter, nice blue color.
Old 10-12-2001, 07:56 AM

Great post!!!! I question the 5W 20 viscosity, isn't that a bit thin?
Old 10-12-2001, 08:04 AM

5W-20 is discussed in here:

If jay_johnson wants to be a test case, that's fine with me.

VQ was designed to run on 5W-30, not 5W-20.

5W-20 oils are recommended to be replaced MORE frequently than any other viscosity, which means they tend to break down quicker. Even Amsoil won't guarantee theirs beyond 7500 miles. That has told me enough to know not to use 5W-20 until engines are designed around it, which none have been as of yet.
Old 10-12-2001, 08:33 AM

Admin Options:
Open / Close
Move / Copy
Delete
Edit
Merge
Split
Stick / Unstick

Quick Reply: What kind of Motor oil to get?