4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ignition Prob on my '96...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2000, 08:24 PM
PensaMax

New to the site. Tried to look over past threads to make sure this isn't a common prob. Hopefully not asking for info on something right under my nose.

Anyway, my '96 Maxima (which doesn't get driven all that often - 55k miles) has developed what I guess is an ignition switch failure/problem over the past month. Considering the vehicle doesn't take much abuse, I wondered if this is nothing new to you regs?

Turning the key gives me power (fan, stereo, etc) but does not engage the ignition without some crafty jiggling or even an experienced jerk of the steering wheel. Once the switch does "recognize" my attempts, the car starts as easy as the day I bought it. Clearly not a battery, alternator or whatever else prob. Either the switch itself or some sort of short in the system I'd think.

Any ideas?

It has become progressively worse over the last couple of weeks. Even scaring me into thinking I was gonna be stranded a couple of times. Other than that, it is sorta embarrasing to go thru the motions needed to make it start right now. I look like I'm stealing my own car! :-)

Not much of a mechanic, but wondering if I could attempt to solve this myself without it getting too far over my head. Whatever the case, I sure hope I don't end up losing my factory key as the "starter" for my car.

Thanks for any input.

Old 10-31-2000, 09:17 PM

starter

This is actually seems to be a common problem with maxima's ( at least 4th gen. ). There was another post about the same thing how when he turned the ignition nothing happened. Everyone who had replied who had the same problem said they got a new starter and it was fixed. I also got a new starter around 40k, I didn't need it then, but it was free because a friend worked at the dealership so I got a bunch of stuff I didn't need replaced for free. Anyways the only temporary solution to this ( imo ) is to prime the fuel pump before you start the car. You should do this before you start the car anyways just because it's better for it. To prime the fuel pump you simply turn the key 2 notche's and all the lights on the dash will light up and you'll hear beeps, and wait about 10 seconds. After 10 seconds is over by then all the lights will have shut off and then try to start your car. Also you might notice when your car is below a half tank, it will probably be harder to start, that's also why I always fill up at a half tank. So basically ( imo ) keep above a half a tank of gas in your car, and prime the fuel pump everytime before you start it. Other than that it sounds like a new starter will be a permanent fix.
Another flaw with maxima's ( 4th gen.'s ( imo ) ) is the emergency brake cable. I got a new one at 50k and it had just been ripped and rusted, it was terrible looking. I also looked at other posts and noticed others had the same problem. So if you go in to get a new starter and they say something about the e-brake cable, they probably aren't trying to take you for a sucker.

-nate
96 se 55k
Old 10-31-2000, 11:48 PM
mrloyd

real culprit

The real problem here is not actually the starter, but in most cases it is the starter silonoid(sp?), which is the little electrical gizmo attached to the top of the starter. Ive had this issue with several cars. It hits a "dead spot" which can be fiked by moving the crankshaft a little. If you have amanual, just roll the car a little and then put it in gear to bump the engine a little. If you have auto, try turning the crankshaft(hard on max due to location), or try sticking something down there and hit the thing a little. Hope this helps. If this doesn't, i think you can replace this unit seperately from the starter.

Old 07-18-2002, 08:21 PM

Re: real culprit

Mr. Loyd,

It seemed that I just got this problem since last month.....but I need more info in this solenoid thing. Where is this solenoid thing?

Driver's side engine bay? passenger's side?

Originally posted by mrloyd
The real problem here is not actually the starter, but in most cases it is the starter silonoid(sp?), which is the little electrical gizmo attached to the top of the starter. Ive had this issue with several cars. It hits a "dead spot" which can be fiked by moving the crankshaft a little. If you have amanual, just roll the car a little and then put it in gear to bump the engine a little. If you have auto, try turning the crankshaft(hard on max due to location), or try sticking something down there and hit the thing a little. Hope this helps. If this doesn't, i think you can replace this unit seperately from the starter.