4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Another inexplicable and disturbing phenomenon. Expert opinions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 07:02 PM

Another inexplicable and disturbing phenomenon. Expert opinions needed.

Ok, so I install the PRCAI and go for a test drive. I go around the block and tried to do a U-turn, but I didnt have enough room so I was gonna back up a bit but the gear selector would not not move into R !! (my max is auto)
It "hesistantly" moved into N, but wouldn't budge anymore upwards. It felt like a hand was pushing the shift **** in the opposite direction, while I was trying to push it up past N and into R.
I had to put it in N and push my car backwards so there is enough room to complete my uturn. I drove 30 minutes to work, and it was fine after that. It's been 2 days now and it's fine and it looks like it's gonna stay like that.

At first I thought maybe I left one of my screw drivers in the engine bay and it fell and hit something, but I checked all my tools and I didn't leave any in the engine bay.

While this was happening, I didn't see any check engine light and the car sounded and drove very normal. I drove this car 100K miles in 3 years so I almost know it like my body.

This is disturbing!!! Someone please explain !!

thanks..
Old 10-11-2001, 07:22 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

maybe it's just one of those weird one time things. weird **** like this has happened to me and just stopped. if it doesn't come back i don't ask question.
Old 10-11-2001, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
maybe it's just one of those weird one time things. weird **** like this has happened to me and just stopped. if it doesn't come back i don't ask question.

Happened to me, turned out to be a penny that had slipped under the shifter and was jamming the shifter from moving down, unless you "jimmied" it out of the way, but the problem would come back in a few days...finally took the console apart and found it, all mangled from me smashing on it. Still have it too, along witht he shaved quarter the got lodged in the passnger side rail under the seat :P
Old 10-11-2001, 07:34 PM

I had a nickle in the passenger seat track.

It crumbled like foil.
Old 10-11-2001, 07:40 PM

Re: Another inexplicable and disturbing phenomenon. Expert opinions needed.

Weird, this happened to me with my Sentra. Turned out to be a relay. I also lost the tach, dome light, A/C and shifter didn't move. Go figure??? Any way if it's gone keep your fingers crossed, but not while driving.

Originally posted by hokiemax
Ok, so I install the PRCAI and go for a test drive. I go around the block and tried to do a U-turn, but I didnt have enough room so I was gonna back up a bit but the gear selector would not not move into R !! (my max is auto)
It "hesistantly" moved into N, but wouldn't budge anymore upwards. It felt like a hand was pushing the shift **** in the opposite direction, while I was trying to push it up past N and into R.
I had to put it in N and push my car backwards so there is enough room to complete my uturn. I drove 30 minutes to work, and it was fine after that. It's been 2 days now and it's fine and it looks like it's gonna stay like that.

At first I thought maybe I left one of my screw drivers in the engine bay and it fell and hit something, but I checked all my tools and I didn't leave any in the engine bay.

While this was happening, I didn't see any check engine light and the car sounded and drove very normal. I drove this car 100K miles in 3 years so I almost know it like my body.

This is disturbing!!! Someone please explain !!

thanks..
Old 10-11-2001, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
Your car is haunted!!!
Old 10-12-2001, 01:01 AM

wierd things happened to me too when I got my shifter. The button would not push in so it was stuck in park and when it finally pushed in it wouldnt go back down! All it needed was some oil
Old 10-12-2001, 01:04 AM

some things have answers that can only be answered by those who know....whatever the hell that means