4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

car stalled

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 07:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

car stalled

This was the second time it happened. First time since I had the S/C installed. Anyway, I was going home, heading down an off-ramp, as I was going down the off-ramp, I rev the car a bit, and the car stalled. I was like WTH?! At first I was confused at what was wrong. When I realized my car just stalled, I was a bit nervous. Good thing for me I was approaching a traffic light. The light was green, but there was a bit of traffic ahead of me. So, it gave me the chance to turn the key to off position and tried to start the car up again. Thank god the car started up, I was afraid that I couldn't start the car and I would have to just sit there blocking traffic! Mind you, I have an automatic. Anyone has an idea what might have caused the stalling? I checked afterward if there was some sort of oil leak or any other signs that could give me a clue on the problem. I didn't find any.

Btw, on a side note, I noticed my car once again seem to lag a bit when I tried to floor the gas on the highway. The next time I think I'll try what Cheston suggested to me. To take foot off gas and then step on it again, I haven't try that yet, so who knows if it would work.
Old 10-14-2001, 07:40 PM

Re: car stalled

Originally posted by Cumalot
This was the second time it happened. First time since I had the S/C installed. Anyway, I was going home, heading down an off-ramp, as I was going down the off-ramp, I rev the car a bit, and the car stalled. I was like WTH?! At first I was confused at what was wrong. When I realized my car just stalled, I was a bit nervous. Good thing for me I was approaching a traffic light. The light was green, but there was a bit of traffic ahead of me. So, it gave me the chance to turn the key to off position and tried to start the car up again. Thank god the car started up, I was afraid that I couldn't start the car and I would have to just sit there blocking traffic! Mind you, I have an automatic. Anyone has an idea what might have caused the stalling? I checked afterward if there was some sort of oil leak or any other signs that could give me a clue on the problem. I didn't find any.

Btw, on a side note, I noticed my car once again seem to lag a bit when I tried to floor the gas on the highway. The next time I think I'll try what Cheston suggested to me. To take foot off gas and then step on it again, I haven't try that yet, so who knows if it would work.
Could you explain in more detail of how the car stalls? Like when, how, etc. It might be your MAFS .
Old 10-14-2001, 07:46 PM

Re: Re: car stalled

Originally posted by emax95

Could you explain in more detail of how the car stalls? Like when, how, etc. It might be your MAFS .
Seems to be a lot of bad MAFS lately.
Old 10-14-2001, 07:51 PM

How it stalled? Well, like I said, when I was coming down the off ramp, I gave it a little gas. All of a sudden, the car shuts off. Everything else still worked except the car seem to just shuts off by itself. You know when you have the keys in the ignition in the ON position, but you don't turn the key to start the car? Well, that how it was, all the lights came on. I don't know how else to describe it. I had to turn the key to the OFF position and then tried to start the car again, which it did started with no problem. Btw, what's MAFS?
Old 10-14-2001, 07:53 PM

How it stalled? Well, like I said, when I was coming down the off ramp, I gave it a little gas. All of a sudden, the car shuts off. Everything else still worked except the car seem to just shuts off by itself. You know when you have the keys in the ignition in the ON position, but you don't turn the key to start the car? Well, that how it was, all the lights came on. I don't know how else to describe it. I had to turn the key to the OFF position and then tried to start the car again, which it did started with no problem. Btw, what's MAFS?
MAFS=Mass Air Flow Sensor
Old 10-14-2001, 07:54 PM

Hm...and how can you tell if it's a MAFS problem?
Old 10-14-2001, 07:57 PM

Hm...and how can you tell if it's a MAFS problem?
It can be tested with a multimeter for voltage. Let me grab my manual.
Old 10-14-2001, 08:01 PM

You can check the MAFS by backprobing the connector. With the ignition switch ON and the engine stopped, voltage should be <1.0 volt.
With the engine idling and at operating temp, voltage should be 1.0-1.7 volts. With the engine at approx 2,500 rpm voltage should be 1.5-2.1 volts.
(Note: You should observe a linear voltage rise in response to increases in engine rpm, up to about 4k)
If the voltage is not within specs, check the power and ground circuits.
Old 10-14-2001, 08:03 PM

I must warn you though. I recently had a MAFS go bad and when I tested it it tested out OK. Even if it tests within spec it's hard to rule it out.
Old 10-14-2001, 08:45 PM

Ravq: thanks for the information. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Btw, how did you know your MAFS was bad if it tested out fine?
Old 10-14-2001, 08:48 PM

Ravq: thanks for the information. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Btw, how did you know your MAFS was bad if it tested out fine?
Well I took a chance and bought a used MAFS and replaced it and it worked after that. If you know someone with a Max that would be willing to let you swap MAFS you could test it that way too. If not emax recommended www.car-part.com which is where I got a used MAFS for a good price.
Old 10-14-2001, 09:08 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

You might have a fuel problem. Check all your fuel lines. Make sure they don't get pinched or kinked.
Old 10-14-2001, 10:31 PM

i had the same problem with my maxima. first i changed the TPS (trottle position sensor) that was not it, so it should be the MAFS b/c thats what the code says. i had a buddy maxima help me do the swap while his maxima still had warranty. thanks, you know who you are .hehe
Old 10-14-2001, 10:34 PM

Re: car stalled

I've heard of this problem, I believe Loren found a cheap fix for it also. The info is in this thread below.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....D+supercharger

Old 10-14-2001, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
I've heard of this problem, I believe Loren found a cheap fix for it also. The info is in this thread below.

Good lookin out! That sounds more like his problem.
Old 10-15-2001, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by Nismo87SE

Interesting. When Matt helped me install the S/C, he already did the fuel pump always on mod. So...