4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Removing door dings??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 03:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Removing door dings??

I just got my new used Max. I turned in my 97 GLE after the lease and bought a 96 GXE w/ 75k on it. They run and drive exactly the same. These are by far the smoothest cars I've ever driven. The one I got has one wide (~10") and shallow (less than 1/2") dent at the front of the driver's door. The center of it is right behind the side moulding. Is it possible to take the door panel off on the inside and push it out somehow on these cars? My old Accord had tons of bracing back there, so I couldn't get to the back side of the door shell. I already tried a plunger, no luck.

THanks for any help.
Old 10-16-2001, 04:12 PM

I know there's companies that "suck" the ding out. I hear they are VERY good, and don't need to take apart the inside or anything.

However, I have no idea how much they cost, if anyone knows, please post, as I have two dings from one stupid lady who let her shopping cart run into me and another probably from another stupid lady that opened her door into my Max.
Old 10-16-2001, 04:14 PM

Re: Removing door dings??

Originally posted by colinc
I just got my new used Max. I turned in my 97 GLE after the lease and bought a 96 GXE w/ 75k on it. They run and drive exactly the same. These are by far the smoothest cars I've ever driven. The one I got has one wide (~10") and shallow (less than 1/2") dent at the front of the driver's door. The center of it is right behind the side moulding. Is it possible to take the door panel off on the inside and push it out somehow on these cars? My old Accord had tons of bracing back there, so I couldn't get to the back side of the door shell. I already tried a plunger, no luck.

THanks for any help.

Hahaha I thought you wer meaning the door chime when you leave the door open with the key out.

Anyway, there isnt much in the door. Go for it. Seems like you could only make it better
Old 10-16-2001, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by mrb23
I know there's companies that "suck" the ding out. I hear they are VERY good, and don't need to take apart the inside or anything.

However, I have no idea how much they cost, if anyone knows, please post, as I have two dings from one stupid lady who let her shopping cart run into me and another probably from another stupid lady that opened her door into my Max.
They usually price it by the panel which is around $120 per panel. Depending on the location, they usually are very good in removing the dent. If not possible they let you know and do not charge you.

I had a big dent and a few small ones removed in the hood and door of my car. They charged me by the panel. I got 50% off just because I know the guy.

Carpoint run an article about this "Paintless Dent Repair" Check it at http://carpoint.msn.com/advice/news_4018966_6.asp

Old 10-16-2001, 06:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Removing door dings??

There is a crumple bar right around there (mid height).

Regardless, I seriously would recommend you have a professional look at your car. If no damage was done to the paint, consider going to Dent Wizard. They can do dents that large. Otherwise, go to an autobody shop. I think trying to hammer the dent out will not result in a good cosmetic result--in fact, I'm almost positive. You may even be doing more harm than good. You will be kicking yourself later for messing up your car.

Trust me. I tried fixing a ding that was the size of a quarter but noticeably deep. Bugged the hell out of me seeing that on my baby. Tried hammering it out. It wasn't pretty. To make a long story short, my car is at the autobody now getting a $400 repair (not even including rental car) when Dent Wizard could have done the work originally for $99 (albeit without any paint retouch).

*Don't even try it*