4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

will a modded auto beat a stock 5 spd

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 05:24 PM

will a modded auto beat a stock 5 spd

how will an 95 auto with intake,y-pipe, RT cat,and Apex-i cat-back exhaust.....do against a stock 5 spd 4gen, 5gen
Old 10-16-2001, 05:27 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

it would still lose off the line...by a lot...
Old 10-16-2001, 05:32 PM
Former Sponsor

get a vb mod and maybe you'll get lucky
Old 10-16-2001, 05:34 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by mzmtg
it would still lose off the line...by a lot...

you know.....
that really FAWKING SUCKS!!! Damn slow automagics
Old 10-16-2001, 05:35 PM

where around North east can i get a vb mod and how much
Old 10-16-2001, 05:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

www.mobiletek.net

Don's website. Check it out.... and try the search function too
Old 10-16-2001, 05:43 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: will a modded auto beat a stock 5 spd

Originally posted by BLacKMax69
how will an 95 auto with intake,y-pipe, RT cat,and Apex-i cat-back exhaust.....do against a stock 5 spd 4gen, 5gen
i have a cai,y-pipe,cat back exhaust and i have beaten an stock AUTO 5th gen. it was from like a 30 mph roll. have not raecd a 5 speed. just trying to help
Old 10-16-2001, 05:44 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

where around North east can i get a vb mod and how much

Level 10 makes one, it's like 600$? i think.. not sure though. They are located in Jersey but will ship.

The popular, prime choice for people here on the org is MobileTek Valve body recalibrated by one of the members "Don in Texas". It's like 400$ and you need to send in your old valve body. Honestly, I think I'll quit trying to make my maxima "fast" because it will never be that. I'll focus on handling, comfort, stereo and show mods.. then one day I'll get a 5 spd and supercharge it
Old 10-16-2001, 05:45 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Re: will a modded auto beat a stock 5 spd

Originally posted by bags533

i have a cai,y-pipe,cat back exhaust and i have beaten an stock AUTO 5th gen. it was from like a 30 mph roll. have not raecd a 5 speed. just trying to help
You're just damn thankful you got your car up to 137mph...FINALLY!

(In heavy traffic, in the middle of the day, with poor Ming hanging on for dear life....)
Old 10-16-2001, 05:55 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: Re: Re: will a modded auto beat a stock 5 spd

Originally posted by mzmtg

You're just damn thankful you got your car up to 137mph...FINALLY!

(In heavy traffic, in the middle of the day, with poor Ming hanging on for dear life....)
YOU DAMN RIGHT
Old 10-16-2001, 06:04 PM
Ramius83

Those darn crazy southeast people.

Old 10-16-2001, 06:34 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

You guys really rag on automagics...

Have any of you ever driven a '95 Auto GXE ?? That thing has some nice pull off the line...I can't imagine an average 5spd driver pulling awefully hard on 'em. I have a question:

I believe that it is very possible for an automagic max to take out a 5spd. Races are alot about the driver, you know. Manuals are fast, but they take precision, and all that damn clutch foot work too. Something the perfect shifting auto doesn't have to worry about. If a 5spd maxima driver was a Novice, I'm SURE a modded '95 auto could take him out. Especially if the auto started out in 1st or 2nd gear. I'm sure many of you have witnessed poor shifting on auto vs. manual races.

Besides theres types of race-cars that are MADE automagic. Slushbox's aint so bad.
Old 10-16-2001, 07:03 PM

my 96

My 96 auto, with CAI, ypipe, and RT cat has kicked the pants off a pretty nice 95 and 97 5 speed at my school on a consistant basis. I know this isn't a fluke either, these guys are good drivers, but after a few mods, an auto will beat a stock 5 speed, and pretty easily might I add.
Old 10-16-2001, 07:12 PM

Re: my 96

Originally posted by operationNOS
My 96 auto, with CAI, ypipe, and RT cat has kicked the pants off a pretty nice 95 and 97 5 speed at my school on a consistant basis. I know this isn't a fluke either, these guys are good drivers, but after a few mods, an auto will beat a stock 5 speed, and pretty easily might I add.
Finally someone who isn't dissin' the autotragic. Did you really beat these maxima 5spds or are you just messin with us for ***** and giggles. I too think it is a very possible feat especially if the driver blows.

Rock-on cruise-o-matics!

Old 10-16-2001, 07:18 PM

My older brother has a 2k 5spd(jwt ypipe) and i have a 99 auto with jwt, ypipe, and exhaust. We have raced many times and he beats me bad off the line. I raced him once from a roll(30-70) when he had the y and jwt and all i had was the jwt and it was close until he hit 3rd. My brothers car is back to stock at the moment and i am gonna try to talk him into racing me when he gets home. If we do it i will let you know the results.
Old 10-16-2001, 07:29 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: You guys really rag on automagics...

did you know I AM AN AUTOMATIC? yes i am. i know the pull of a 97 SE auto. and so does MZMTG he IS a 95 gxe AUTO. btw look at his post about 137 mph. I did that saturday in my automatic. i do not hate on auto's. just informing the author of this post that i have only raced stock 5th gen auto's.
Old 10-16-2001, 07:50 PM
Former Sponsor

i have a 5spd, and i've driven automagic Cefiros and Maxima for years, and all i can say is 5spd rules!
Old 10-16-2001, 08:43 PM

No matter how fast the automatic gets, you just can't touch the "fun to drive" factor of a good manual transmission. -- unless you live in San Fransisco and you are trying to parallel park in a just barely big enough space on a 40 degree incline...
Then maybe an automatic is more fun.
Old 10-16-2001, 09:49 PM

Are you pepole crack heads? How is an automagic with CAI, y-pipe, and exhaust going to lose to a stock 5-speed? Manual trasmission cars are faster, but they arent magic either.
Old 10-16-2001, 09:53 PM

So Far No stock 5 speed has been a match to my 96 auto...
Main Modes: CAI, Y PIPE, VB, GForce ECU, Super light (12 pound) Rims
Old 10-16-2001, 10:35 PM
Former Sponsor

alota people will argue that, the problem with the auto isnt power, but the tranny, and i'm pretty sure unless u have a vb mod it wont be enough to bridge the 1-1.5 second gap between autos and manuals, i'm no expert but thats my conclusion
Old 10-16-2001, 10:51 PM

Depends on the driver of the stick. I've beat 4th and 5th gen 5-speeds...both were bad drivers, but they lost by 2-4 car lengths each. It can happen, but you need luck.

Kirk
Old 10-16-2001, 11:30 PM

What is this "bad driver" cr@p??? I had a thread about the whole novice vs. supposed pro stick drivers a while back, if I can find the link I'll post it. You guys have this notion in your head that most people driving stickshift cars are novices and can't shift or something. Of all the people I know who actually OWN stick-shifts...none of them suck at driving them...especially at full throttle. You let your buddy who's only driven a 5-speed twice go up against a modded auto max in your stock 5-speed and obviously he's going to get whooped...but put the owner in the car and it will be a whole different story. You guys can say what ever you want about the consistancy of autos vs. stick....but I sincerely belive that I can be pretty much just as consistant as any auto. Last time at the track all 8 of my runs were within 1 tenth of each other..and I didn't miss even one gear...actually haven't missed any gears since I got my tranny rebuilt...
Old 10-16-2001, 11:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

aside from the off the line difference, i do believe that 5 speeds when dynoed put more hp to the wheels then autos, enough that modding out an auto will bring it up to par w/a 5 speed in terms of to the wheels hp, but then 5 speeds still have the off the line performance. I honestly don't know if a n/a max could ever beat a 5speed in a race off the line.
Old 10-16-2001, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
What is this "bad driver" cr@p??? I had a thread about the whole novice vs. supposed pro stick drivers a while back, if I can find the link I'll post it. You guys have this notion in your head that most people driving stickshift cars are novices and can't shift or something. Of all the people I know who actually OWN stick-shifts...none of them suck at driving them...especially at full throttle. You let your buddy who's only driven a 5-speed twice go up against a modded auto max in your stock 5-speed and obviously he's going to get whooped...but put the owner in the car and it will be a whole different story. You guys can say what ever you want about the consistancy of autos vs. stick....but I sincerely belive that I can be pretty much just as consistant as any auto. Last time at the track all 8 of my runs were within 1 tenth of each other..and I didn't miss even one gear...actually haven't missed any gears since I got my tranny rebuilt...
Chill bruh...I know that not all people with 5-speeds know how to drive them. I know for a fact that the 4th gen I raced shifted at 5500 rpm cuz he is a wuss. The other one refused to push his to redline and also didnt have the quickest shifts. Not all 5-speed drivers know how to drive them. I had an '85 SE 5-speed before this car and I have beat many a car with that one that I shouldnt have because I can shift better than they can. Better being quicker and while double-clutching. Dont tell me everyone with a 5-speed can drive like I can in it because I know that is crap.

Kirk
Old 10-16-2001, 11:39 PM

I'm not saying that everyone WILL drive like you....they can...but some of them worry too much about hurting their car...it really isn't hard to drive a manual to it's fullest potential....check out this thread from a while back....

https://maxima.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=34861
Old 10-16-2001, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I'm not saying that everyone WILL drive like you....they can...but some of them worry too much about hurting their car...it really isn't hard to drive a manual to it's fullest potential....check out this thread from a while back....

https://maxima.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=34861
Im not saying its hard to shift one. Its just that some people refuse to use them to their potential. For instance the 4th gen I raced that sifted at 5500 rpm. The car can go faster and the tranny is built to do so, he was just a wuss. The 5th gen I raced had sloppy shifts. He took about a full second for each gear change. He just didnt get it right. He would push in the clutch, then grab the shift ****, then shift, grab the wheel again and let out the clutch...once again, car could have gone faster and was built to handle faster shifts. In my case it really was because they couldnt drive their cars. I do not use this term in general and agree with you completely on that thread. But it does not apply in this case.

Kirk
Old 10-16-2001, 11:53 PM

5-speeds are much more fun to drive too...I miss shifting

Kirk
Old 10-17-2001, 01:23 AM
Former Sponsor

I'm one of those 5spd'rs who "cant" drive I dont get the most out of my stick for the most part, I'm soft on the clutch release when coming off a stop, I dont like to try to make the clutch take all the VQs power all at once, I come off the line slow usually when i'm not too serious, but then do perfect redline shifts from there on.

I wont deny a mod'd auto max would beat me most of the time, but I'm also not beating the crap out of my car, if i did, i really find it hard to believe that an auto with the stock shifting patterns could smoke me, the stock 4spd shifts are horrible
Old 10-17-2001, 01:53 AM

Re: will a modded auto beat a stock 5 spd

with those mods you should take a stock 5 speed no problem. dont know what people are thinkin...
Old 10-17-2001, 02:10 AM
Former Sponsor

i duno, an idea go check the quarter mile times on the board and see how many no vb maxs run high 14 or very low 15 quarters, I maybe wrong but i dont think there are many of them
Old 10-17-2001, 06:12 AM

The thing that sucks is auto's lose 5% more power to the wheels than manuals. And our shift from 1st-2nd is WEAK. Perfect shift, but weak shift. Manual tranny's are also lighter. 5spds have so much more say in how the car drives than auto's do. It gives them total control of when to change gears, like if we are going around a corner, and the damn auto shifts, we try to accelerate and it dogs (unless we floor it). 5spds have the ability to do whatever they want, and they have quite a bit more torque throughout the gears.

And about the 5spds not being able to drive, a stick isn't hard at all to drive once you get used to it. Anyone can learn. It's just a matter of practice and time. I've driven in a 5spd stock and I can safely say it has alot more pull off the line than my a-magic.
Old 10-17-2001, 06:30 AM

REALLY depends. Seems like some autos are faster than others, for one; driver skill in the 5 spd also comes into play. The times I've raced 5 spds (always modded), I pull on them between shifts, and recently I pulled ahead of one when we reached the top gears.... Just depends on the drivers, really.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by carnal_c30
alota people will argue that, the problem with the auto isnt power, but the tranny, and i'm pretty sure unless u have a vb mod it wont be enough to bridge the 1-1.5 second gap between autos and manuals, i'm no expert but thats my conclusion
Whoa! Manuals are 1.5 seconds faster than autos? I assume were talking quarter mile. It was my belief that a stock manual was .3 seconds faster than a stock auto. Isnt that what the specs say? I think just adding a CAI to an automagic would be enough to take a stock 5 speed. I know manuals are faster and more fun, but like I said before, they arent magic. Intake is all you need. When you add y-pipe and exhaust, theres absolutley no question.
Old 10-17-2001, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by TintDaMax

Whoa! Manuals are 1.5 seconds faster than autos? I assume were talking quarter mile. It was my belief that a stock manual was .3 seconds faster than a stock auto. Isnt that what the specs say? I think just adding a CAI to an automagic would be enough to take a stock 5 speed. I know manuals are faster and more fun, but like I said before, they arent magic. Intake is all you need. When you add y-pipe and exhaust, theres absolutley no question.
With just an intake forget beating a stock maxima, that's not going to happen. But yeah if you have a y-pipe you would probably beat him. All this is assuming it is from a rolling start. From a stop, the stick is definitely going to pull away. One of the cons of an auto
Old 10-17-2001, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor

4th gen 5spd 0-60s go from 6.5-6.6 according to major magazines
4th gen autos are claimed by all the major magazines as 7.8-8.0 but most maxi driver claim its closer to 7.5

HUGE difference, I'm not concrete in my view, its just very hard to beat that difference when the automagic shifts so poorly. Even with more power, the auto still saps that power and prevents you from getting the full benefit of the mod.
Old 10-17-2001, 11:54 AM

I just added Don's VB and it shifts hard... Real hard... If I could only start out at 3500 rpm I'd be set...
Old 10-17-2001, 12:12 PM

well i have a 95 and they do 0-60 in 7.3-7.4 supp.
as for all 5spd doin 0-60 in 6.6 thats not true...only the 95 and 2000-2001 thats what i thought...any ways with these mods how many 1/10 of a sec off should i see. im planing on getting a vb mod for Christmas or my B-day in April
Old 10-17-2001, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by MadMax95
I just added Don's VB and it shifts hard... Real hard... If I could only start out at 3500 rpm I'd be set...
Get a nice high stall torque convertor
Old 10-17-2001, 12:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: my 96

Originally posted by operationNOS
You should try racing a modded 95 5spd max with mods! Back to square one again.

I know you auto lovers don't want to hear it but I completly destroy auto maxima's! A good 4 car lengths from 0-90mph. I know, it's not fair becuase I have a lot of mods.

Quick Reply: will a modded auto beat a stock 5 spd