4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Manual Tranny Fluid Q...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 03:26 PM

Manual Tranny Fluid Q...

Hi, I just checked my car, and noticed the axel seal leaking, the tranny fluid has never been replaced or added in the car. I bought it used a few months ago, and just recently checked for this.

1 - does anyone know why the seal may be leaking?! (The shop said it was a faulty sealant, but could there be something else?)

2 - what kind of fluid should I get, something not expensive and good? (I know those two don't come in the same sentance, but who knows)

3 - any one know where the AirBag sensor is located? for the 4th Gen?

Thank you
Old 10-19-2001, 07:01 AM

Re: Manual Tranny Fluid Q...

Originally posted by Riot^
Hi, I just checked my car, and noticed the axel seal leaking, the tranny fluid has never been replaced or added in the car. I bought it used a few months ago, and just recently checked for this.

1 - does anyone know why the seal may be leaking?! (The shop said it was a faulty sealant, but could there be something else?)

2 - what kind of fluid should I get, something not expensive and good? (I know those two don't come in the same sentance, but who knows)

3 - any one know where the AirBag sensor is located? for the 4th Gen?

Thank you
Hate to say, but this was the symptom of my tranny bearing failure. My local dealer replaced my axle seal twice and the third time Nissan had them open the tranny to find the worn bearings. Apparently the bearings allowed the axle to move around and take out the seal. Luckily I was still under warranty at only 54K miles
'97 SE 5spd. No problems to date at 64K now. Also replaced the clutch, as it cost me only the parts. They said the clutch was due, and I had that chatter or grabby thing goin on. Works great now.
Old 10-19-2001, 07:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2- I don't know about not expensive, but get Red-line MT-90

3- The airbag "computer" is located under the center armrest.

DW
Old 10-19-2001, 01:10 PM

Re: Re: Manual Tranny Fluid Q...

Originally posted by Curt Deiner

Hate to say, but this was the symptom of my tranny bearing failure. My local dealer replaced my axle seal twice and the third time Nissan had them open the tranny to find the worn bearings. Apparently the bearings allowed the axle to move around and take out the seal. Luckily I was still under warranty at only 54K miles
'97 SE 5spd. No problems to date at 64K now. Also replaced the clutch, as it cost me only the parts. They said the clutch was due, and I had that chatter or grabby thing goin on. Works great now.
That doesn't sound good. I don't have warranty anymore.
Do you know how much that bearing costs? I think that is the problem I have, my axle moves a little stretching the seal.
Can you give me more details about this bearing, I have a garage I can do this at, I was just wondering how much the bearing costs!?
Old 10-19-2001, 01:12 PM

About the airbag...

Originally posted by dwapenyi
2- I don't know about not expensive, but get Red-line MT-90

3- The airbag "computer" is located under the center armrest.

DW

Thanks for the info, but do you know where the airbag sensor is located in the bumper area of the car, I think the connection os poor after I had my bumper repainted!?

Thank you again
Old 10-19-2001, 01:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Manual Tranny Fluid Q...

That doesn't sound good. I don't have warranty anymore.
Do you know how much that bearing costs? I think that is the problem I have, my axle moves a little stretching the seal.
Can you give me more details about this bearing, I have a garage I can do this at, I was just wondering how much the bearing costs!?
The bearings were cheap compared to the labor. They actually replaced I think six bearings. I can check my invoice Monday.
You can check with the dealer. They do sometimes go beyond the warranty for unusual problems. If the dealer won't help, you can ask the Nissan field rep or advisor. There's a section in the owners manual on this.
Old 10-19-2001, 02:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Manual Tranny Fluid Q...

Originally posted by Curt Deiner

The bearings were cheap compared to the labor. They actually replaced I think six bearings. I can check my invoice Monday.
You can check with the dealer. They do sometimes go beyond the warranty for unusual problems. If the dealer won't help, you can ask the Nissan field rep or advisor. There's a section in the owners manual on this.
I just phoned the dealership and the bearings were betwen $30-60CA.
And he said there are 4 of them on the manual tranny.
Listen, I am gonna do this at my dad's garage, his mechanic should be able to replace the bearings, but can you PLEASE check the invoice to see what bearings they were.

Just to recap, I want to make sure that you had the same prob as me...
My axel seal, a little ring, is leaking at the top. I have replaced it with an original from the dealer, but it is leaking again, and the axel itself moves alittle when you grab it with your hand and kind of jerk it.

Please post any info you can on this... I don't want to end up replacing my tranny

How much did the whole process cost you (If you don't mind me asking?) and did the new bearing take care of the leak? and probs you had before?

Thank you VERY MUCH!
Old 10-21-2001, 09:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: About the airbag...

Funny, the service manual says there are no sensors located in the bumper. There are, however, 2 satellite sensors located on the left and right hand side at the bottom of B pillar that separates the front and back door. You know when you open your front door, that button on the bottom that turns on your interior light?? Just inside the pillar there, on each side of the car.

DW

Thanks for the info, but do you know where the airbag sensor is located in the bumper area of the car, I think the connection os poor after I had my bumper repainted!?

Thank you again
Old 10-22-2001, 07:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Manual Tranny Fluid Q...

I just phoned the dealership and the bearings were betwen $30-60CA.
And he said there are 4 of them on the manual tranny.
Listen, I am gonna do this at my dad's garage, his mechanic should be able to replace the bearings, but can you PLEASE check the invoice to see what bearings they were.

Just to recap, I want to make sure that you had the same prob as me...
My axel seal, a little ring, is leaking at the top. I have replaced it with an original from the dealer, but it is leaking again, and the axel itself moves alittle when you grab it with your hand and kind of jerk it.

Please post any info you can on this... I don't want to end up replacing my tranny

How much did the whole process cost you (If you don't mind me asking?) and did the new bearing take care of the leak? and probs you had before?

Thank you VERY MUCH!
All mine was covered under warranty, so I just paid $181 for the clutch kit. Here's what they used:
32203-03E10 (1) Bearing, Input S
32223-79E10 (1) Bearing, Needle
32203-03E13 (1) Bearing, Input S
32273-79E00 (1) Bearing, Main SH
38440-96E00 (2) Bearing, Diff
38342-03E01 (1) Seal, Oil-Diff
32113-03E00 (1) Seal

My clutch kit was 30001-16ES0NW
They also replaced the left front wheel bearing 40210-30R01

I guess I'm lucky, got all this work for $195 out the door.
Old 10-22-2001, 07:51 AM
SLOW

I've posted the cost of the input shaft bearing I had to replace about 4 times in various threads, including once in a thread of yours. Again, it was $31.42, and the labor was $600. One of my seals was ruined also, im sure because of the play allowed by the failed bearing.
Old 10-22-2001, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
I've posted the cost of the input shaft bearing I had to replace about 4 times in various threads, including once in a thread of yours. Again, it was $31.42, and the labor was $600. One of my seals was ruined also, im sure because of the play allowed by the failed bearing.
So I guess that part is then called INPUT SHAFT BEARING.

Wow, that was expensive for labor, especially for some $30 part.

did it stop leaking after you took care of the bearing issue?