4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help me with my brand new 99se

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:17 PM

help me with my brand new 99se

So I just purchased (well last month) a fully loaded 1999 Maxima SE from this grandmother who was the only owner and had 116k miles in it for $5,000. I found that a pretty good deal. Engine runs flawless, everything is tight. Basically all I have done to it so far is changed the oil, washed it, and cleaned and polished all the leather, carpet, etc.

Anyways, I'm extremely interested in mods and really just wanted to know what all you guys think I should do with it. Its completely stock with I think every feature you can add on, its the most popular tan color with tan leather interior. The exterior is in perfect condition with no dents and hardly any little scratches, paint is perfect with the exception for a dime sized spot on the spoiler cracked off. Interior is flawless, I mean it has the normal leather creases that you get over time, but other than that, everything is perfect.

I'm not too interested in performance, if I make it faster I will probably become obsessed and get myself into way too much trouble, especially in this resort beach area I live. I've been looking around for a bit and found this deal on ebay for a fully stainless steel catback exhaust 2.5" pipes with 4.5" muffler, please tell me what you think ("http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AME WA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280152136929"). My concerns with are, I don’t see a catalyc converter or a silencer for the muffler, so I’m thinking I’m gonna fail DE inspection easily. Also, on the stock rear bumper the cut out slit for a muffler is exactly 4.5” so that should be taken into consideration if it is to close to the body, wouldn’t that melt paint or something bad?

Here’s the part I’m mostly interested in, how it looks! I’m all about LED brake lights, and I forget his username, but his signature is the back of his car and its all LEDs and it’s a gray car and its pretty much the exact thing I pictured in my mind before I saw his sig. If anyone could link me to some brake lights like that (including spoiler light), that would be awesome! It would also set me up for the future cause I’m planning to paint the car in the spring a graphite/gray and I want to smoke tint all the light lenses.

Interior. I have some questions about the stock bose hu that comes with the premium sound. I’m for sure going to put some subs in the trunk, and was wondering if there were any unused outputs on the unit, so I don’t have to go out and buy another hu just to get a subwoofer out. I actually came across what I think is a pretty sweet deal on ebay for a complete package (“http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300151345146”), as always, please tell me what you think! Also, any comments or recommendations on products and ways to damp the trunk/other parts of the car to eliminate all rattling (obvious places like license plate, fuel door, etc.) and others.

So basically, have at it, tell me what you think are some really good low cost mods!

And the lady said you can fold down the back seats completely flat, and I don’t know if I’m just retarded or what but I can’t figure out how to save the life of me, so if someone could tell me, that would be great.

Oh, and if an admin could give me permissions to search, that would be awesome, cause I need random facts about it when I'm bored and decide I'll check something out to learn how it works, and googling sometimes is annoying and you get more stores then helpful things. If not, so be it, but that would be really helpful.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

And the lady said you can fold down the back seats completely flat, and I don’t know if I’m just retarded or what but I can’t figure out how to save the life of me, so if someone could tell me, that would be great.

Oh, and if an admin could give me permissions to search, that would be awesome, cause I need random facts about it when I'm bored and decide I'll check something out to learn how it works, and googling sometimes is annoying and you get more stores then helpful things. If not, so be it, but that would be really helpful.
The first part is no the whole back seat cannot be folded down...just the middle part....

Also if you want the search function you need to donate....best 20 dollars I ever spent for the max.

Mods are all up to what you want....dont let people on a forum decide what you do and dont like for your car.... happy modding
Old 09-17-2007, 08:32 PM
maxima985spd

Keep it stock you will thank me later. Run it into the ground and save up for a real car.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:16 AM
Former Vendor

those led lights are custom made. stick around for a little before you start dumping money on ebay, you'll learn what to buy. #1 mod in my book, drop it.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:03 AM

I think your looking for Flava_24/7 with the LED tails. IMO 1st thing, wheels and tires. Then drop it. Lower for looks not preformance, so 1.5" or so.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:27 AM
maxima985spd

Lower then wheels/tires

Old 09-18-2007, 01:34 PM

If wheels and tires=true Then
car gets dropped.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:20 PM

Kinda confused with maxima985spd's 1st response but anyways how much do you think a 1.5-2" drop would be (whatever i need for it, plus labor)? Wouldn't the suspension need to be tightened a lot more making it uncomfortable and bumpy for just every day drives? I plan on getting new wheels and tires in about 6k more miles when the tires on it now are worn out.

I don't have the right tool to get the dash off, so I'm really anxious to hear what outputs the stock bose HU has...

Still waiting to hear what some people think of that exhaust as well...

Last edited by ejarmol; 09-18-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Since your 99 SE is so perfect, my suggestion is, keep it intact until something goes wrong.

Mine is 99 GLE. Recently my Bose HU just went out (CD Err). I put it in classified section to give away. Anyway, you won't regret for getting new stereo (either HU or whole thing).

Secondly, if you are not into performance tunning, just don't touch it. You may modify interior light/decal here and there. Max is easy to work with. Check out the stickies to get ideas.

Again, just don't ruin a perfect and nice everyday ride. Enjoy the ride!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 03:45 PM

First off welcome. Kevlo911 is the original maker of the LED tails and he does not currently make any more.

If I were you, I would take it slow on the modding and only replace stuff as its needed. I know it is hard to do but it will save you money in the long run...as I am trying to convince myself to do the same. The modding bug will bite you if you start modding....so try your hardest to stay stock.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:13 PM

i bought a new woodgrain dash kit cause the one on there got moisture between the vinyl top and pattern bottom and is separating

i also bought 2 Pioneer TS-W301R 12" subs, Sound Storm Labs F2800 Mosfet 2-cd Amplifier, Montego Designs BPC-360 Enclosure, Power Acoustik PCNC-1.2F Stiffening Capacitor , Dynamat License Plate Kit and a Dynamate Xtreme Trunk Kit. The amp came with a free kit. Altogether $442.24

hopefully it will all get here in a couple days and I can have fun installing it. I got my plan of action already, I'm gonna run the power for the amp from the battery into the hole above the left wheel well, along the left side of the car into the trunk, then into the capacitor, then ground the neg and pos into the amp. i have a Y four pin clip identical to the ones used to plug in the speakers in back, so I'm gonna splice one end of the rca and solder it to the clip, then put the clip in to the speaker and run it to the amp. haven't decided if i wanna do stereo and keep speakers wired sep, or wire them parallel and the bridge the amp. any advice or things i need to know, anything i have terribly wrong, any tips for running the power wire, etc. please reply
Old 09-19-2007, 07:08 PM
maxima985spd

Kinda confused with maxima985spd's 1st response
What is there to be confused about? Just keep your car stock.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:09 PM
i has college

The car will last you forever if you treat it well. Spend your initial money on redoing 60k maintenance, replacing anything else that's broken, and other general preventative maintenance.

After that, it's up to you; don't get that exhaust system, keep your car quiet. Put that money into a quality suspension, IMO it's the best mod you can do for these cars.