4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A/T Revolution Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:18 AM
98 SE

A/T Revolution Sensor

I have a new to the family 98 SE with 120K and followed the TCM self-diagnosis procedure. It indicated my revolution sensor circuit is shorted or disconnected. It was not disconnected. I tried to remove the sensor for further testing, but couldn't get the plug off of the mounting bracket w/o fear of breaking the plastic plug or the bracket, which also holds two other sensor plugs. There just isn't any room for hand movement to hold the thing when you are on your back. Since I don't know if I need a new sensor ($130 to 160), or whether I have a bad connection or corroded wire, I'm looking for advice and experience from fellow enthusiasts. How many people have actually replaced one because it went bad? Any hints on getting it off the bracket w/o disassembling my engine bay too much. I can't get it from above due to the ABS unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 93SCMax; 09-24-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:43 AM
98 SE

Bump...for another shot at input.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 AM

bump as well...i have that code and wondering what it even does.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:02 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker
bump as well...i have that code and wondering what it even does.
Ooold thread. If you want, I can grab you one from the local yard for cheap, if you're trying to get rid of the code.

The FSM pretty much explains what and how it does what it does.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Ooold thread. If you want, I can grab you one from the local yard for cheap, if you're trying to get rid of the code.

The FSM pretty much explains what and how it does what it does.
lol..i know it's an old thread...i'm going to inspet it tonight and i'll let you know if i need one or not...how cheap are we talking?
Also, can you send me a link for the FSM?
I have the Haynes at home. Does that tell the necessary info i'll need? Viltages, resistances, ect...
Old 01-20-2009, 11:20 AM
No more Maximas...

lol..i know it's an old thread...i'm going to inspet it tonight and i'll let you know if i need one or not...how cheap are we talking?
Also, can you send me a link for the FSM?
I have the Haynes at home. Does that tell the necessary info i'll need? Viltages, resistances, ect...
$20 should cover the cost of the part and time, shipping.

FSM link is in my sig. My Haynes doesn't list the revolution sensor at all, but that's not surprising considering the manual covers 4 different engines in 3 different chassis.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:28 AM

$20 should cover the cost of the part and time, shipping.

FSM link is in my sig. My Haynes doesn't list the revolution sensor at all, but that's not surprising considering the manual covers 4 different engines in 3 different chassis.
true dat....damn, big file. in many threads, i've read that the vss and the revolution sensor are the same thing. Someone also said that it was the Crankshaft Position Sensor ....But on 2 pics I have they look to be in the same spot on the tranny...i even had my intake all off yesterday and never even thought about looki down at it. I need an EGR Solenoid if you can get me one..lol
Thanks for yor help
Old 01-20-2009, 11:31 AM
No more Maximas...

true dat....damn, big file. in many threads, i've read that the vss and the revolution sensor are the same thing. Someone also said that it was the Crankshaft Position Sensor ....But on 2 pics I have they look to be in the same spot on the tranny...i even had my intake all off yesterday and never even thought about looki down at it. I need an EGR Solenoid if you can get me one..lol
Thanks for yor help
I've got an EGR solenoid, sitting here along with all of my EGR parts, heh.

The VSS is located directly above the diff, the revolution sensor is located directly above the gear for the parking pawl; two different sensors, two different locations. The revolution sensor provides a VSS like signal to the TCM, but the VSS is what provides speed data to the ECU and speedo.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:37 AM

I've got an EGR solenoid, sitting here along with all of my EGR parts, heh.

The VSS is located directly above the diff, the revolution sensor is located directly above the gear for the parking pawl; two different sensors, two different locations. The revolution sensor provides a VSS like signal to the TCM, but the VSS is what provides speed data to the ECU and speedo.
as in you do not have one for sale? lol

as long as they are both located near eachother on the tranny, i should be able to find em.
Our junk yards never have anythng for maximas of the 4th gen. Really rare.
I feel special..lol..so i want to keep her going
Old 01-20-2009, 11:50 AM
No more Maximas...

as in you do not have one for sale? lol

as long as they are both located near eachother on the tranny, i should be able to find em.
Our junk yards never have anythng for maximas of the 4th gen. Really rare.
I feel special..lol..so i want to keep her going
Oh, everything's for sale.

Still looking for the EGR solenoid, but I found a damn revolution sensor in my box. I guess I never throw anything away... Once I find the EGR solenoid I'll do both for $40 shipped.

And we really shouldn't do this in the main 4th gen forum.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:58 AM

Oh, everything's for sale.

Still looking for the EGR solenoid, but I found a damn revolution sensor in my box. I guess I never throw anything away... Once I find the EGR solenoid I'll do both for $40 shipped.

And we really shouldn't do this in the main 4th gen forum.
deal..shhh..lol...i'll let ya know...
Old 01-20-2009, 12:07 PM

let me kow if you find a solenoid too..
Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 AM

good news...checked the plug just then, and it's only throwing one code. thats right...plugging that thing in cleared 5 codes...for now at least...lol...I just neeed to check out my front heated O2 sensor...any one know exactly what one this is?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question:

1995 Nissan Maxima.

Revolution sensor on the automatic transmission will not come off (after removing retaining bolt of course). It will rotate no problem but will not lift out of the port.

I don't want to force it. Is there an O-Ring which may cause it to be tight on removal/installation?

Any other issues that would cause it to stick in place

thanks in advance for your help