4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Quieting A Really Loud Exhaust For State Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 04:09 PM

Quieting A Really Loud Exhaust For State Inspection

Alright so my friend has a 98 Maxima SE w/ a Warpspeed exhaust, y-pipe and custom test pipe- all cats eliminated. This set-up is loud enough to the point he can not pass the state inspection. He threw away all stock equipment so his only option is to add some kinda baffle to the exhaust to quiet it down, just long enough to pass inspection! Well, we decided to get this muffler insert (see pic below) and it works very well at quieting the exhaust, however, it's not enough to quiet it to "near stock" levels, so I was wondering, would it help to insert TWO of these silencers into the muffler? I did the measurements and two can fit perfectly fine (back-to-back), but I just wanna make sure we're not causing any problems by creating excessive backpressure and also, if there's any extra benefit of having TWO of these things in there instead of just one. Any advice appreciated, thanks a bunch guys!!
Old 09-23-2007, 04:14 PM
dot dot dot ...

Buy a 5th gen muffler or OEM 4th gen That's ricer crap what you are showing there
Old 09-23-2007, 04:29 PM

with all cats eliminated, would he even pass regardless of noise level?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:31 PM
dot dot dot ...

Old 09-23-2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dave H.
with all cats eliminated, would he even pass regardless of noise level?
Yes, he would - they do not do visual inspections for emissions, only the OBD-II test.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

Not even a tailsniffer deal?
Old 09-23-2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Buy a 5th gen muffler or OEM 4th gen That's ricer crap what you are showing there
Haha ricer crap eh? All we care is that it's enough to quiet the exhaust for a few minutes to pass inspection, it will be removed immediately afterwards. The muffler option isn't do-able as price, fitment issues, installation, removal and effectiveness are all questionable. We just need to consipate the living hell outta this muffler so it's just quiet enough to pass.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Not even a tailsniffer deal?
Nope, that's only on non-OBDII equipped cars. (ie. pre '96)
Old 09-23-2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by ChuckDaMaxRider
Haha ricer crap eh? All we care is that it's enough to quiet the exhaust for a few minutes to pass inspection, it will be removed immediately afterwards. The muffler option isn't do-able as price, fitment issues, installation, removal and effectiveness are all questionable. We just need to consipate the living hell outta this muffler so it's just quiet enough to pass.
just pay somebody thats what i do on my firebird with no cats, exhaust straight out the back
Old 09-23-2007, 05:14 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by ChuckDaMaxRider
Nope, that's only on non-OBDII equipped cars. (ie. pre '96)
FYI: All 4th gens are OBDII’s. But since it wasn’t mandatory until 96, Nissan was ahead of the game.

But the vehicle in question is a 98, correct?
Old 09-23-2007, 05:42 PM

just to answer the qustion you can use 2 of these to quite down the exast but you should drill holes in the outer one the one you woud see if you were looking into the tip of the exhaust. then it should work. you might want to weld them together also because its gonna be a ***** to get the inner one out. if you really want to quite it down you can but some high temp insolation between them and it will act as a sound dedener
Old 09-23-2007, 06:12 PM

How bad is your inspection there? I have a wsp y, hi flow cat, no resonator, and a straight thru muffler and it's LOUD but they dont have a problem with it. What state is this? And if the car is that loud your friend should invest in an electronic actuated silencer. When you see a cop you flip the switch and the thing closes to a set point and you have a stock sounding car. I believe apexi ??? has them, dont quote me but thats where i remember seeing it.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by joepino
just to answer the qustion you can use 2 of these to quite down the exast but you should drill holes in the outer one the one you woud see if you were looking into the tip of the exhaust. then it should work. you might want to weld them together also because its gonna be a ***** to get the inner one out. if you really want to quite it down you can but some high temp insolation between them and it will act as a sound dedener
Thanks for advice Joe...surely some good ideas from you!
I found a "spray-on" sound dampener insulation:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
I figure I could spray this on both of the baffles to really insure it quiets down. Ya think that stuff does what it says it does?
Old 09-23-2007, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by 97maximaman
How bad is your inspection there? I have a wsp y, hi flow cat, no resonator, and a straight thru muffler and it's LOUD but they dont have a problem with it. What state is this? And if the car is that loud your friend should invest in an electronic actuated silencer. When you see a cop you flip the switch and the thing closes to a set point and you have a stock sounding car. I believe apexi ??? has them, dont quote me but thats where i remember seeing it.
This is MA state inspection - the worst of them all, except Cali. They've instituted a "no stock exhaust, no sticker"-type rule if you can believe it. That's what the inspector said at least.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:30 PM

drilling holes and spraying on sound dampening is not going to deaden it enough. If they are that strict they won't pass it. I would just put the stock muffler on and have the car tested and keep it or whatever. Also if the car is running long enough, without the cats it should still pass. I believe. It may be different in MA but plenty of guys here in CT pass as long as the car has been running.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 AM

put the baffle on and go to a shady shop