4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My clearing tails web page, comments welcome

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2001, 07:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My clearing tails web page, comments welcome

http://freshmenclass.com/maxima/cleartails.html

After reading most of the 10,000 threads (well it felt like that many) in the archives about clearing tails, I decided to try to put some of the best tips and links I found on a web page. If anyone has any suggestions or constructive critism I would be glad to hear it.

BTW - I intend to redo mine since the clear pieces did not come out as good as I wanted. Will taking them apart more then once cause any problems with the way the glue seals?
Old 10-19-2001, 09:47 AM
Licensed to Spell

Thanks bro.

That looks real nice. Although I have a '96, I know I would be very grateful if I did have a '97/'99 and wanted to clear my tails. I'm sure your time/contribution will help somebody out a lot. And I hope they give you a big thanks. Looking forward to your future contributions. Good job.

-Josh
Old 10-19-2001, 09:58 AM

Tip

As for cutting the new lens, I used a dremmel, scissors, and sheet metal cutters. But NONE worked BETTER than an Exacto-Knife.

The best way to do this is to constantly and continuously run the knife down the outline SEVERAL times from the back, pointy side of the florescent light cover. After about 15-20 well pressured cuts, the blade should start cutting all the way through in places. You should then be able to break it apart using pressure on one side and pulling up on the other. CLEAN BREAKS! There's my tip.

Also, after you've cut the lens, clean any points on the backside of the lense on the edges so no one can see them if they look at sharp angles.
Old 10-19-2001, 02:41 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Tip

yes, i def. have the best how to for the tails
Old 10-19-2001, 03:54 PM

yeah...

these are all useful..... i used maximadriver.com directions to do 1 tail... ****ed it up a little bit, didn't crack it...
Old 10-19-2001, 04:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Tip

Originally posted by NickStam
yes, i def. have the best how to for the tails
I didn't know that was you, thanks for the how to. I found the pictures very helpful. BTW - the homepage link under your name (on the org) gives 404 page cannot be found.

I tried using a razor knife but it didn't work very well for me, maybe an exacto knife is better. I put it on the page, some methods work better for different people.

I got rid of the list format, there was to much text there. I think it looks a little cleaner now.
Old 10-19-2001, 06:03 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Clean up

You may want to add this to your page.

The glue that holds the assembly together is messy stuff and usually gets on the lenses when you pry it apart. I have found that just by simply using a good cleaner/wax such as Mothers or Meguires works excellet in removing any glue which gets on the inside of the lense. Polish/clean the inside of the tail lense before you reassemble it. This way you'll have nice shinny "like new" tail lights again.
Old 10-19-2001, 06:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Tip

Originally posted by Anachronism

I didn't know that was you, thanks for the how to. I found the pictures very helpful. BTW - the homepage link under your name (on the org) gives 404 page cannot be found.

I got rid of the list format, there was to much text there. I think it looks a little cleaner now.
all the links have changed. i don't have time to update them