4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Stick with the USIM or go with the MEVI?
MEVI
76.92%
USIM
23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

USIM vs. MEVI

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jordandalley
Granted the USIM sounds better - i'll give it that...
Are you kidding? That loud, wailing crap sounds horrible. Sounds even worse when you realize why it's making that noise.

I guess loud induction sounds just don't appeal to me anymore.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:10 PM

^ so it is a stock manifold then? Why not just say stock max vs. one with a MEVI in it.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:12 PM

I have everything he has except the STS shifter and I did brembo brakes all around with Axxis pads. I also took out the AC compressor and put on new headlights with 6K H.I.Ds :-)
Old 10-01-2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Coremanx
^ so it is a stock manifold then? Why not just say stock max vs. one with a MEVI in it.
Because the MEVI comes "stock" on some maximas in different areas of the world. It is important to make that distinction.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:20 PM

well if u think... this is what the car had on it...

Modifications List and Features:

Nissan Cefiro 30 S.Touring:
Engine: VQ30DE
Chassis: HA32

Engine:
NGK Gold (Platinum) Spark Plugs
Air Conditioning Removed
Middle Eastern Variable Intake (MEVI)
Cold Air Intake + K&N Pod Filter
Catalyct Converter Removed
Y-Pipe
B-Pipe
Coby Muffler with 4 1/2" Flange
300ZX Fuel Filter

Transmission:
Valve Body Gasket (VB Mod)
High Stall Torque Converter
Viscous Limited Slip Diff (VLSD)
JATCO Shifter Kit
Large Transmission Cooler

Exterior:
Small S.Touring Factory Body Kit & Spoiler
17x8" CSA Deep Dish Mags
100w Xenon Blue/Green Headlamps + Fog Lights (Illegal Wattage)

Handling:
Low King Springs
Monroe Shocks
Front Strut Tower Brace (FSTB)

Interior:
Full Black Leather interior
Auto Dimming Rear-View Mirror
Electric Seats
Seat Warmers
Sunroof
Sanyo Headunit + 4x 6.5" Pioneer 150 watt door & rear speakers
Uniden GPS 9000 Radar Detector
Uniden VS2600XR Alarm and kelyess entry

Removed because of Girlfriend getting headaches:
Lanzar 600 watt amp
2x 12" 600 watt Pioneer Subs
Old 10-01-2007, 06:23 PM

Are there any cheaper alternatives to remapping the A/F other than an EU or JWT? I just dropped $350 on the MEVI, $50 on the RPM switch, and I really, really do not want to drop $600-$700 more just to have the torque and a higher rev limiter.

This is my DD and I think that this is probably going to be the last "bolt-on" performance mod that will be done (minus the tune, if I ever get to that). The reason why I am considering keeping the USIM is because the majority of driving I do is city. I am fine with short-shifting at 5500 rpms but I was foolish and bought the MEVI already....
Old 10-01-2007, 06:27 PM

I was referring too 99BlackMaxMS... not anyone with extreme mods... lol
Old 10-01-2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
Because the MEVI comes "stock" on some maximas in different areas of the world. It is important to make that distinction.
Nope. There is not a maxima in the world which comes with a MEVI from factory. It is essentially only a Nissan Cefiro thing.

Nissan Cefiros come in the following models - all with MEVI.

Cruising, Excimo & S.Touring - 2L VQ20DE
25 Cruising, 25 Excimo & 25 S.Touring - 2.5L VQ25DE
30 Cruising, 30 Excimo & 30 S.Touring - 3.0L VQ30DE

The Cruising model was a station wagon. Quite a nice car actually...

Check this out: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-117843719.htm

Only 2L models and a very very select few of 2.5L Cefiros come with a manual transmission. There was never a 3L Cefiro with a manual transmission - a real shame. I have seen a guy on maximasdownunder bolt a Cefiro VQ30DE into a manual Cefiro.

Cefiros come with a lot of extra things the Maximas never had. They're very similar to an Infinity I30 but are a lot more refined

Last edited by jordandalley; 10-01-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:28 PM

I would just sell it and get a gen 5.5... that is what I plan on doing in a year or so... I love my car but I have to spend too much money to get it near a 5.5... Just not worth it.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:31 PM

Im only 17 so I do not foresee a new car for at least the next 5 years.....
Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 PM

Nope. There is not a maxima in the world which comes with a MEVI from factory. It is essentially only a Nissan Cefiro thing.
I know the difference between a maxima and a Cefiro (I should have used the word Cefiro, but that was besides the point). Point is, due to the similarities, there are people with Cefiro's that visit this site. The distinction still needs to be made.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:43 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
Are there any cheaper alternatives to remapping the A/F other than an EU or JWT? .
SAFC/VAFC/NEO
Old 10-01-2007, 07:07 PM

So has anyone else tuned a MEVI on a dyno using an A/F map?? Share your map here... i'm interested..
Old 10-01-2007, 07:16 PM
dot dot dot ...

So has anyone else tuned a MEVI on a dyno using an A/F map?? Share your map here... i'm interested..
WRT:MEVI
xHypex, 96sleeper did.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=287824
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=171238

The simple AFC they were using doesn't provide a map like you're referring to (EU).
Old 10-01-2007, 07:26 PM

thanks nmex.. i wonder if anyone has tuned an emanage with mevi?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:29 PM
dot dot dot ...

Not NA (aside from you) But boosted yes. The Wizard has a MEVI, EU and SC, and perhaps a few others members may in fact have this set-up as well.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:33 PM

Hmm yeah.. emanage is definitely the choice of boosters. I'm essentially just playing around with it as it came with a SC kit I bought from a guy in here.

Do you know if for example an AFR of -10 on an SAFC-II would be the same as -10 on an emanage? Would they differ?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
SAFC/VAFC/NEO
Hah I feel like an idiot for not knowing that....

Basically the only gains of getting an EU or JWT are the raised rev limiter. Everything else can be done with the A'pex-i A/F controllers? I am still new to this...but may just invest in a VAFC if need be (for the RPM switch and to help get back the low end power).
Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 PM
dot dot dot ...

Hah I feel like an idiot for not knowing that....

Basically the only gains of getting an EU or JWT are the raised rev limiter. Everything else can be done with the A'pex-i A/F controllers? I am still new to this...but may just invest in a VAFC if need be (for the RPM switch and to help get back the low end power).
Timing cannot be directly adjusted using the AFC.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:56 PM

when tuning the emanage I was surprised about the fine line between being too rich and too lean. Without having control over timing and just adjusting the AFR, too little fuel can cause the ECU to retard the timing - basically i guess what you get is the Emanage fighting with the factory ECU
Old 10-01-2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Timing cannot be directly adjusted using the AFC.
Pardon my ignorance, im sure i remember reading about it before. But i noticed you said it cannot be directly adjusted using the AFC. So how would you go about getting more timing, i think it has something to do with adjusting the AFR, but i dont know if running it leaner or richer would give you more or less timing. I Guess thats why im not tuning the car myself LOL. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-02-2007, 06:36 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
Pardon my ignorance, im sure i remember reading about it before. But i noticed you said it cannot be directly adjusted using the AFC. So how would you go about getting more timing, i think it has something to do with adjusting the AFR, but i dont know if running it leaner or richer would give you more or less timing. I Guess thats why im not tuning the car myself LOL. Thanks in advance!
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=325775

streetz proved this to work with A32 software as well. Crude, but effective.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:17 AM
The Golden One

This might be a n00b question...but where do I get a MEVI and how much do they cost?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:42 AM

You can buy one from courtesy parts but you will need the following on top of it : rpm switch, vacuum canister with check valve, and a control solenoid. You will also want to purchase the following, 3/16 ID vacuum hose probably 3-4ft, i bought new LIM gasket, TB gasket, IACV gasket and EGR guide tube gasket just to be on the safe side, you may as well replace them while its off rather then try reuse it and have them leak causing the car to run like pure $hit (trust me i know..stupid egr gasket lol).

Better yet you could look in the FS section and buy a previously enjoyed one that has everything needed. They will usually run you in the $350 range. But i HIGHLY recommend getting the JWT ecu with extended rev limiter on top of the MEVI to get the real gains.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 AM

damn... ur lucky to have such a max at ur age of 17 not to mention a mint one like mine... I did not get my max until I turned 21 last year. Did ur parents help u get it?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:36 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Coremanx
damn... ur lucky to have such a max at ur age of 17 not to mention a mint one like mine... I did not get my max until I turned 21 last year. Did ur parents help u get it?
A32's are relatively cheap now-a-days. Mine was 10,800 back in 2000. I don't think it is unusual for a 16-17 y/o to be able to get one with decently steady job.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:26 AM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
You can buy one from courtesy parts but you will need the following on top of it : rpm switch, vacuum canister with check valve, and a control solenoid. You will also want to purchase the following, 3/16 ID vacuum hose probably 3-4ft, i bought new LIM gasket, TB gasket, IACV gasket and EGR guide tube gasket just to be on the safe side, you may as well replace them while its off rather then try reuse it and have them leak causing the car to run like pure $hit (trust me i know..stupid egr gasket lol).

Better yet you could look in the FS section and buy a previously enjoyed one that has everything needed. They will usually run you in the $350 range. But i HIGHLY recommend getting the JWT ecu with extended rev limiter on top of the MEVI to get the real gains.

So with a H/Y/E, MEVI, and VAFC-II...I won't be good to go? I need a whole ECU upgrade?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by IlyaK
So with a H/Y/E, MEVI, and VAFC-II...I won't be good to go? I need a whole ECU upgrade?
You'll be good to go, but the MEVI wont function correctly, nor will you be taking advantage of the MEVI

If you have the VAFCII, you can scrap the RPM switch from that list, but you'll still want all the other items mentioned.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:40 AM
The Golden One

Other than not getting as much out of the MEVI without an ECU...is there any other effects on having a MEVI without an ECU? Lower MPG?
Old 10-02-2007, 03:19 PM

This might be a n00b question...but where do I get a MEVI and how much do they cost?
I didnt think Courtesy parts sold them anymore? When I looked they werent doing them - I even contacted them to make sure.

I ended up importing mine off a Cefiro from New Zealand - and this would only have been about 3 or 4 months ago.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:22 PM

Other than not getting as much out of the MEVI without an ECU...is there any other effects on having a MEVI without an ECU? Lower MPG?
Not that I know of.....funny thing is my MPG has risen since I put the MEVI and ECU in.....it was at a consitant 280ish miles per tank to 350ish or more with the same driving style....if not a little more aggressive....
Old 10-02-2007, 03:57 PM

As far as mileage is goes,

The car drives perectly fine without the ECU upgrade. You just lose some of that pull from the low side of the rpms in which you'll probably use more fuel to accelerate in city driving. One a long trip, I was even able to pull off making the 500 mile club with this setup and I drove 530 miles on one tank.

I'm still running this setup but now I have a 2.5" B pipe. With all new o2 sensors, this car pulls like a beast again.

Last edited by deezo; 10-02-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Administrator

I didnt think Courtesy parts sold them anymore? When I looked they werent doing them - I even contacted them to make sure.
This is true, however Courtesy is now carrying them again after a long dry spell.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:41 PM

I bought mine from an .org member in the classifieds that was brand new, ordered from Courtesy a few years back but never installed. I'm still debating whether or not to put it on my car or if I should sell it (I do not plan on upgrading the ECU anytime soon).

I paid for my car in full, pay all gas, insurance, mods, maintaince, EVERYTHING. Hah it sucks but its better than driving an explorer or civic....

I paid $5500 cash for my 99 SE fully loaded (leather, heated seats, bose, auto climate, 5spd, blk on blk) in January. I was 16 at the time and had worked all of the previous year before droping a dime into a car. The only thing my parents paid for was my fist tank of gas. Haha don't mean to brag, but I work hard for my car and all the mods I do. And the car is in pretty good shape, minus a few door dings here and there....
Old 10-02-2007, 04:43 PM
The Golden One

How much would the whole MEVI swap cost? Also, I installed the exhaust from the headers all the way back myself...would I be able to do this?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:44 PM
The Golden One

I bought mine from an .org member in the classifieds that was brand new, ordered from Courtesy a few years back but never installed. I'm still debating whether or not to put it on my car or if I should sell it (I do not plan on upgrading the ECU anytime soon).
Do you have EVERYTHING needed to do the swap or just the MEVI itself? What's your price?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:50 PM

The MEVI is doable by yourself, and its nowhere near as involved as the 00vi swap. I have everything needed minus the RPM switch. I still haven't decided whether or not to put it on but I should have my decision made within the next few days.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:57 PM

just the MEVI itself.... you'll need some extra bits to get it to activate.

summit racing do an rpm switch which is relatively easy to configure except for some reason they chose to do the polarity completely different to anything ive ever seen in a car before - their hotwire is negative not positive.

Unfortunately because the rpm switch is analog its not very accurate. If I were to do the MEVI again I wouldnt bother with the rpm switch - i'd go all out EU or VAFC-II and use the VTEC setting for it. But because im lazy, I kept the RPM Switch and used the emanage separately. One day i'll hook it all up.....

Last edited by jordandalley; 10-02-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:55 PM
The Golden One

okay thanks for the info guys.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:28 PM

my summit switch seems to be pretty good.....its set at 5200 and seems to shift over at about 5250ish to 5300....

Quick Reply: USIM vs. MEVI