4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

98 Maxima Air Bag light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:33 AM

98 Maxima Air Bag light flashing

Out of the clear blue my Air Bag light started flashing last week. Can this be reset via the door adjar switch trick on a 98?

I have read posts were this works on older 4th Gen models, but what about a 98? Anyone know the exact procedure to do this?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes, but I forget the procedure, but it's in the stickies. Also, check to make sure you don't have stuff under your seats.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:04 AM
New to *****

hey if u happen to find where the post is in the stickey's about clearing the Airbag light on a 98 Max, let me know please...thanx
Old 10-04-2007, 10:30 AM

How to reset SRS(air bag) light

Open the driver's door. Note the rubber covered button located low on the B pillar, a button which is pressed by the door when the door is closed. This is the Driver's Door Switch (DDS).

Turn the ignition from OFF to ON. Press the DDS at least 5 times within 7 seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. Turn the ignition OFF. Close the driver's door. Start the engine.

If the airbag warning lamp is still on (or still flashing), there is a fault in the Supplemental Restraint System which must be diagnosed and repaired. This is a job for your local friendly Nissan dealer

Keep in mind sometimes this procedure must be done twice.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:32 AM

Location: a charming town in Connecticut first settled in the 1600s
yeah, the first time you do that procedure just puts the airbag computer into diagnostic mode, and the light will blink in a particular pattern indicating a particular problem (consult the FSM) for what. following that procedure a second time will reset the error code and restore the computer to normal mode.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:24 AM
MaximaGuy1

what about when change the steering wheel

i have a 96 max just put on a racing wheel with the 2 nos button.now my horn doesn't work and the air bag light just flashes.is there a way to shut the light off. and get my horn to work.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:50 AM

Your horn doesnt work because you probably never hooked it into anything when you put on the "racing wheel". And how the hell do you expect the airbag light not to be on after you took out the drivers side airbag and did not replace it with anything.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:58 AM

Location: a charming town in Connecticut first settled in the 1600s
And what the hell is a racing wheel doing in a 96 max?
Old 11-03-2007, 12:36 PM

Apparently, Maximas have become "race cars".
Old 11-04-2007, 05:50 AM
MaximaGuy1

YOU NEVER SEEN A MAX WITH NITROUS HAVE YOU.AND EVERYTHING THAT CAME WITH THE WHEEL KIT WAS INSTALLED.AND LIKE NO ONE HAS EVER BUT A RACING IN PLACE ON A WHEEL WITH AN AIR BAG.
I THOUGHT THIS WAS A MAXIMA SITE.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:36 PM

Oh life.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Chassis Freak

I have had airbag lights twice now. Once it started flashing after I hit a large bump on the highway. I had a mini phone book under the passenger seat and that's almost definitely what caused it, as it likely bumped the connectors under the seat.

More recently, I had the bag code triggered by something else. I'd removed the phone book. I think what caused it was powering back the passenger seat all the way to make room for a cooler on the floor by the glove box. This must have loosened a connector. I tried the reset procedure, but it would only switch back and forth between "User Mode" (constant flashing airbag light) and "Diagnosis Mode" (longer/shorter flashes that make a pattern so you can identify the problem component). I just looked up the code I was getting (1.5 sec on, 0.5 sec off, 1.5 sec on, 2 sec off, 0.5 sec on, 2 sec on, repeat...in other words two long flashes and then a short single flash after a pause) and that code refers to the passenger side airbag module circuit.

I just now looked under the seat and made sure all 4 visible connectors were connected. They all were but I pushed them together anyway.

Here is what the 1999 FSM says:

From User mode to Diagnosis mode
Diagnosis mode activates only when a malfunction is detected, by pressing the driver’s door switch at least 5 times within 7 seconds after turning the ignition “ON”. SRS will not enter Diagnosis mode if no malfunction is detected.
From Diagnosis mode to User mode
After a malfunction is repaired, switch the ignition “OFF” for at least 1 second, then back “ON”. Diagnosis mode returns to User mode. If switching Diagnosis mode to User mode is required while malfunction is being detected, switch the ignition “OFF”, then back “ON” and press the driver’s door switch at least 5 times within 7 seconds.

So that part in red may be important. I had my airbag light flashing while driving for the past few weeks because no matter what I did, it was in User mode or Diagnosis mode. What I neglected to do was turn the ignition off for at least 1 second and then back on, I believe while the door is still open. That might be necessary to clear it (because maybe starting and driving the car normally while in diagnosis mode doesn't count as turning the ignition off then on). Or, it could be that jiggling the connections was what did it. I'm just giving both possibilities here in case it helps another frustrated Maxima owner.

One last thing: the engine does not ever need to be started for any of the diagnosis or code clearing procedures. Don't put extra wear on your engine/starter for no reason!

Last edited by VQuick; 11-11-2007 at 08:21 PM.