4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

is there anything i should know??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 03:08 PM

is there anything i should know??

Is there anything i should know before i change my ecu...Iam swapin out the auto ecu to the 5spd one.Just want to know if there a certain way to do it,if theres a write up on how to do it.I was told in another thread its just plug and play,just pop the auto out and plug the 5spd one in....

just want a heads up b4 i do it thanks
Old 10-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by icedout
Is there anything i should know before i change my ecu...Iam swapin out the auto ecu to the 5spd one.Just want to know if there a certain way to do it,if theres a write up on how to do it.I was told in another thread its just plug and play,just pop the auto out and plug the 5spd one in....

just want a heads up b4 i do it thanks

I trust you did a 5speed swap.....

It's plug and play. Just be careful when unplugging and replugging to not bend any connector pins. Straight out, straight in.

Removing the ECU is the hardest part. Have fun getting to those hard to reach bolts.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

all your thread titles are completely obscure. be a little more specific before someone opens up your thread.

why are you changing the ECU?...i am going to safely assume you are doing a manual swap so you are switching your ECU for that reason.

youll need to match up the year and spec of the ECU. all years had a cali spec, even the 95. some ECU's are interchangable, others maythrow codes depending on your year, trim, and emissions specifications. some models like the 95 ECU can be interchanged with others since that ECU doesn't look for an electronic EVAP system.

someone may want to correct me if im wrong. i couldnt use a 95 cali spec ECU on my old 95 fed spec car. threw a fuel temp sensor code and another code which i can't recall (been a few years)

it's a direct plug and play swap, with potential ECU codes. the 99 model will require the immobilizer to be disabled though.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I trust you did a 5speed swap.....

It's plug and play. Just be careful when unplugging and replugging to not bend any connector pins. Straight out, straight in.

Removing the ECU is the hardest part. Have fun getting to those hard to reach bolts.
agreed. i pushed back the passenger seat, put my legs up on the headrest, and worked literally upside down for a while, taking breaks so i woudlnt have an aneurysm. there's a tool that Sears sells (credit to THT) or the one shown in this amazon link http://www.epinions.com/Stanley_Ratc...ver_Shop_Tools

its called an offset screwdriver. if you hang upsidedown like batman, youll be able to get those screws eventually =)
Old 10-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mansurxk
all your thread titles are completely obscure. be a little more specific before someone opens up your thread.
I hate vague thread titles too.

Back on topic......
Old 10-08-2007, 09:03 AM

ok let me get more detailed for you guys then since your haven a problem...i did a 5spd swap i have a 99.I just got a 99 stick ecu so i want to swap them just wanted to know i there was any precautions i should take or no about b4 i jump in.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:10 AM

Instead of playing around trying to get those screws out, wouldn't it just be easier to remove the stereo and get them from the top with an extension and socket? The hardest part for me was separating those stupid plastic tabs that hold the wire to the ecu brackets. BIG PITA!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:33 AM

After I changed my ECU, my hand looked like it came out of grinder.

I did remove the HU and all of that other stuff to get to the nuts that hold down the ECU but still it was a pain from loosing the nuts. Especially when putting it back in, I think I lost one of them back behind everything, so I said f it and now I have one nut hold down the ECU.

Good luck with yours.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:50 AM

Like every one said its a direct swap but if you are inserting a 95 ecu in 97-99 you will have to change one of the wires for the rear o2 sensor. other then that its a direct swap
Old 10-08-2007, 04:07 PM

thanks guys