4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:41 PM

My tranny...

...just took a dump.

also the one in the car is toast.

I'm hoping for like a canadian or AE VLSD 5sp. I checked car-part.com, $800 for one with 90k on it.

where else should I look?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Offset Is Everything.

damn sucks dude. good luck with that!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:14 PM

thanks man...

anyone have any other good car part sites that might carry a VLSD?
Old 10-07-2007, 11:33 PM
No more Maximas...

Have you checked car-part for the i30t VLSDs?
Old 10-07-2007, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Have you checked car-part for the i30t VLSDs?
yes.

everything that's under 100k miles is like $800+ and usually across the country

even with the open diffs that's somewhat true.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:36 AM
VIP Maxima

new www.everythingnissan.com i think its 1800

Old 10-08-2007, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima
new www.everythingnissan.com i think its 1800
yeahhhhh... leaning a bit more towards something i don't need to take out a loan on...

thanks though maing
Old 10-08-2007, 10:54 AM

good luck man hope it works out for the best
Old 10-08-2007, 11:12 AM

If you dont want to pay that much you have to be patient. Keep an eye out on ebay. What exactly went wrong on your tranny?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:52 PM

Well alright, I had an epiphany today.

When I depressed the clutch, the car would roll. The tranny is in between the wheels and the clutch, therefore the tranny is okay.

The engine starts up just fine so long as the clutch is engaged, therefore the engine is okay.

Phew. It must be the same bull**** that caused my previous clutch to fail prematurely at like 20k miles. Probably some bearing seized or something in the clutch mechanism and took the rest of the clutch out with it.

Hopefully I'm just looking at a clutch replacement.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Maintenance Monster

Could it be the clutch slave?

Dave
Old 10-08-2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Could it be the clutch slave?

Dave
The clutch still operates, i.e. when I depress the pedal it will engage the clutch, the engine will start and the car will roll (free roll, not putting any power down or anything... if i release the clutch pedal to the friction point the car won't go anywhere and the engine will be dragged down, as if there's something freezing the pressure plate or something). To me that sounds like it's not the slave, but I don't know exactly what role the slave plays, I just sort of assumed it was the end of the clutch hydraulic system that depresses the release lever when you stomp on the pedal.

Last edited by MorpheusZero; 10-08-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Whatchyou say?

Morheus ... you're right ... that is all the slave really does. it pushes on the release fork on the outside (on the inside it seperates the PP and flywheel by pushing on the TOB). I wonder if its a siezed IPS bearing? but .... does the car make any noise when you are in N? you're running a 5spd right?

another theory is ... maybe you have grease on the PP / flywheel. but .. that wouldn't really explain the "bogging" issues.

dunno for sure .... keep us posted! g'luck mate!
Old 10-09-2007, 01:37 AM
SLOW

sounds to me like the transmission is stuck in two gears at once... i've had this happen to myself. if it happens, the car won't move, you release the clutch pedal and it'll just stall.

this could happen because of a broken shift fork, broken roll pin allowing the a shift fork to slide on the shift rail, etc.

when did this start to occur? did it just happen without any warning or indication or had you just shifted the car hard, or heard a bang, felt a clunk, anything?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Maintenance Monster

I agree with Nealoc187: sounds like something internal to the tranny.

Does the shifter move smoothly thru all 3 neutral positions (left, center, right)?

Can you shift into all gears ok?

FYI I have the core parts to supply a rebuilt fourth gen VLSD but I'll need a few weeks to get the repair parts in and then do the rebuild. PM for details.

Dave
Old 10-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I kno a good tranny shop in LA. PM me if u want info.
Jae
Old 10-09-2007, 03:33 PM

sorry if im hijacking but i didn't wanna make a new thread on a related topic. i had a somewhat similar experience today. i would put the car in gear and when i release the clutch, the car would stay on, it wasn't stalling. i tried this for all gears, even reverse and it was the same outcome.

when i pulled off in first the rpms were rising really high and the car was barely moving. the nissan dealer was 2 miles away so i drove it there.
i pulled up in the service lane, pulled the ebrake and left it in first. i then had an advisor diagnose it to me.

he said to him its the clutch or the pressure plate. it goes into all gears perfectly fine when i press the pedal but its like its not engaging.

then he said it would be $100 to diagnose it because they would have to get in the tranny to know exactly whats wrong and that they charge $660 labor for a clutch job. thats when i left.

i actually had to shut the car off for about 30 mins to cool down and then proceed to drive home because it wasn't going anywhere. now im trying to find a proper clutch to replace the exedy stage 1 i have.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
sounds to me like the transmission is stuck in two gears at once... i've had this happen to myself. if it happens, the car won't move, you release the clutch pedal and it'll just stall.

this could happen because of a broken shift fork, broken roll pin allowing the a shift fork to slide on the shift rail, etc.

when did this start to occur? did it just happen without any warning or indication or had you just shifted the car hard, or heard a bang, felt a clunk, anything?
I was going about 15mph in reverse, I pushed the clutch in, dropped to idle, then let the clutch out (SLOWLY, not like an assclown). It was at about 1.5k rpm (my guess is the input shaft was going about 3k rpm) and the tranny just froze, front wheels locked and the car hopped to a halt.

You know, the mechanic told me that it might be stuck in two gears at once, I don't understand how that could happen and the car still rolls when you depress the clutch; there's only one input shaft...

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
I agree with Nealoc187: sounds like something internal to the tranny.

Does the shifter move smoothly thru all 3 neutral positions (left, center, right)?

Can you shift into all gears ok?

FYI I have the core parts to supply a rebuilt fourth gen VLSD but I'll need a few weeks to get the repair parts in and then do the rebuild. PM for details.

Dave
Originally the shifter was kind of stuck in reverse, with some force I was able to shift it to neutral. When it was in neutral it would behave like a normal tranny except none of the gears would "engage," i.e. you could slap the stick back and forth fine and it would catch on the "gates" but you couldn't force it into any of the gears.

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
I kno a good tranny shop in LA. PM me if u want info.
Jae
Ehhh I'm rather far away from LA. Thanks though man.

Originally Posted by Redline Maxima
sorry if im hijacking but i didn't wanna make a new thread on a related topic. i had a somewhat similar experience today. i would put the car in gear and when i release the clutch, the car would stay on, it wasn't stalling. i tried this for all gears, even reverse and it was the same outcome.

when i pulled off in first the rpms were rising really high and the car was barely moving. the nissan dealer was 2 miles away so i drove it there.
i pulled up in the service lane, pulled the ebrake and left it in first. i then had an advisor diagnose it to me.

he said to him its the clutch or the pressure plate. it goes into all gears perfectly fine when i press the pedal but its like its not engaging.

then he said it would be $100 to diagnose it because they would have to get in the tranny to know exactly whats wrong and that they charge $660 labor for a clutch job. thats when i left.

i actually had to shut the car off for about 30 mins to cool down and then proceed to drive home because it wasn't going anywhere. now im trying to find a proper clutch to replace the exedy stage 1 i have.
That doesn't sound similar at all--that sounds more like a clutch problem.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:26 PM

Sounds kinda like what happened to me. And funny enough mine happened while i was backing down my driveway..but i knew my tranny was toast (dropping almost 1L of fluid after 3 hours LOL) I was backing into my driveway and all of a sudden the wheels locked up car stopped, it would start, but when the shifter was in neutral the car would move forwards..and when i was in first the car would not move..kinda like if you left the ebrake on, it wanted to move it just couldnt. I think dgeesaman told me the wear on the bearing was so bad the diff hit 1st gear lol..funny enough i let the car sit for maybe 1 week, and i was able to drive it up the driveway onto the tow truck..definaltey wouldnt drive it far tho.

My second tranny did the weirdest thing too..its almost like if the tranny was slipping when i took off..then i wasnt able to get it into 1st or 2nd, so i was stranded taking off in third and riding the HELL out of my clutch loll.. Turns out the bearing girdle on the input shaft like blew up inside the tranny and caused EXCESSIVE amounts of play in the input shaft which explains why i wasnt able to get into 1st or 2nd on certain occasions.

I said F*ck it with buying used tranny's i got this one rebuilt, cost me $1100 with all new bearings, synchros and seals, and has 1 year warrenty, havent had any problems except 1 of the seals started leaking, very slow sweat i figure is due to the redline fluid which i heard causes leaks. if its the diff bearings, its getting rebuilt for free.

Take that into consideration, i thought maybe i had a bad tranny, i splurged got a unit from the wreckors (paid 550CAD..worked out to about 400USD back when they were not close to par lol), that tranny lasted me 7 months, and honestly i wanted to get a new unit, i just couldnt afford it..now look, it ended up costing me more. Take it from someone who went through all this already(at 17 working part time and going to school lol). Get a rebuilt unit, with warrenty and be done with it. good luck man!!
Old 10-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
$800 for one with 90k on it.

where else should I look?
HAHAHA! That thing is still on there huh?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:56 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero

Originally the shifter was kind of stuck in reverse, with some force I was able to shift it to neutral. When it was in neutral it would behave like a normal tranny except none of the gears would "engage," i.e. you could slap the stick back and forth fine and it would catch on the "gates" but you couldn't force it into any of the gears.

You say it behaved as above "originally." What behavior does the shifter itself have now, is it still the same?