4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Headlight and Taillight customization.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Visual Mod Freak

Headlight and Taillight customization.

Basically I'm trying to change my headlights to projectors, and I know there's something about this in the Interior section, but i'm wondering if in the negative space as pictured here

And is there a way to change your OEM tails to an altezza style through paint or some other way?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by jaygambit
And is there a way to change your OEM tails to an altezza style through paint or some other way?
i'm sorry but that has to be the stupidest thing i have ever heard.
why would you want perfectly good oem tails and make them look ugly?
if you want the altezza style, just go buy some.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:31 PM

Well for the headlights you'd have to separate the front from the case, and im assuming you'll be making it black. Would be interesting to see it done that way even though i hate projectors. For the tails, g4 put it best. Just please dont do that, it wont look good, and altezzas are hideous. Maximas are classy sports cars not ricers, so leave out the rice.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Visual Mod Freak

I'm doing projectors with angel eyes.
My car is crimson blaze, so i'm probably going to do the paint a bright red to match.

As far as my OEM tails, I just want to change it up to something different than the plain tails I have now.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:38 PM

there are many orgers on here w/ retro's that have simply painted their headlight housing.
need to search & read. theres plenty of resources.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:42 PM

I'm doing projectors with angel eyes.
My car is crimson blaze, so i'm probably going to do the paint a bright red to match.

As far as my OEM tails, I just want to change it up to something different than the plain tails I have now.
why red? why not black like all the other cool cars, not including maximas.
and why can't you just do red/clear tails, or DTM mod?

you obviously have a rare edition maxima and theres a lot of potential to it.
hate to see it turn out the wrong way. but as they say, WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT.
and how are "Black Dyed SE-L Floormats" a mod?
alright, i'm done.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Visual Mod Freak

To be perfectly honest with you, I like the look. I figured red may look good, but black may look good. I'm going to do a photoshop mock up before I choose. I was simply suggesting the idea of painting them red.

And I happen to like the look of the altezza mod. I just don't have 220 bucks to spend on taillights ATM. I'm going to look into the red/clear tails and i'm not sure what the DTM mod is.

I'm relatively new to mods and stuff of that nature. I figured that this would be the proper forum (no pun intended) for me to learn how to improve apon the look and performance of my maxima. I don't judge by what you guys think is ricey and what you guys don't. I simply take what looks good IMO.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 PM

And I happen to like the look of the altezza mod. I just don't have 220 bucks to spend on taillights ATM. I'm going to look into the red/clear tails and i'm not sure what the DTM mod is.
fyi, altezzas are 100 on ebay. if you like the look of altezzas, research the skyline taillight mod. its more tasteful and better looking than plain altezzas but still has the same general look.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 PM

To be perfectly honest with you, I like the look. I figured red may look good, but black may look good. I'm going to do a photoshop mock up before I choose. I was simply suggesting the idea of painting them red.

I'm relatively new to mods and stuff of that nature. I figured that this would be the proper forum (no pun intended) for me to learn how to improve apon the look and performance of my maxima. I don't judge by what you guys think is ricey and what you guys don't. I simply take what looks good IMO.

i'm sorry, i'm not done. 1st, after 99 posts, you still seem like you haven't read anything. go read the stickies for performance, cosmetic whatever.
2nd, who the hell told you those gay altezzas cost $220? you can get em on ebay for less then $100. 3rd, you simply take what looks good in your opinion?
so if its shiny, flashy, you think its alright to get it? huh i guess fireballz exhaust, whatever the hell those are, are cool
Old 10-17-2007, 10:05 PM

i'm sorry, i'm not done. 1st, after 99 posts, you still seem like you haven't read anything. go read the stickies for performance, cosmetic whatever.
2nd, who the hell told you those gay altezzas cost $220? you can get em on ebay for less then $100. 3rd, you simply take what looks good in your opinion?
so if its shiny, flashy, you think its alright to get it? huh i guess fireballz exhaust, whatever the hell those are, are cool. who cares about quality, sound, and performance
Old 10-17-2007, 10:15 PM

and you live in FL.....how do you have a RHD max?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Visual Mod Freak

Dude, seriously whats your problem?
I asked a question that I figured some people would know. It wasnt explicitly stated on the stickies, and when I searched for painting headlight housing nothing came up so I made a new thread.

If you feel altezzas are gay, then thats your opinion. And the same with the damn exhaust. I don't have the cash to put a stillen exhaust in there, so I am going to install a fireball, which from what I told is similar to a stillen but cheaper.

And I was planning on doing the skyline mod to the altezzas once they're on if I choose to get em.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Horizontally opposed.

please don't buy altezza's. I had some cheap ebay ones. they looked rice and filled up with dust in 6 months. Complete waste of money and terrible look for the car. IMHO, red/clear ftw. Your car, you choose.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Visual Mod Freak

Originally Posted by mowgli29
please don't buy altezza's. I had some cheap ebay ones. they looked rice and filled up with dust in 6 months. Complete waste of money and terrible look for the car. IMHO, red/clear ftw. Your car, you choose.
Is there any way to do the red/clear conversion and paint them to look like skyline tails?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:31 PM

Alrighty G4, calm down, we're supposed to be a friendly community(haha ye right). Basically all we're saying is to do some looking, sometimes its better to go with whats already been accepted because things like altezzas are gunna get you hell for it and not just on the org. People dont accept maximas as a major visual modding car and depending where you live i can almost assure you people are going to make fun of your car. If you still insist on altezzas ebay has a few for under 100.

Let me add my .02, if i had that car i'd get clear turn signals, red/clear tails, a stillen kit(down the road of course), xenons, lower springs, some silver rims. Later in time you could do a y-pipe, mevi, turbo even, but um leave off the fireball exhaust.

I think if you start to add the things that we are calling ricey, you'll soon realize it just doesnt flow well on a maxima. Something about civics that this stuff all flows fairly nice on them but maximas are about class, like a good looking woman in a red dress, where civics are a hot chick in a red thong.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Horizontally opposed.

Is there any way to do the red/clear conversion and paint them to look like skyline tails?
haven't seen it before...but I suppose if you made a circle that encompassed both the tob and bottom light, inner and outer on each side, and painted everything outside the circle, that could work.

I don't know how well you could get paint to stick though either....

up to you!
Old 10-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Horizontally opposed.

Originally Posted by 97maximaman
maximas are about class, like a good looking woman in a red dress, where civics are a hot chick in a red thong.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by mowgli29
Haha, i just wrote the first thing that came to mind, so, sorry if it made no sense.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Visual Mod Freak

Thanks man.
Thats what I needed to know.

I've seen a bunch of really cool looking maximas and some really ricey ones.

TBH I like some of the ricey looks. Some of it looks really good and some look really cheap and tacky.

Basically i'm looking for a look thats sophisticated and stylish yet also shows a fierce competitiveness. [I guess thats where the part of me that likes the riceyness comes in]

I'm not gonna go out and buy a pair of altezzas. I'm probably going to go with a red/clear conversion and take it from there. If need be I may end up doing a skyline mod on those, and letting you all know if it works.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 PM

Jay if u really want alte's NismoMaxman is selling some in the classifieds, not my flavor but, what ever tickles ur pickle. >good luck

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=540988
Old 10-18-2007, 07:16 AM

please do it and post pics
Old 10-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Former Vendor

my reccomendation is buy some cheap aftremarket/junkyard parts to experiment on. i respect the fact that you really seem to know what you want to do, even if i'm feeling it. then if you don't like it, or if you want to change up your style down the road, you have the oem parts to go back to.

the dtm mod is my favorite diy tail light mod. it's a way to tint your tails so that they look like tinted red/clears, and keep all the factory gloss. search it.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:26 AM
wants an I35

theres two junkyards up on southern blvd and 441. the "u pull and pay" (i think its on benoit farms road in WPB) has two 96 maximas, one SE one GLE. costs 2 bux in the door. i got a perfect condition rear view mirror for $2.99. and they had the white guage faces and housing from an SE for $14.99, but i didnt buy it.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Visual Mod Freak

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
my reccomendation is buy some cheap aftremarket/junkyard parts to experiment on. i respect the fact that you really seem to know what you want to do, even if i'm feeling it. then if you don't like it, or if you want to change up your style down the road, you have the oem parts to go back to.

the dtm mod is my favorite diy tail light mod. it's a way to tint your tails so that they look like tinted red/clears, and keep all the factory gloss. search it.
What exactly is a DTM mod?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Former Vendor

you put your lights in the oven until the adhesive softens up. then you pull them apart. you take out the clear/orange pieces and spray them with a translucent black model paint or nightshades, whatever. then you put them back together. after they're tinted the orange and clear pieces look the same so you have tinted red/clears. the lights still have the oem gloss because you painted the inside rather than the outside. they come out looking like this:

these are s****y ebay tails. but they look the same. they are darker in person.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:55 PM

Dude, seriously whats your problem?
I asked a question that I figured some people would know. It wasnt explicitly stated on the stickies, and when I searched for painting headlight housing nothing came up so I made a new thread.

If you feel altezzas are gay, then thats your opinion. And the same with the damn exhaust. I don't have the cash to put a stillen exhaust in there, so I am going to install a fireball, which from what I told is similar to a stillen but cheaper.

And I was planning on doing the skyline mod to the altezzas once they're on if I choose to get em.
wait where did you ever hear that fireball sounds like stillen? Stillen is some of the most expensive products for our cars besides cattman. How can a $50 exhaust sound anything close to a stillen? Where did you hear this? And I know you hate getting ranked on but it's how it is here. People hate rice. They don't want to promote it on here because guys come in with awful looking stuff, ask the opinions, get ranked on, yell at everyone on here that they are haters and flamers, then get banned. It's just not worth it. So I'm not saying don't do what you like, but just be prepared for the comments on here if you do rice stuff. Too many guys get banned because they can't take it. But please...don't skyline your tails. They really do look terrible. I know you want something other then stock but altezza is not the way to go. You'll regret it in a short period of time and you wasted that money.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
I know you want something other then stock but altezza is not the way to go. You'll regret it in a short period of time and you wasted that money.
THE TRUTH.