4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Who knows locks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:18 PM

Who knows locks?

My driverside door lock had been "jimmied" once by a car thief. The lock had always stuck a little but worked fine for the last 3.5 years I've been driving it. But now the driver's side door lock won't work, meaning I can't open it with the key but it will operate from the inside. When I put the key in, it won't turn.

I don't have keyless entry so I've been unlocking the car from the passenger side, but now that side is starting to stick so I need to get it fixed.

A local locksmith wants to charge me $150 to fix one lock. I could also just get keyless entry and use the FOB to lock and unlock. I haven't checked my local dealership but assume they're expensive.

Any thoughts, related experiences or advice?

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:20 PM
wants an I35

on my wrecked 96 GLE the locking cylinder on the drivers side had NEVER been used; remote entry for its entire life. one day i went to open it with a key and it wouldnt turn at all.
i bought some WHITE LITHIUM grease from autozone for like 5 bux and sprayed it in there. i wiggled it around for a couple of seconds and it was back to normal. DO NOT USE WD40
Old 10-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Former Vendor

if you decide to go keyless entry i would suggest aftermarket.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:36 PM

Use lithium grease and dip the key right in the grease. Insert the key into the lock. repeat until it frees up. This is the procedure for Volkswagen locks and I have done it to mymax when I notice the lock getting "sticky".
Old 10-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Whatchyou say?

have you pulled the door pannle yourself and looked? $150 seems a bit steep to me ... but I dunno mate. If you can, try and pull the pannle off inside and see what is what. Silicone spray is good too ... no residue. DON'T use WD-40 tho ... stinks and it'll make a mess. If you can ... post pix
Old 10-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wd-40??

Originally Posted by ROCKART
on my wrecked 96 GLE the locking cylinder on the drivers side had NEVER been used; remote entry for its entire life. one day i went to open it with a key and it wouldnt turn at all.
i bought some WHITE LITHIUM grease from autozone for like 5 bux and sprayed it in there. i wiggled it around for a couple of seconds and it was back to normal. DO NOT USE WD40
Why light application of Lithium and not WD-40 ??
Old 10-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Whatchyou say?

WD has a tendancy to collect more residue than Silicone or Lithium does ... so, it can "gum up" the problem more than it helps.

Just my .02 but ... that has been my experience!

WD FTL!
Old 10-20-2007, 07:35 PM

i agree with jtzmax take the door pannel off and find out wats going cuse i think $150 is a bit steep
Old 10-20-2007, 08:18 PM

For what it's worth, I've already tried using liquid graphite in the lock and it made absolutely no difference in the driver side lock that won't open.

I will open up the door panel and check it out but I don't think there is any problem with the lock system downstream of the door lock core itself because the key won't turn in the key hole but I can lock and unlock from the inside.

Any other insights would be welcome. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:08 PM
1st Class MECP Installer

I would get keyless for sure. Installed at BBY you can get a Viper for under 200. You can pay a litter more and get trunk pop or horn honk added but it could probably be done for 150. Keyless is always nicer especially in cold climates. If you get the door panel off(watch the surround on the actual inside handle.. very easily broken) the outer handle comes off pretty simply and hooks to the bolt mechinism with a long rod. That is why you inside locks still work. once out you could try some freeing agents or replace if neccessary. Good Luck
Old 10-29-2007, 08:23 PM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by JtzMax
WD has a tendancy to collect more residue than Silicone or Lithium does ... so, it can "gum up" the problem more than it helps.

Just my .02 but ... that has been my experience!

WD FTL!
exactly right.

WD40 is technically a cleaner. even though it is widely used for lubrication.

just like QTips are NOT MEANT for your ears. look at the packaging, not once does it show or mention an ear.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie here...

My drivers side lock has been playing up for a while, was very difficult to turn, and eventually the whole handle mechanism became very loose.

I finally pulled the door panel off to see if I could fix things. I took everything apart, and discovered that the key won't turn in the lock barely at all. I finally took it completely off, and have sprayed it with silicon. Still can't get it to turn like the passenger side.

Any suggestions? It doesn't need anything else to turn, right? eg some electrical component? The cylinder itself is attached to a flat black piece into which the wire disappear. Any ideas on what that is?

Any ideas where I can get a new lock?

thanks!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:00 PM

I will be attempting this tomorrow, I will post pics if I can. I've tightened the key mechanism before, but it worked its way loose again. Today my girlfriend said the key got stuck and she heard a screw drop into the door frame. By the way, the electrical door mechanism is not the issue, you can completely disconnect the controller box from the door, in fact the panel just hangs there unless you do just that. Its something with the internals probably.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:25 AM
ef9

WD40 can also be used as a lubricant, but WD40 evaporates over time, much quicker than grease or silicone/lithium lubricants.

Initially, WD40 would work great on your lock, but later it will just dry up and you'll be in a worse situation than before.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by ROCKART
exactly right.

WD40 is technically a cleaner. even though it is widely used for lubrication.

just like QTips are NOT MEANT for your ears. look at the packaging, not once does it show or mention an ear.
I dont know, I decided to look it up and found this... http://www.qtips.com/family_care.php

Yes yes I know this is 3 years later lol

anyway back on topic. My 95's keys turn smooth like butter and I hardly used them but my 93... oh boy, those dont turn at all now, they havent since 2007 and I hope they can still be salvageable. I may remove the lock cylinder and let it soak in some sort of cleaner or lubricant. Maybe auto trans fluid or some pb blaster for a week and attempting to jiggle the key every few days..

I have a local locksmith who'll rekey aka change the tumblers in there for 80 bucks if I bring it in but if I can salvage it I'd be happy.

Anyone else have any luck bringing some cylinders back to life?
Old 02-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replacing a door lock cylinder maxima 1995 (door passenger)

i removed door trim,

How i can have access to door lock cylinder ?

Have you manual instructions step by step ?

thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 07:57 PM

I got a used stock key FOB for $10 on ebay. Works great. I had to search the web for how to program it. Something like get in, lock the doors, put the key in the ingnition 7-10 times and the hazard lights will flash, then press lock on the remote until the car recognizes it. Normally most of the remotes are about $20. Check your trunk to make sure you have a remote control module first. I had one, but didn't get a remote when I bought the car. It is located on the right side wheel well behind the trunk liner. Its an aluminum box about 5" square and maybe 2" thick. If you don't have one you can still get a complete aftermarket remote setup for about $60 on ebay, buy you'll have to figure out how to put it in. Sorry to hear the key isn't working anymore.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Decimus Meridias
I got a used stock key FOB for $10 on ebay. Works great. I had to search the web for how to program it. Something like get in, lock the doors, put the key in the ingnition 7-10 times and the hazard lights will flash, then press lock on the remote until the car recognizes it. Normally most of the remotes are about $20. Check your trunk to make sure you have a remote control module first. I had one, but didn't get a remote when I bought the car. It is located on the right side wheel well behind the trunk liner. Its an aluminum box about 5" square and maybe 2" thick. If you don't have one you can still get a complete aftermarket remote setup for about $60 on ebay, buy you'll have to figure out how to put it in. Sorry to hear the key isn't working anymore.
I just replace the door !

i have already a door lock cylinder of my old door !

i want transfert the door lock cylinder in the new door..

How i can have access to door lock cylinder (remove) ?

Have you manual instructions step by step ?

thanks