4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

is the K&N drop-in air filter bad for your car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:26 AM
wants an I35

is the K&N drop-in air filter bad for your car?

im poor.

i been gettin little things here and there for my car over the past weeks since i bought it, but i have big items, like brakes/rotors, knock sensor, etc. that i NEED to start saving for. the idea of dropping two or three hundred on a cold air intake is out of the question right now.

i mentioned in a previous thread that i was thinking about gettin the drop-in K&N air filter for my stock intake and for the most part the response was positive. but there were a couple of people, i remember ILYAK in particular, who said that while the K&N drop-in would allow more air, it would also allow more dirt and dust into the MAF and TB. he said he opened his TB after a couple of months of use and it was dirtier than hed ever seen it.

here it is:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...Code=33-2031-1

does it really allow that much more air? boost hp? i remember some kid saying 5 hp, which aint much, but it all helps.

does it let more dust/debris in than a fram air filter? supposedly it doesnt, but then again a website writeup will say anything to get you to buy the item.

there is an oiling process, i guess to keep it moist so it can catch stuff. how often am i going to have to oil it?

basically, is this 44 dollar item worth puttin in my car?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:55 AM

It could be fatal to your MAF sensor which costs $300 new. And no HP is gained with it.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:07 AM
Addicted to the Org

I would not pay 300 bucks for any CAI. Either stay stock or get a PR Clone off of ebay. I bought one off there, and didn't notice any power gains, just noise. I was using th K&N drop in filter and there again, noticed no gains. Our stock intake is fairly decent, so anything else would be very minimal and def not worth 300!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 08:12 AM
wants an I35

i mean i was just using that as a rough price idea. i havent even begun to investigate aftermarket intakes. i need brakes and KS and a lot of other sh*t before i start doin that.

back to the thread....
is there anything i can do to CHEAPLY modify my stock intake? im thinking like 50 bux or less.
ive read things like hacking it (drilling holes, removing the "scoop") and also ive seen these aftermarket "high flow" air filters for 30-50 bux.

anyone have experience with these things?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:19 AM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by ROCKART
does it really allow that much more air? boost hp? i remember some kid saying 5 hp, which aint much, but it all helps.
It does not give you more HP or TQ. It will allow more air though. It also makes the car tone during WOT a little bit louder/sportier.

does it let more dust/debris in than a fram air filter? supposedly it doesnt, but then again a website writeup will say anything to get you to buy the item.
I would personally get a Nissan OEM filter for $20. I stay away from Fram because I've heard bad rumors about their oil filters so I can't imagine their air filters are any better.

I use Nissan OEM Air Filter, Nissan OEM Oil Filter with AMSOIL 5W-30 (my local Napa sells AMSOIL ), a Purelator PCV Valve, 300ZX Fuel Filter from Advance Auto and Toyota OEM coolant. I will be going to AMSOIL ATF in the spring.

there is an oiling process, i guess to keep it moist so it can catch stuff. how often am i going to have to oil it?
I believe it is every 40,000 miles.

No. Get a Nissan OEM air filter.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:29 AM
dot dot dot ...

Clean interval is dependent on local conditions.

I've had one on both my cars for over 150k combined, no problems.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator

im poor
Then don't waste your money on crap like this. Stick to maintaining your car, not modifying it.

Maintenance before Mods

This question is answered on thier website and on the back of the box and in the instructions. I don't remember offhand, but it's xxxxxxx miles or when it's really, really dirty. Whichever comes first. Clean, re-oil, re-use.

Return the K&N and stick to maintaining your car. You want real performance, you're gonna have to pay for it---->FI
Old 10-30-2007, 08:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Frankencar intake ftw
Old 10-30-2007, 08:59 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by DAN/Max95
Frankencar intake ftw
No longer in business.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
No longer in business.
well thank goodness i still have mine from a couple years ago
Old 10-30-2007, 09:12 AM
dot dot dot ...

IAthisisanotehrintakethread.

Not that great, IMO. Too loud.

BBMAF/A33Airbox > FC.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:46 AM

yes replace with K&N filter. Your supposed to change ur regular paper filter every 12k miles, i believe. The k&n are good for 1 million miles. You dont even have to clean them that often, maybe every 50k... but depending where you drive too. This alone will save you a good amount of money on having to have to buy crappy paper filters every 12k miles. You wont get any HP from a drop in panel filter.. or any intake to be honest. But if you want a nice growl out of the intake, id get a CAI. They sell them on ebay for 20-30 bucks shipped and they work great. Just make sure to also buy a quality cone filter, probably from K&N. You will need to drill a hole in your fender tho on the inside near the battery. Also check the for sale section someones always selling something for cheap. Just my opinion to you.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:32 AM

I have a K&N drop in air filter, purchased in May 2004. The filter has 18,000 miles on it and does not need to be cleaned yet. I used to only get about 22 or 23k out of an OEM filter, not 30k as is the recommended replacement interval.

The K&N filter should not be over cleaned. I read on BITOG that it should be cleaned about as frequently as you would toss out the paper filter.

So I will take another look at mine in about 5,000 miles and decide if I should clean it.

I have read that the potential exists that increased silica levels can be seen in oil, following use of a K&N filter.

I am going to send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs in a couple of months to check on this, as well as to determine how my synthetic oil is holding up.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:38 AM

given your situation your best thing to buy for HP will be a knock sensor. a bad KS will decrease HP by around 20. then after all other maintenance, save up for a CAI cause it seems like you do want one eventually. why buy an expensive drop in filter if you plan on replacing it later? CAI are like $40 on ebay, then put a K&N filter on one of those.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:19 PM

ive read things like hacking it (drilling holes, removing the "scoop")
This again?

Tell us why you want a modified intake so badly?

Power? = Unless you get the belt-driven intake.

Sound? Just go on eGay and get a cone filter and MAF adapter. Easy to install and you can't take it out easily to put back the stock one.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:26 PM
dot dot dot ...

IAthisisanotehrintakethread.

Not that great, IMO. Too loud.

BBMAF/A33Airbox > FC.

:attention: / /
Old 10-30-2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by 99grnmaxgxe

Power? = Unless you get the belt-driven intake.
no HP increase
Get rid of the Fram and get an OEM,
they're cheap, and they WILL save your MAF,
ALL paper filters will kill your MAF at an alarming speed compared to OEM oiled filter.
And conisdering the fact that you said you're poor at the beginning of the thread....
GET OEM.
and replace your KS and brakes ASAP, forget the K&N, you're just buying a name, and a ridiculously overpriced one at that.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 10-30-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:37 PM

funny how iv never seen or heard of anybody replacing the filter with a factory one for the life of their car.. or having problems with a paper one..
Old 10-30-2007, 04:50 PM

paper filters allow more and larger particles through, which will toast your MAF a lot faster. They'll also grime up your TB and IACV faster, thats been proven time and time again. OEM is cheap, better quality, better peace of mind. That IS my .02 though. Should've put that down on the previous post:stfu:
Old 10-30-2007, 05:43 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
paper filters allow more and larger particles through, which will toast your MAF a lot faster. They'll also grime up your TB and IACV faster, thats been proven time and time again. OEM is cheap, better quality, better peace of mind. That IS my .02 though. Should've put that down on the previous post:stfu:

OEM is paper...I just got my OEM...it definitely didn't look or feel anything like the K&N. What "OEM" are you refering to? Cause I walked into Nemith Nissan in Latham, NY and asked for a 99 Maxima Air Filter and that's what he gave me. I doubt they have different versions of the same damn filter.

I got rid of my K&N after 4500kmi because it was affecting my idle (dirty TB and MAF). Please don't tell me nothing about the K&N. All it is good for is increased air and louder tone. That's it. I'd rather have a proper idle and less air than a car revving ITSELF and a dirty as TB and MAF (and a dead MAF at that).

Boo for K&N.

Do what you want original poster...but be aware, very aware. Your over-priced K&N air filter might cause you hundreds of dollars in parts costs later on down the road.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:44 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
funny how iv never seen or heard of anybody replacing the filter with a factory one for the life of their car.. or having problems with a paper one..
Well...I think factory ones are better. My dad has never cleaned a MAF or a TB in his entire life on ANY of his cars and has always used the filter that came with the car...took it out occasionally, washed it, dried it with an air gun and put it back in.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:50 PM

[QUOTE=The Wizard;6038138]Then don't waste your money on crap like this. Stick to maintaining your car, not modifying it.

Maintenance before Mods

Um, a K&N isnt a mod. its still a maintenence part. :stfu:
K&N is alot better than OEM, K&N sums it up just right by saying its like having a person breathe through a straw, thats what its like with a oem filter.
K&N allows the engine to breathe. it filters much better too, its the best filter on the market.

get it.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:52 PM

OEM filters have an oil coating, they're not 'just' paper, that's what I mean when comparing them to 'dry' paper filters. Even if you get a AE filter that you oil its not going to do the same job. Also the OEM's arent washable, they're a replacement item. Like I said though for 15-20$ I'd prefer the peace of mind and quality.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:54 PM

[QUOTE=choiiiiiiiiiii;6039324]
Originally Posted by The Wizard
Then don't waste your money on crap like this. Stick to maintaining your car, not modifying it.

Maintenance before Mods

K&N is alot better than OEM, K&N sums it up just right by saying its like having a person breathe through a straw, thats what its like with a oem filter.
K&N allows the engine to breathe. it filters much better too, its the best filter on the market.

get it.

Do us a favor and join a honda civic forum if u dont know what ur talking about..
Old 10-30-2007, 05:58 PM

:attention: / /
ummm ure guna have to break down what you said if you want attention from these WOW MY INTAKE ADDS 50HP guys.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:00 PM

[QUOTE=choiiiiiiiiiii;6039324]
Originally Posted by The Wizard

Maintenance before Mods

get it.
LOL believe everything you read off the K&N website? What do you think they're going to tell you?
I did find a good comparison tests that were 4th gen maxima specific a while back, Ill try and find em
Old 10-30-2007, 06:02 PM

[QUOTE=f550maranello2;6039337]
Originally Posted by choiiiiiiiiiii

Do us a favor and join a honda civic forum if u dont know what ur talking about..
K&N maintenance part... i think thats an opinion. I think his advice was very good. It is better to fix your car then to try to mod it. Seeing that he has a bad ks a filter that cost that much money...waste of time. Why did you have to be so ***.holeish about it and tell him to join the honda civic forum? I think he knows what he is talking about.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:04 PM

[QUOTE=f550maranello2;6039337]

Old 10-30-2007, 06:24 PM

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
this is all i could find right now, but its unbiased and has good information, long *** hell though lol. I will keep looking for something better cause this argument is constantly going on all over.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:50 PM

im poor. i NEED to start saving for...
[/SIZE]
Dude im right there with ya, but come on it will allow something ridiculous like less than 1% more air compared to a paper filter, + you will need to clean the k&n using a kit which costs money as well

here read the best air filter test i have seen on the web:

Its not worth it, paper filters better, its cheaper, and is within 1% difference of the performance of the K&N - also you are not going to keep the car long enough for the k&n (due to its high price and recharge kit price) to pay itself off!

why let more dirt into the engine, and pay more money doing it ???????????
Old 10-30-2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by andrei3333
Dude im right there with ya, but come on it will allow something ridiculous like less than 1% more air compared to a paper filter, + you will need to clean the k&n using a kit which costs money as well

here read the best air filter test i have seen on the web:

Its not worth it, paper filters better, its cheaper, and is within 1% difference of the performance of the K&N - also you are not going to keep the car long enough for the k&n (due to its high price and recharge kit price) to pay itself off!

why let more dirt into the engine, and pay more money doing it ???????????
Exactly. Fix your ks to see real power gains. If you want to do somthing cheap and easy just replace your cats with straight pipes. Will be lound and beeish but its poor people style.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by VQrebuild96
Exactly. Fix your ks to see real power gains. If you want to do somthing cheap and easy just replace your cats with straight pipes. Will be lound and beeish but its poor people style.
please dont get rid of the cats - gains are minimal - maybe even non-existent and you will be harming me and my future kids and my future grand kids by allowing bad gases into the atmosphere...
Old 10-30-2007, 07:22 PM

please dont get rid of the cats - gains are minimal - maybe even non-existent and you will be harming me and my future kids and my future grand kids by allowing bad gases into the atmosphere...
lol... i remember in my poor days i seen a increase of 20hp from a straight pipe from the manifold to the b...loud but cheap. pollution who cares its very few like this.. sad but true the human race will die eventually.

Last edited by VQrebuild96; 10-30-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:30 PM

so the cat constrains 20 horsepower?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:31 PM

Pre cats and cat=way more i was just giving a guessing number.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by VQrebuild96
sad but true the human race will die eventually.
You dont know that, we will not live to see this, and why add to the problem when you can be part of the solution ?

basically if there is anything i can do to save the environment i do it, i know its very little and there are huge businesses and factories that dump dirty chemicals into the atmosphere (i worked for one in the past) still, i like to think i am helping the environment, not killing it...

anyways thats off topic here
Old 10-30-2007, 07:35 PM

You dont know that, we will not live to see this, and why add to the problem when you can be part of the solution ?

basically if there is anything i can do to save the environment i do it, i know its very little and there are huge businesses and factories that dump dirty chemicals into the atmosphere (i worked for one in the past) still, i like to think i am helping the environment, not killing it...

anyways thats off topic here
^^All of that is just opinions and inferences. Who knows. Yes way off topic.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:11 PM

anywho........ i think that KN is waste of money.. and i dont care if it brings more air to the motor because if the computer cant compensate for it... it no good..
Old 10-30-2007, 08:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
because if the computer cant compensate for it.....
It actually over compensates.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:01 PM

[QUOTE=TunerMaxima3000;6039348]

LOL believe everything you read off the K&N website? What do you think they're going to tell you?
I did find a good comparison tests that were 4th gen maxima specific a while back, Ill try and find em
alright buddy. you go ahead and think what you want. there are plenty of people who know that i know talking about when it comes to intakes.

hey hows your vias? did it break like mine? oh wait, you dont have one...

Quick Reply: is the K&N drop-in air filter bad for your car?