4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Suspension Suggestions

Hey guys,

First of all, I have donated and I did and currently am still browsing all the info on this stuff. But I would like some actual input into what parts I am leaning towards. I am looking to do my suspension in the front at least, but I want to do it all around. Money isn't really an obstacle, but I don't want to spend like there is no tomorrow.

These are the things I want to at least replace:

Springs all around
Struts all around
Front end Bushings (control arms, sway bar, whatever else you suggest)

For the springs, I am thinking of going with the H&R sport springs. I like the no so low drop of 1.4 in the front and 1.3 in the rear. I will have to see where I could find the best price on them.

For the struts, I am just not sure. For the longest time I have been leaning towards the Tokico Illumina Struts. But I am just not sure now. I live in Minnesota, and the streets and roads can get pretty bad in the winter. And since I am going to be replacing the struts, what else on the struts am I going to want to replace. What parts of upper strut mounts do I want. Do I need to get any camber bolts for these springs. Any suggestions or comments on struts and parts here to match the springs would be appreciated.

Now for the Front end bushings and stuff, the guys at courtesy nissan and everyone else here at the ORG seem to really like the energy suspension parts. I hear they do make it a little loader. Considering they are polyeurethane. Do you guys just get a front kit, and sway bar kit and call them good? Or are there other ones I might want to do while I am under there. Anything in the back that I will want to replace? Again suggestions here would be nice.

Now for the things that I want to add on are as follows:

Front Strut Tower Brace
Rear Sway Bar
Rear Strut Brace ( if you think I even need it)

On these I just don't know what would be good quality, good price parts. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Not looking to get expensive wheels for this car, but I would like to get a set of these http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...ed&showRear=no. I have always liked the 7 Spokes on this style of max, it fills the wheel area nice and doesn't looke like it's missing something. These ones are 17x7.5, now would there be any spacers I would want for these wheels, it says in the description of the wheel that it already has a 42MM offset.

Well thats what I got so far. Again, I am still searching and sifting through all the Info for this type of project, but if you got time and feel like giving me some input, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys.

P.S. Does anyone make an aftermarket Supercharger for the VQ30DE anymore? Or am I destined to search for one used?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Former Vendor

h&r are great springs for a slight drop and good comfort. seems like tockico is winning the race vs. kyb these days. shortened konis and eibach seem to be the choice of the advanced suspension crowd. make sure to get dust boots, but not the ones made for the maxima. it's been a while since i bought mine but i thinkn its mustang fronts and miata rears. the mounting hardware can be reused or replaced, it's up to you. i bought the es bushing kit a long time ago but never installed it because of the lca bushing. fstb from ebay, unless you want a flashier one like stillen. addco or progress on the rsb. on a 7.5" wheel you're going to want a much lower offset if you want it flush. spacers are an option but if you're buying new you might as well just get it right. i would recommend going wider than 7.5". not sure about sc. vortech might still make one.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:33 PM

For the supercharger vortech no longer makes the kit. There are a ton of superchargers on ebay from mustang kits and what not, just make sure its counter clockwise and straight outlet. Then get mattys kit. Personally i ended up not doing this because of money, you have to understand your looking at an easy $2500, thats more than most of our cars are worth.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 PM

eibach is supposedly good for a drop