4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Does leather in GLE's crack and look old after several years?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2000, 05:57 AM
ascan

I was at some Nissan dealership, and the leather in a lot of the GLE's('95 - '98) was cracking and looking old. Does the leather in the Maxima GLE begin cracking and looking old after several years, or can it remain looking new for a long time? Can anyone suggest a good way to take care of the leather? Thanks.

Old 11-02-2000, 06:53 AM

quality and care

Well, to say something about leather-- it is sure heck easier to clean than cloth!! But in the summer, your butts going to be grilled and in the winter if you don't have the heated seats, it could stick like glue and freeze.

BUt I have to say there is nothign liek the feeling of leather. And leather needs to be cared for properly. I have a 97 GLE and it looks fine--"like-new" is the term I am using for it--because in 4 years now, it has gotten a bit "dirty" but I clean it once every month or two with some soft soap and water, and then I recondition it using the meguiar's leather conditioner. Leather needs oil to remain soft and nice, especially with all the temperatures it is exposed to-- freezing in the winter and 130+ in the summer when your windows are locked tight in there.

in any case, the leather is a decent quality--not superb, but if you take care of it--it should last.

by the way, for most of those who lease their cars, they don't really do a lot of maintenance such as cleaning the leather since they know they will return the car in 3 years and get something new.
and that could be why the leather is not in decent shape.

=)
Old 11-02-2000, 06:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can you say Lexol products?

Originally posted by ascan
I was at some Nissan dealership, and the leather in a lot of the GLE's('95 - '98) was cracking and looking old. Does the leather in the Maxima GLE begin cracking and looking old after several years, or can it remain looking new for a long time? Can anyone suggest a good way to take care of the leather? Thanks.
If yes then it will take care of all your leather care needs. Check out this site for more infos. http://autosupermart.com/

Ken
Old 11-02-2000, 09:27 AM

My seats look like new after 120k with regular care. The only problem I have had was some wear in the vinyl on the side from the seatbelt. A little black permanent marker and no one knows the difference. P.S. if you get a black interior make sure you tint the windows. That sucker will get hot inside.
Old 11-02-2000, 11:26 AM

I have a 97 se with beige leather and my driver side->

leather is F@CK up. My first mistake was buying beige leather I should have gotten black. I use Lexol to clean it and moisturize it but it still cracking.

Old 11-02-2000, 03:31 PM
OG :)

yes. especially where the seatbelts touch the seat.
Old 11-02-2000, 05:22 PM

I have a 95 GLE with black leather. Honestly the leather looks like new. The car had 72,000 miles and has always been garaged which helped. Just use most any leather conditioner every month or two.
Old 11-02-2000, 05:53 PM

I think it's time for me to clean my leather...
Anybody ever try Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner?
Old 11-02-2000, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Slowpoke

I think it's time for me to clean my leather...
Anybody ever try Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner?
Yes! It is good but most any brand is just as good as the other.
Old 11-03-2000, 08:43 AM
rotbang

Try color plus

http://www.colorplus.com/

It works very good for my 99se