4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

MT lock or shifter linkage problem??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

MT lock or shifter linkage problem??

I have had bearing failure on my trans for a couple of months now. The tranny has been riding on its last leg for quit a while. Today, I tried to put the car into gear but could not. I can shift the car into 1, 3, 5, and reverse. Is the tranny seizing on me or is it something involving the shifter? I have installed a short shifter as well.
Anyways, I have a spare tranny from Neal ready to put in.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:15 PM
No more Maximas...

Can you move past the gates into the actual gear, or are you prevented from doing so entirely?

If you know that the trans is 'on it's last legs', why even bother with a diagnostic? Could easily be the trans. Especially if you have a spare, just swap that one in.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Can you move past the gates into the actual gear, or are you prevented from doing so entirely?

If you know that the trans is 'on it's last legs', why even bother with a diagnostic? Could easily be the trans. Especially if you have a spare, just swap that one in.
Nope. I cannot move it into the gate/gear slot. It shifts into 1,3,5, and reverse but feels like something is blocking it from even shifting into gear.

Like I said, the bearings have been leaking and making whirling noises for months now.
Time to put in the tranny
Old 10-31-2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by RIPTIDER
I have had bearing failure on my trans for a couple of months now. The tranny has been riding on its last leg for quit a while. Today, I tried to put the car into gear but could not. I can shift the car into 1, 3, 5, and reverse. Is the tranny seizing on me or is it something involving the shifter? I have installed a short shifter as well.
Anyways, I have a spare tranny from Neal ready to put in.
because its 1,3,5 that is working and not 2,4 it could be a linkage/shifter problem
btw how do you know that you have bearing failure and which bearing are you referring to, that will make a difference here.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:06 PM
Maintenance Monster

It doesn't matter what the source of the problem is. You need to have tranny work done. Hopefully the internals are still rebuildable.

Dave
Old 10-31-2007, 08:33 PM

well when the problem first appeared, the noises started coming from the tranny. Everytime I let the clutch out and was riding the clutch, it made whining noises. So, replaced the rear main seal and the throwout bearing. Noise quieted down but was still present. It progressively became worse and worse until I had this problem.

Just thought I could crutch this problem a little longer so I could save up for a Stage 1 clutch kit while the tranny was out, that's all.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
It doesn't matter what the source of the problem is. You need to have tranny work done. Hopefully the internals are still rebuildable.

Dave
When I get my new tranny put in, let me know if you're interested in my tranny.
Depends where you live.
pm me.