4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tranny leaking!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:39 PM

Tranny leaking!

97 5 speed 152k miles - Its leaking where the axle goes into the tranny. From my experience here at maxima.org is that i have to rebuild the tranny, because if you put a seal in it, it will start leaking in 10k miles. Is this true? Also there is a sensor on the bottom of the tranny, well the wires got ripped out, will this hinder the performance any?

If i need to rebuild tranny, does anybody recommend anyone?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:08 PM

#1 thing to do is make sure you keep the trans fluid full at all times. you get low and your going to start missing a gear, then 2 and so on. have you had your mechanic look at it yet??? find out what he says and get back to us. and baby that max until then!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 02:22 PM
No more Maximas...

See if there's any play in the axle where it meets the diff, if there is then you need to go in for a rebuild.

The sensor on the bottom should be the R/N switch. Do your reverse lights work?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:53 AM
Maintenance Monster

Leaking may or may not require a rebuild. A tranny repair shop will be able to diagnose it properly.

Replace that sensor. It's only $25.

Dave
Old 11-06-2007, 05:49 AM

wait my trans leakes around the damn sensor.. does that mean anything besides replacing the sensor.. also if i pull the sensor out.. is all the fluid gonna rush out as well??
Old 11-06-2007, 06:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^ no & yes
Old 11-06-2007, 01:55 PM

Yep, my axle does have play. Will be watching the level of the fluid while i save up some coin.

Fellow org'rs, do you know of any online stores or shops that will do a good job? I live in temecula cali 92591

f550, I tried to get the oring for that sensor and could not get it, i had to buy the whole sensor from the dealer. You can do this: Buy the sensor and just take the oring and return the sensor=free oring. When you pull that out you will loose all your fluid.
f550, make sure your not leaking above that sensor, it may seem like its leaking.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Should be in bed...

Originally Posted by tbergma1
Yep, my axle does have play. Will be watching the level of the fluid while i save up some coin.
If it's the 5spd, Don't wait too long as it will be alot cheaper to rebuild then replace. A new seal may buy time, but it won't help you for long if the diff. bearing is bad; mine only made it a month and then it was scrap.
You have to jack the car up to fill the manual transmission fluid and you'll destroy it if you go too long without oil.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Maintenance Monster

about the leaking around the sensor - the sensor is the lowest part of the tranny. Any leak on the tranny may collect and drip off the sensor.

Unfortunately so too can oil blow back/up across much of the tranny, making the source to be difficult to spot.

In any case wipe the tranny clean and look hard for the actual source. I once had a loose bolt up where the sensor wire clips in, and when the car was moving a little oil would come out, run down the sensor wire, and drip. It took a little effort to figure out it wasn't leaking at the sensor o-ring, rather, just a loose bolt higher up.

Dave
Old 11-06-2007, 05:06 PM

headloss - did it only last a month because you ran it out of oil? Still waiting for some answers on where to take it for tranny work.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:33 PM

i've been doing some researching here on the org and i'm hearing stuff about "reshimming" the transmission and that most mechanics skip this step.

Can somone tell me more about this reshimming deal?
Can you guys tell me what you paid to get your 5 speed rebuilt?
Can you guys tell me what you paid for a replacement?
Thanks
Old 11-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Maintenance Monster

Reshimming:
The transmission is built with 3 axles: the input shaft, mainshaft, and differential carrier. Each shaft has bearings at the ends. The tranny is a sandwich of two aluminum casing halves that fit over the axles. In order to affordably account for the manufacturing imperfections of the casings, shafts, and gears stacked on the shafts, Nissan uses shims of various thicknesses between one of the bearings and the casing to make the fit perfect. The fit must be perfect to put the right amount of squeeze on the bearings, since bearings need just the right amount of squeeze to last the longest.

Whether due to poor assembly at Nissan, or due to racking (distortion) of the casings in use, a used 4th gen Maxima transmission usually measures for different sized shims when it's rebuilt. This problem is not common among manual transmissions in general, and ordering different-sized shims from Nissan takes time (make the customer wait another week), so most tranny rebuilders just re-use the original shims. But in this case it will lead to premature tranny wear. That's why it's important to get it rebuilt by a knowledgable rebuilder. I have a CD notebook with all of the shim sizes in stock so I don't have to wait weeks to get the right size from Nissan. I can do that because I only work on Maxima 5 speed trannys.

Rebuild price depends greatly on what needs replaced and how conservative and expensive the rebuilder is. $500 is a really good price, and I imagine some full-service shops would charge 3x or 4x that. Installation/removal and any clutch work is extra.

Used trannys are selling for $400-1000 depending on condition. (hint: used trannys have wear too, so have it inspected before installing it - rebuilds aren't fun, but they're a lot cheaper if you catch a problem early and before you install it in the car).

Dave

Last edited by dgeesaman; 11-07-2007 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:24 PM

rebuild it
Old 11-13-2007, 02:35 PM

OK, I called a few shops around here and narrowed it down to Dyno trans in temecula. They gave me a range of $700-1200 depending on how bad it is when they take it apart. I asked him what it will cost if the everything is good and just replacing bearings. He said closer to 700.

I called the stealership for clutch kit and quoted me $207, is that good? Do these clutch kits suck?

If so, let me know what you guys recommend?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Willing to learn

I called the stealership for clutch kit and quoted me $207, is that good? Do these clutch kits suck?

If it is the Key Value kit from Nissan, then yes they do suck, hard.

I just put an Exedy clutch in mine. Great feel and performance.

The old Key is right now laying outside the shop rusting in the rain. I'll never buy or install another one.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:35 PM

To be honest. I wouldnt freak out just yet. My tranny leaked from the axle since 05 until I sold the car 4 moths ago. I got a increase in bearing noise but it didnt just get loud fast and then break. Nethier did I have and tranny problems. Just keep the fluid level up and slowly start saving for a newer or rebuilt tranny. Just because its leaking at the axle doesnt mean its about to bust.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:48 PM
SLOW

OK, I called a few shops around here and narrowed it down to Dyno trans in temecula. They gave me a range of $700-1200 depending on how bad it is when they take it apart. I asked him what it will cost if the everything is good and just replacing bearings. He said closer to 700.

That is about the price I'd expect you to pay for a rebuild. I'd consider purchasing a transmission from dgeesaman rather than going to a local shop though, people who specialize in one type of transmission generally do better work than those who don't specialize and I believe dave does top notch maxima trans work. I rebuild maxima transmissions as well on the side (I work at a specialized high performance transmission shop) but I haven't had time to do any lately - too busy with commercial flight training and work, etc.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 90stanza
To be honest. I wouldnt freak out just yet. My tranny leaked from the axle since 05 until I sold the car 4 moths ago. I got a increase in bearing noise but it didnt just get loud fast and then break. Nethier did I have and tranny problems. Just keep the fluid level up and slowly start saving for a newer or rebuilt tranny. Just because its leaking at the axle doesnt mean its about to bust.
thats good news cause i know mine is low and i'm tired of ordering redline off ebay..saving for a rebuild.

anyone know the recommended rebuild kit to buy? anywhere that sells tougher parts? or are those unnecessary/not available?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:07 AM
Should be in bed...

headloss - did it only last a month because you ran it out of oil? Still waiting for some answers on where to take it for tranny work.
Honestly if I would have just left it alone I think it would have lasted longer...My mechanic replaced the seal after finding the transmission 1/4 full and I don't think that the seal set right.
Regardless, we replaced the seal and I continued to drive my car for three more weeks; I dropped off my car once for a rebuild and it sat for about five days (they never even looked at it). About a week later (ftl when a friend had borrowed my car) the seal gave, the oil drained and the tranny sh*t itself.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:16 AM
Should be in bed...

To add insult to injury:

I payed about $1800 for a rebuilt tranny and about a thousand more for man-hours at aamco (I didn't really have a choice at this point as I had to leave the country for two months and stab my wife with the repairs).

I should have at least upgraded to a LSD from the canadian max or an infiniti or bought a quiafe.
I should have read the boards more back then.

live and learn.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:51 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by headloss
To add insult to injury:

I payed about $1800 for a rebuilt tranny and about a thousand more for man-hours at aamco (I didn't really have a choice at this point as I had to leave the country for two months and stab my wife with the repairs).

I should have at least upgraded to a LSD from the canadian max or an infiniti or bought a quiafe.
I should have read the boards more back then.

live and learn.
that's a bummer being as you can buy a factory new transmission from nissan for like $1650...
Old 02-19-2008, 11:00 AM

OK, I took my tranny out and gave it to a shop called Dyno Trans in Temecula, Ca. They charged me 1000 bucks to rebuild. I bought a new clutch kit, flywheel from them, its made by luke or lucas. I threw in the new tranny and clutch kit and flywheel. I have about 3k on new rebuild and no problems. I would recommend them to anyone, they stand behind there work (dont see that to often). Could not tell you what they would charge if i just took it in.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:31 AM

OK, I took my tranny out and gave it to a shop called Dyno Trans in Temecula, Ca. They charged me 1000 bucks to rebuild. I bought a new clutch kit, flywheel from them, its made by luke or lucas. I threw in the new tranny and clutch kit and flywheel. I have about 3k on new rebuild and no problems. I would recommend them to anyone, they stand behind there work (dont see that to often). Could not tell you what they would charge if i just took it in.
i wish i had the knowlege and power to drop a tranny and put back it..i paidd 900 for a uased tranny and its acting up almost 2 years down the road..
Old 02-19-2008, 03:59 PM

5 speeds are simple, do not have to take engine out. I can carry it by myself, i think it ways like 70lbs.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:40 PM

5 speeds are simple, do not have to take engine out. I can carry it by myself, i think it weighs* like 70lbs.
You dont have take the motor out to remove the auto tranny either...
Old 02-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Whatchyou say?

5 speeds are simple, do not have to take engine out. I can carry it by myself, i think it ways like 70lbs.
109# .... not 70# and you know it when it is laying on your chest and you're about to lift if for the third or fourth time! I just rebuilt my 5spd, did a write up and it can be found a couple pages back (best to search for ... Comprehensive 5spd rebuild) The job was not easy, but not overly hard either.

You can try just replacing the seal, but if it continues to leak, you'll likely need a rebuild.

G'luck .... cheers!
Old 02-20-2008, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
You can try just replacing the seal, but if it continues to leak, you'll likely need a rebuild.

G'luck .... cheers!

Old 02-20-2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by chillin014
You dont have take the motor out to remove the auto tranny either...
Damn, i missed that. I guess thats what happens when you type to fast. I feel stupid.