4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen 5 speed sucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 01:01 AM

4th gen 5 speed sucks

Yes. I said it. This transmission just doesn't have any of the qualities a good manual transmission has.
People buy a manual over an auto for performance, longer service life, economy. The 4th gen auto in 4th gear revs the engine lower then a 5 speed. A 5 speed has lower gas mileage over an auto because of it, not to mention that by running the engine at a higher RPM decreases engine life over an auto so it sucks on the highway. The 5 speed is a weak transmission. It blows. I seen a couple people here with blown transmissions. I don't care if they are driven hard. That's why it's a manual. And they also leak oil. They don't usually last long before a rebuild neither.

This 5 speed just doesn't perform like a manual transmission, isn't economic like a manual transmission and it's not dependable. I had an auto 97 Max with 200k miles before this 99 and the transmssion was still going strong. This manual wont last as long.

I'll give it props because there is a VLSD version so you can at least get massive FWD wheel spin from BOTH wheels instead of just one - I think I'm in trouble on that last one
Old 11-10-2007, 01:21 AM

As for the mileage, the manual gets slightly better city and slightly worse highway. In practice you will have your foot in it more with the 5 speed though. I average about 20mpg and I've got a lead foot.

As for the revs on the highway, get over it. First of all, the reason for the short gearing is the passing power. Have you ever had to downshift cruising at 70 in order to make a pass? I haven't. Put your foot in it and the car just moves, at 3 grand it's just sitting at the bottom of the torque band. At 140 (top speed) the VQ is sitting at peak power (5600RPM or so), so from a performance standpoint the fifth gear is perfectly acceptable. Second of all, the VQ is not going to blow up on you because you're turning it over at 3000rpm, most people get at least 300k out of this motor, aside from a few outliers. Just use full synthetic like you should and you'll be fine. I've taken a few extended trips (300 miles) in my car turning over 4 grand the whole time. If you think that's bad, go drive an NA miata. That thing's fifth gear is shorter than an A32's fourth, 80 is ~4200rpm and the car redlines at 6500.

As for the strength, while it isn't particularly bulletproof, it deals with a ****ton of wheelhop and tards with stage 69 clutches chirping gears everywhere they go. If your auto is lasting longer chances are you weren't driving it hard enough.

The VLSD was also offered in the AT if you know where to look. Only I30s and Canadian A32s received the VLSD 5 speed, you won't find one in a USDM A32 Maxima.

As for the performance, I don't know what to tell you. It performs just fine for me, if you're unhappy with the gas mileage either rebuild your tranny with an Altima fifth gear and higher FD or go auto (didn't think so).

I will openly admit that the Maxima manual transmission isn't exactly the best tranny in the world, but I would rather an awesome engine and decent transmission than vice versa. It's got some nice, short gearing, and while it has basically a ski pole shifter, it has a nice direct feel to it. The main concern from a performance standpoint is the crappy synchros that make it near-impossible to shift lightning quick on a car with high miles.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:01 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
As for the strength, while it isn't particularly bulletproof, it deals with a ****ton of wheelhop and tards with stage 69 clutches chirping gears everywhere they go. If your auto is lasting longer chances are you weren't driving it hard enough.
and

I'm on my 4th
Old 11-10-2007, 05:13 AM
Maintenance Monster

The manual is not a particularly beefy design, and it has longevity problems. The longevity is a failure on the part of Nissan.

Put in a heavy clutch and start throwing more shock into the drivetrain and it will crumble in most cases. If you treat it well it will last the life of the car with maybe one rebuild. 2000-2001 5 speeds aren't a whole lot stronger. Cry all you want, that's not what the car was designed to do. The VLSD is designed for low-traction situations, not burnouts. The only reason the auto survives longer IMHO is the torque converter that cushions the shock. Proper use of the clutch is equally effective.

Bottom line: this car is a grocery-getter - what did you really expect? A Supra Getrag?

Dave

Last edited by dgeesaman; 11-10-2007 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Qbridg3
Yes. I said it. This transmission just doesn't have any of the qualities a good manual transmission has.
People buy a manual over an auto for performance, longer service life, economy. The 4th gen auto in 4th gear revs the engine lower then a 5 speed. A 5 speed has lower gas mileage over an auto because of it, not to mention that by running the engine at a higher RPM decreases engine life over an auto so it sucks on the highway. The 5 speed is a weak transmission. It blows. I seen a couple people here with blown transmissions. I don't care if they are driven hard. That's why it's a manual. And they also leak oil. They don't usually last long before a rebuild neither.

This 5 speed just doesn't perform like a manual transmission, isn't economic like a manual transmission and it's not dependable. I had an auto 97 Max with 200k miles before this 99 and the transmssion was still going strong. This manual wont last as long.

I'll give it props because there is a VLSD version so you can at least get massive FWD wheel spin from BOTH wheels instead of just one - I think I'm in trouble on that last one
i dont get it.."it blows" ? yet...you haven't "blown" one? Are you speaking from personal experience or just what you've read online.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
... The VLSD is designed for low-traction situations, not burnouts...
isn't a burnout a low traction situation?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:23 AM

Only I30s and Canadian A32s received the VLSD 5 speed, you won't find one in a USDM A32 Maxima.

yea u will mine.........
Old 11-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
yea u will mine.........
Well not factory realeased you wont. Many of us have done the swap over though.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Boosted Panda

My last 5-speed made it to around 300k before the synchros went out. To me thats a pretty decent tranny. Granted I never really abused it, I did get on it from time to time but never really ragged on it daily.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:35 PM

I have a Canadian model with the 5-speed, LSD and thinks its a good transmission. No problems so far. Granted I am only coming up to 71k, mostly highway miles.

I have no qualms with the fuel economy and have received 29 -31 mpg on a US gallon basis on numerous trips.

If you don't drive like the car like you stole it, the tranny should last for quite some time.

Chances are the differential carrier bearing will have to be replaced somewhere along the line, however, on an earlier year 4th Gen.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Beast Mode!!!

Someone's upset they have to drive an auto...

From a dude who had 2 5spd Hondas, honestly, coming from the best shift linkages in the world, the Max isn't that bad. The clutch/shifter are a little heavier and less precise, but they're definitely not bad.

I don't know about tranny strength but everything on a car will eventually go, especially if you abuse it.

And of course with a 5spd you have better control of your gas mileage... I can lug around in 3rd all day, shift at 1500 all the time, etc. I get 18mpg half city/highway... not bad for a 200HP 3.0L car...
Old 11-10-2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by skuccio's max
And of course with a 5spd you have better control of your gas mileage... I can lug around in 3rd all day, shift at 1500 all the time, etc. I get 18mpg half city/highway... not bad for a 200HP 3.0L car...
I get better than that, and my foot goes through the floorboard sometimes.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Beast Mode!!!

I get better than that, and my foot goes through the floorboard sometimes.
City includes NYC traffic at times. It goes from 18-20
Old 11-13-2007, 02:45 PM

Well my 5 speed needs a rebuild after 152k. Shifts fine but the axle moves around a little inthe tranny, I think its the diff bearings that are worn out. I do drive my car hard every day. I usually hit 100mph everyday to work and wip it throught the corners on the way home. I am impressed with the clutch, I still have the origional. Somebody should put a pole of how long there origional 5speeds have lasted.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My auto needed to be replaced at 70K....so quit your bitc*ing OPer...
Old 11-13-2007, 04:10 PM

143K, original clutch with 3 learning drivers, ridden fairly hard, not a single problem.....
Old 11-13-2007, 05:07 PM

I am at 266,000 miles right now and i am impressed. I have to change the seal because its leaking... it shifts rough every once in a wile but for a car with all that miles it is very good. The mustangs and camaros that take beatings like we put on our maximas they only last like 80-100k and this is what i see from my friends. The clutch i have is stock changed at 130k and it runs great. If you think the 5speed sucks either you don't know how to drive or u just beat the hell out of the car.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Bottom line: this car is a grocery-getter - what did you really expect? A Supra Getrag?

Dave
Cracked open a A33B/A34 6-speed? For a grocery getter, that tranny is pretty damn beefy.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
AHAHAHA
Old 11-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Wild for Width

This thread is dumb and false.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
This thread is dumb and false.
I'll see your dumb and false and raise you AIDS.

Originally Posted by nismology
Cracked open a A33B/A34 6-speed? For a grocery getter, that tranny is pretty damn beefy.
If anyone has ever cracked open any Maxima transmission, it's definitely not dgeesaman.

Given, he's more of a fourth gen guy...
Old 11-13-2007, 06:31 PM

Well he's obviously the resident gearbox guru (along with neal) but he might not have come across any 6-speeds.

Back to your cave...
Old 11-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Wild for Width

I'll see your dumb and false and raise you AIDS.
LOLz when I saw that I thought you were saying "you have aids".
Old 11-13-2007, 06:43 PM

LOLz when I saw that I thought you were saying "you have aids".
You might still want to get tested. I'm just saying... you've had unprotected relations with plenty of OEM (i.e. used) wheels in the past few months. I usually try and use spacers, but that will still only do so much.

Originally Posted by nismology
Back to your cave...
Already there, my cave has 4 megabit cable.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Wild for Width

You might still want to get tested. I'm just saying...
Only thing I have is a bad attitude
Old 11-13-2007, 06:47 PM

How much would it cost to get the lsd part? Is it much more than a standard diff?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:48 PM

Only thing I have is a bad attitude
Ah, you slipped in before the funny-adding ninja.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:51 PM

maximas arent meant to be the **** out of everyday and manual trannys arent cheap so i try to keep my "getting on it" to a minimal knowing that the threat of buying a 1200$ transmission wont feel too great in my pockets..so if u wanna beat the **** out of something guy buy a honda with a b series swap and buy stolen trannys for 3-400$...just my opinion though

Last edited by bkmax96; 11-13-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Wild for Width

Word. Yeah I do have a tendancy for the OEM+ look.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:20 AM

I Have a 96 Max (standard) with 290,000 miles on it, original motor and tranny. I bought it from my friends dad, who did all of the up keep himself. The tranny fluid has been changed twice, got its second clutch at 248,000. As for engine rev I am at like 3 grand doing 70-75 (in 5th) which is not really great. But as far as engine life don't think it has any effect as far as high rev lowering engine life due to the fact that most of those miles are highway, meaning he got in the car everyday and drove it down the highway at about 3 grand for hours on end. Gas mileage, he said the best he ever go was 31 but said he mostly got 29-30. I think if I could do 60 at 1500 mpgs would suck, it has no torque in there. Between fighting the wind and hills to maintain 60 you would just be giving it as much pedal as holding it at 2500 - 3000 if not more. When I set the cruise at 3 grand (sorry don't know the exact speed) the pedal stays in pretty much in the same place. Thats better than it constantly changing, letting the cruise dump in fuel and air that it isn't using efficiently every time you hit a hill. Or you could down shift, oooowwww sign me up for that not. I think nissan got the gearing just right for the power the car has and where it has the power. The only thing I don't like about the tranny is the factory throw is kind of awkward, can't tell if its too long or what, or maybe I just suck at shifting. Nissan rocks, I love almost love everything about this car. Water pump not driven by belt assembly so the tension doesn't wear out the bearings and it lasts a lot longer. We replaced it at the same time we put in the new clutch (248,000) car wasn't running hot or anything I mean when do you decide this is kind of a bad science experiment. Sorry to rant and get off topic just haven't been able to post or start a thread yet. This is my first standard car and I've been pretty hard on it but so far it just keeps asking for more. My Max isn't exceptional, your just not using yours for what it was designed for (family car). I'm 19 and naive, and run it out to 6 grand all to often. The day I do and the valve train takes a poopy thats my fault not the cars cause it wasn't designed for that.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
Well actually, yes it is. It's the moment before the tires start to spin that gets ya.

Another point about the shifting - if it's not very precise, buy a new shifter bushing and install that. Most Max's on the road are not as smooth as they once were for this reason.

Dave
Old 11-14-2007, 09:21 AM

Should have bought an auto.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by HiMi5SPD
I Have a 96 Max (standard) with 290,000 miles on it, original motor and tranny. I bought it from my friends dad, who did all of the up keep himself. The tranny fluid has been changed twice, got its second clutch at 248,000. As for engine rev I am at like 3 grand doing 70-75 (in 5th) which is not really great. But as far as engine life don't think it has any effect as far as high rev lowering engine life due to the fact that most of those miles are highway, meaning he got in the car everyday and drove it down the highway at about 3 grand for hours on end. Gas mileage, he said the best he ever go was 31 but said he mostly got 29-30. I think if I could do 60 at 1500 mpgs would suck, it has no torque in there. Between fighting the wind and hills to maintain 60 you would just be giving it as much pedal as holding it at 2500 - 3000 if not more. When I set the cruise at 3 grand (sorry don't know the exact speed) the pedal stays in pretty much in the same place. Thats better than it constantly changing, letting the cruise dump in fuel and air that it isn't using efficiently every time you hit a hill. Or you could down shift, oooowwww sign me up for that not. I think nissan got the gearing just right for the power the car has and where it has the power. The only thing I don't like about the tranny is the factory throw is kind of awkward, can't tell if its too long or what, or maybe I just suck at shifting. Nissan rocks, I love almost love everything about this car. Water pump not driven by belt assembly so the tension doesn't wear out the bearings and it lasts a lot longer. We replaced it at the same time we put in the new clutch (248,000) car wasn't running hot or anything I mean when do you decide this is kind of a bad science experiment. Sorry to rant and get off topic just haven't been able to post or start a thread yet. This is my first standard car and I've been pretty hard on it but so far it just keeps asking for more. My Max isn't exceptional, your just not using yours for what it was designed for (family car). I'm 19 and naive, and run it out to 6 grand all to often. The day I do and the valve train takes a poopy thats my fault not the cars cause it wasn't designed for that.
wow. ok.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 AM

ajcool, those new skylines in your sig are badass , i want one

i have one thing i want to say....

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE ****ING TRANNY SELL THE MOTHER****ER AND GET AN AUTO OR VICE VERSA, THEN DON'T EVER BUY ONE AGAIN!!!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by jvckustumz
ajcool, those new skylines in your sig are badass , i want one

i have one thing i want to say....

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE ****ING TRANNY SELL THE MOTHER****ER AND GET AN AUTO OR VICE VERSA, THEN DON'T EVER BUY ONE AGAIN!!!!!
yeah sell it to me!!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by chillin014
yeah sell it to me!!
well my point was for him to sell it to me, i love my auto b/c the drop resistor mod kicks *** and on long trips or coming home late at night and i'm tired it is so much easier to just press the gas but i love man. tranny's
Old 11-14-2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by jvckustumz
well my point was for him to sell it to me, i love my auto b/c the drop resistor mod kicks *** and on long trips or coming home late at night and i'm tired it is so much easier to just press the gas but i love man. tranny's
but 5 speeds are such junk!! i hope you dont pay more than 50 bucks for it.

I know what you mean, I used to be auto but swapped and have never looked back. I often drive home very late as well and I think the 5 speed helps me stay awake honestly...when it was auto I remember drifting off very frequently. Plus driving a 5 speed helps you be MUCH more aware of the road and your speed if you ask me. it sounds opposite, but like everyone says "I have an auto , i can eat, drink, flip channels on the radio all while driving"...exactly my point...your going to multitask because you can. kinda like sleeping and driving at the same time

anyway I know that was kinda besides the point but this thread has gone down the drain anyway. Be happy your auto's have 4 gears..i have an el camino with only 3....
Old 11-14-2007, 10:31 AM

ill buy it if it aint in bad shape and i got 2 autos in good condition ready to be traded with 5 speeds
Old 11-14-2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by chillin014
I think the 5 speed helps me stay awake honestly...when it was auto I remember drifting off very frequently. Plus driving a 5 speed helps you be MUCH more aware of the road and your speed if you ask me.

at least i will die in my baby at 2 in the morning!!! lol
Old 11-19-2007, 07:54 PM

i love my 5 speed grocery getter.. it's awesome! i've had it for 8 years and i love getting in it every morning to go to work.

Quick Reply: 4th gen 5 speed sucks