4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can I get pictures of Engine bay grounding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 03:03 PM

Can I get pictures of Engine bay grounding?

Hi.

I need some pictures of the engine bay grounding. I will rewire the ground wires to get rid of hard to starting problem when the engine is hot.
I met a kind guy who told me about the ground wire. He recommand here are a lot of pictures and information related to engine grounding to me.
Honestly I'm not sponsor member yet, so I couldn't use the search function.
Can you help me?

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:18 PM

sorry im kinda confused about your post. Do you want pictures of stock ground points because your wiring is messed up or are you wanting pictures of grounding kits? if you interested in the latter just google it or look at this site http://www.groundingkits.co.uk/ .

I doubt a grounding kit would really help fix a hard start situation, its probably something bigger causing a problem like that
Old 11-12-2007, 04:33 PM

http://www.activetuning.com/products...stallation.php
Old 11-12-2007, 05:23 PM

^ i got that kit, it did nothing for me and the problem i am still having, but go ahead i think it is worth the price of admission

Its a bit cheaper to make your own kit, and its more fun to DIY...this one is just neatly put together and convenient
Old 11-12-2007, 05:29 PM

I mean ground kit.
Can you show your ground kit picture to me? andrei3333
Thanks.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by hermtm2
I mean ground kit.
Can you show your ground kit picture to me? andrei3333
Thanks.
I think he is talking about a "ground kit."
Old 11-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I really dont see the point in grounding kits...

I stuck a multimeter on my positive terminal on the battery, then went around every point on my block and chassis and i didnt measure even 0.1 of a volt out on anything. They were all entirely the same readings from front to back. I think the grounding on a Maxima is pretty good anyway.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:57 PM

couple pics, they show a couple of contact points:

Old 11-12-2007, 06:59 PM

So by ground kit you mean lights on your underbody?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by black_maxed95

is that the ground kit from Ebay?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:36 PM

its a nismo but they are all the same
Old 11-12-2007, 08:13 PM

so did you notice any difference after you installed the grounding kit? like even a quicker start? and some grounding kits have the voltage stabalizer... anybody got one? anybody know if its worth it either...
Old 11-12-2007, 08:55 PM

i felt like my car started a little quicker, had a little better response, lights were brighter.

i actually got a free voltage stabalizer that i havent tried out yet. i dont know much about them but im thinking about putting it on soon to try it out. im assuming it will have no noticable effect tho
Old 11-12-2007, 10:01 PM

well thats good to know. maybe ill invest in an ebay one or possibly just get the voltage stabalizer and make my own grounding kit with some monster wire n and gold terminals lol *the perks of being a monster distributor (get stuff uber cheap)*... if you do the stabalizer let us know if you notice any more difference. from what ive heard it helps on the lights, and sound system more then anything.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:59 AM

Where did you get the round plate on negative terminal?
What is that?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:07 AM

I went with the active tunning kit back in the summer. All i can say is that it definetly starts much faster on both cold/warm starts (unusually fast when cold). I can play the stereo louder without distortion, and the idle on stoplights smoothed out when the lights & stereo are on.

Those are the real benefits that i can gather, although the idling with electrical load might have smoothed out due to a new 130A alty.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:22 AM

Where did you get the round plate on negative terminal?
What is that?
It comes with the eBay kit. It connects to the negative terminal of the batter and distributes out to the wires.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by 99grnmaxgxe
It comes with the eBay kit. It connects to the negative terminal of the batter and distributes out to the wires.
yeah from what ive seen in most kits there are two types. the kits that just use a bigger better gauge wire and ground to the frame and the kits that actualy run back to the negative terminal... im guessen the ones that run to the negative terminal would be much better. now if anybody would just try the voltage stabalizer!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by max_dreamer
yeah from what ive seen in most kits there are two types. the kits that just use a bigger better gauge wire and ground to the frame and the kits that actualy run back to the negative terminal... im guessen the ones that run to the negative terminal would be much better. now if anybody would just try the voltage stabalizer!
heres pics of the voltage stabilizer i have:
is it worth putting on?

Old 11-13-2007, 01:37 PM

oooohh, has anyone tried one of these?
Old 11-13-2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by jordandalley

I stuck a multimeter on my positive terminal on the battery, then went around every point on my block and chassis and i didnt measure even 0.1 of a volt out on anything. They were all entirely the same readings from front to back. I think the grounding on a Maxima is pretty good anyway.
Its not the point of voltage, you should be measuring resistance (ohms). I believe in it. Everytime i would hit the brakes, my headlights used to dim, not anymore after the grounding kit. Also, if you read some reviews of the maxima, the grounding has been a problem.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by jordandalley

that test proves nothing in this respect.

That looks really cool.
But the ground wires are so long by doing in that way. You're better off grounding it with the shortest length of wire and grounding it to the body.
really looks funky though I've never seen that before.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Horizontally opposed.

Originally Posted by tbergma1
Also, if you read some reviews of the maxima, the grounding has been a problem.
My dad is a Nissan mechanic. He too says the 4th gens seem to have alot of ground problems.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
that test proves nothing in this respect.

That looks really cool.
But the ground wires are so long by doing in that way. You're better off grounding it with the shortest length of wire and grounding it to the body.
really looks funky though I've never seen that before.
to me it looks like an octopus...anyways, everything ive always read says to ground things to the negative battery terminal.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:05 AM

+1 to measuring volts being worthless. Resistance & amperage are 2 terms that need some study for that post.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:02 AM

i tried out my voltage stabalizer today and like i suspected i didnt notice any changes, ofcourse i only took the car for a quick test drive. maybe at night ill be able to notice a change with the lights...

Old 11-14-2007, 01:02 PM

to me it looks like an octopus...anyways, everything ive always read says to ground things to the negative battery terminal.
grounding to the negative battery terminal is not necessary.
The body of the car is the main conductor, as such, grounding to the body with a shorter wire is better because there is less resistance, therefore more flow.
If grounding to the Neg terminal was necessary, all ground wires from all components would be grounded there, rather, they're grounded to the main conductor(body).
Also it keeps the engine bay much cleaner.
and yeah it does look like an octopus.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:04 PM

yes i meant active tuning grounding kit. ill get pics another day , but same thing as the instructions on their site
Old 11-14-2007, 07:42 PM

So... Can I get a round plate thing on the negative terminal seperately? Or any alternative thing? Do you guys have any idea? I bought wires and connectors already.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:41 PM

i tried out my voltage stabalizer today and like i suspected i didnt notice any changes, ofcourse i only took the car for a quick test drive. maybe at night ill be able to notice a change with the lights...

well i was gonna say yeah you should try it. thats probably the best brand your gonna find and its actualy the one i was gonna try out. sucks you didnt notice much. im sure theres a small difference but for the money and all the small perks id say its a good buy. i think if i do it ill probably just build a bracket n mount the stabalizer where that intake air redirect tube shiznit is... idk, just somethin to do in the neer future. but yeah looks pretty snazzy if ya ask me lol
Old 11-14-2007, 08:56 PM

well i was gonna say yeah you should try it. thats probably the best brand your gonna find and its actualy the one i was gonna try out. sucks you didnt notice much. im sure theres a small difference but for the money and all the small perks id say its a good buy. i think if i do it ill probably just build a bracket n mount the stabalizer where that intake air redirect tube shiznit is... idk, just somethin to do in the neer future. but yeah looks pretty snazzy if ya ask me lol
i dont know how much these cost, i was given it for free. ok now i dont know if this is related or not but after installing this i was driving for about 10 minutes...then i turned on my radio(bose headunit) and the display no longer works....ARGH!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:06 PM

i dont know how much these cost, i was given it for free. ok now i dont know if this is related or not but after installing this i was driving for about 10 minutes...then i turned on my radio(bose headunit) and the display no longer works....ARGH!
hmm that is wierd. did you disconnect the positive battery terminal? maybe you lost the memory to your bose...? just a thought. maybe pull the fuses n check to see if they are good. are you still getting sound just no display?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:08 PM

i never disconnected any terminals. i get sound like always just no display now
Old 11-14-2007, 09:22 PM

yeah thats pretty wierd. i couldnt tell ya what it could be. maybe try to disconnect the voltage stabalizer n see if it comes back but i highly doubt thats it.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:25 PM

yeah thats pretty wierd. i couldnt tell ya what it could be. maybe try to disconnect the voltage stabalizer n see if it comes back but i highly doubt thats it.
ya i doubt thats it too but i will quick try it tomorrow. if it doesnt i have another bose headunit but idk if it works (also came with my car) or i have a nice pioneer headunit from my old max...or i could try to fix the headunit, i know there are write ups for non working displays.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:36 PM

ya i doubt thats it too but i will quick try it tomorrow. if it doesnt i have another bose headunit but idk if it works (also came with my car) or i have a nice pioneer headunit from my old max...or i could try to fix the headunit, i know there are write ups for non working displays.
yeah. its shouldnt be anything to difficult enless the display just decided to crap out on you the same time you installed the stabalizer lol. then its just a bad unit. if youve got a good pioneer then just throw that in there.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:09 AM

So... Can I get a round plate thing on the negative terminal seperately? Or any alternative thing? Do you guys have any idea? I bought wires and connectors already.
grounding to the negative battery terminal is not necessary.
The body of the car is the main conductor, as such, grounding to the body with a shorter wire is better because there is less resistance, therefore more flow.
If grounding to the Neg terminal was necessary, all ground wires from all components would be grounded there, rather, they're grounded to the main conductor(body).
Also it keeps the engine bay much cleaner.
and yeah it does look like an octopus.
geez, read man, read!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by 99grnmaxgxe
geez, read man, read!
?

10chars
Old 11-16-2007, 07:10 AM

?

10chars
Not towards you, towards the other guy.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:51 PM

I installed the four new grounds today. But they don't help getting rid of a hard starting problem. Help me... Nobody know about the problem even dealership.

Quick Reply: Can I get pictures of Engine bay grounding?