4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Knock Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:36 AM

Knock Sensor

So basically...I've tried and tried by myself to get it out. I've used all the guides and I can't do it. All the places I call charge me at least $400 bucks to do it. Is there anybody local of RI that could help me out? I'll pay for whatever you need and costs of labor. Please
Old 11-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Im in North Jersey, what year is it, when?. It won't cost,I'll show ya. Vin

Originally Posted by lemises
So basically...I've tried and tried by myself to get it out. I've used all the guides and I can't do it. All the places I call charge me at least $400 bucks to do it. Is there anybody local of RI that could help me out? I'll pay for whatever you need and costs of labor. Please
Old 11-16-2007, 10:07 AM

I changed mine out awhile back. I got frustrated and almost gave up with it. But I didnt and was able to change it out myself. Just make sure you have a short swivel socket. If you dont then its going to be nearly impossible to get that bolt off. And dont give up. Let me know if you have any luck.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:08 AM

It's a 98 SE man. I'm a junior in HS, but I've got some pretty big hands. It really blows because I do football and wrestle and I have a job where I work 36 hours a week, so I have no time to work on it.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:15 AM

Hey man Im in Lowell, MA I could meet up with you if you wanted. Try it again though, try to wear like a golf glove or some kind of tight sport glove. Then reach remove anything that is annoying you. And just keep working at it, if worst comes to worst ask a little kid or someone who might have smaller hands. I have huge hands myself and they got pretty cut up when I installed mine.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:17 AM

Yeah I've kinda tried that. See... I have the raquet and the extension with the universal. It fits perfectly onto the bolt that holds the knock sensor, but... When I try to turn it, it pulls the universal sideways, thus pulling it off the bolt. I can't seem to get it to stay on it.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:18 AM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by nissanfreak
I changed mine out awhile back. I got frustrated and almost gave up with it. But I didnt and was able to change it out myself. Just make sure you have a short swivel socket. If you dont then its going to be nearly impossible to get that bolt off. And dont give up. Let me know if you have any luck.
how did you measure the torque setting when putting the new one in?

you didnt disconnect the battery before replacing it did you? is that a good idea?

and how long did it take for you to feel a difference in pull (the ECU to reset...)
Old 11-16-2007, 10:22 AM
No more Maximas...

Yeah I've kinda tried that. See... I have the raquet and the extension with the universal. It fits perfectly onto the bolt that holds the knock sensor, but... When I try to turn it, it pulls the universal sideways, thus pulling it off the bolt. I can't seem to get it to stay on it.
The whole u-joint approach never really worked for me either. A 1/4" ratchet, short 12mm socket, and a screwdriver is all I needed, took 15 minutes.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:43 AM

could just take off the intake manifold, then its really easy.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by ROCKART

you didnt disconnect the battery before replacing it did you? is that a good idea?

and how long did it take for you to feel a difference in pull (the ECU to reset...)
yeah I'm also curious about these questions
Old 11-16-2007, 10:46 AM

knock

a) I didn't measure, I guesstimated torque by hand
b) Yes I disconnected just for good measure.
c) It took my car about 2 months to really get back its *****, it seemed to happen gradually.
d) don't forget to clean,sand and condition the ground contacts on top of the manifold

Just for fun, I tried removing it with 12mm universal socket and 12 or 15 inch extension bar, not 12 mm socket with universal joint and bar,pressed extension bar up against upper manifold and I did it twice as the one I had from someone was bad also. A bit tricky, but repeatable.

Last edited by scooby68; 11-16-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:51 AM

I didnt torque it down becuase I had no room to get a torque wrench in there so I just tightened it the best I could.

I did disconnect the battery. Im sure it wont make a differenct if you leave the battery connected. But I didnt want to take a chances of something weird happening so I just disconnected it.

I felt a difference almost right away. And my gas mileage was alot better too!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:54 AM

Also I forgot to mention that my max has that california emission crap on it. So I had a few extra things in my way. But it is possible to do.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:00 AM

Well, I'm a four hour drive away in N NJ and a freebie for ya, just gotta let it cool down first, have to fit my shedule though. got any days off? Vince

It's a 98 SE man. I'm a junior in HS, but I've got some pretty big hands. It really blows because I do football and wrestle and I have a job where I work 36 hours a week, so I have no time to work on it.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:02 AM

The swivel extension and 12mm socket worked great for me. Putting the bolt back is the tricky part. I used a piece of paper towel around the head of the bolt and put it in to the socket so the bolt would fall out when putting it on. Took 20 min.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:06 AM
wants an I35

you mean you pushed the bolt through the paper towel and wrapped it around the head of the ratchet? then when it was in you tore the paper towle?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:20 AM

If you put in the knock sensor/harness with bolt in it already, as a single assembly in one motion it works for me and I'm 230 lbs with medium big hands, got it started and then used 12mm u-socket. I loosened/ removed senors and hoses that partly blocke my access to it to do this though. so let me know which way you do it.

you mean you pushed the bolt through the paper towel and wrapped it around the head of the ratchet? then when it was in you tore the paper towle?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:23 AM
wants an I35

yea thats how i was figuring to do it. and yes i am also 6'1" 240 pounds.

im actually paying my neighbors hot little girlfriend a meal at dennys to stick her hand down in there and remove/replace it.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:28 AM

....I think I hear mine knockin again......maybe I should replace mine again, can come over Saturday dude, I'll but her dessert? :}

anyway you should get pics of her hotpants little hands to post for all of us to learn the "Right way to replace a KS", for sure it will get accolades and in the "stickies" :}

im actually paying my neighbors hot little girlfriend a meal at dennys to stick her hand down in there and remove/replace it.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:29 AM
wants an I35

haha alright. np. expect them sunday.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:52 AM

KS

I don't have a huge forearm, but I cut up my forearm pretty nice when I did it this, I scrapped them on the twin side by side 1/8" vacuum manifold pipe(pipettes?) as I had their hoses off, smooth them off, or wear a sleeve on that arm or something. Almost forgot, as odd as it sounds, I think the access opening unbelievably, made this a left handed job really, can't remember for sure, so I hope she can put it in lefty! lol

Last edited by scooby68; 11-16-2007 at 12:21 PM. Reason: add info
Old 11-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Ridin' Spinnaz

I found that some flex sockets require a different angle for movement as opposed to other flex sockets. Make sure yours is sufficient and, if you can't get it to work, try buying another.

I'm 6'4" and have large hands so it took me about 2 hours to finally get this bad boy done. When in doubt, ask someone with smaller hands =)
Old 11-17-2007, 12:39 AM

I used the 12" extension + swivel joint + 12mm socket.. crack loose the inital "seal" and then hand loosen the screw .. the install is the reverse.. as for torque, snug + 1/4 turn is good enough

*I have small hands.. lol

the only thing I recommending, do it when the car hasn't run all day or do it when the IM has a chance to cool down.. really NOT recommended to do while the car is hot.. ( s'funny, I keep telling people that, but 2/3 maximas I changed the KS, they were both really hot) lol
Old 11-17-2007, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by scooby68
I don't have a huge forearm, but I cut up my forearm pretty nice when I did it this, I scrapped them on the twin side by side 1/8" vacuum manifold pipe(pipettes?) as I had their hoses off, smooth them off, or wear a sleeve on that arm or something. Almost forgot, as odd as it sounds, I think the access opening unbelievably, made this a left handed job really, can't remember for sure, so I hope she can put it in lefty! lol
you are right, it is a left handed job for the simple reason you gotta lean over the engine bay from the driver front corner light , over the battery and slide your hand in sorta in a 45 degree angle.. lol.. but yeah, even with small hands, you can get "cut" / scrape pretty bad
Old 11-17-2007, 12:44 AM

im actually paying my neighbors hot little girlfriend a meal at dennys to stick her hand down in there and play with it.
you sure you didn't mean that ^^^ instead?
I couldn't resist but to slightly modify what you wrote..
Old 11-17-2007, 08:34 AM
wants an I35

ur saying let the IM cool down just cuz it might be hot?

there are no mechanical reasons to let it cool right?
Old 11-18-2007, 02:57 PM
wants an I35

as promised, pictures of the knock sensor journey.

couldnt believe the amount of pull my car had after the new one was installed. this may sound crazy, but it even sounds stronger - has a deeper noise when you gas it.

i figured i would provide some additional pictures; kind of a step by step more than whats on motorvate.ca. frankly the pictures on there are not great and leave a lot of room for questions.

what it should look like standing on the drivers side.

this is the old one as seen from the same vantage point (close up of where the green arrow is pointing to)

then it helps to have a hot neighbor who is willing to trade her time for a meal at dennys.

Last edited by ROCKART; 11-18-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:59 PM
wants an I35

wow......

this is the old one still connected to the harness. i figured there would be two wires connecting to it because there are openings for two, but apparently there is only one.

and the finished product.....took about 30 minutes (about 10 of that was trying to loosen the bolt for the first time).

Last edited by ROCKART; 11-18-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:00 PM
wants an I35

and then a picture of my new SWEET A$$ black OEM mats for good measure.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:11 PM

Great pics, clears up everything for me right now. And real clean car.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Owns way too many maximas

As long as its not a 99 with the extra emissions crap, I have got them down to 10-15 minutes with cleaning the grounds. I never stick my hand in there at all. I used a 3/8 ratchet, an assortment of extensions, and a 12mm socket with a universal. Get in there, crack the bolt loose. Then spin the bolt off with the extension setup. Then once its un threaded, lift on the harness with your left hand, while pushing down on the extension with your right. SO you use both left and right hands pulling it out. All I do is reverse the procedure for install, and bam, its done. and not once have my hands went into the hole
Old 11-18-2007, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Blaxima95
As long as its not a 99 with the extra emissions crap, I have got them down to 10-15 minutes with cleaning the grounds. I never stick my hand in there at all. I used a 3/8 ratchet, an assortment of extensions, and a 12mm socket with a universal. Get in there, crack the bolt loose. Then spin the bolt off with the extension setup. Then once its un threaded, lift on the harness with your left hand, while pushing down on the extension with your right. SO you use both left and right hands pulling it out. All I do is reverse the procedure for install, and bam, its done. and not once have my hands went into the hole
Agree, did the job myself in about a half hour, I was surprised how easy it went. One of those long springy pickup things with the claws at the end, can't think of what it's called, can help also. That tool is great, comes in real handy.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:55 PM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by Blaxima95
i actually bought a one piece extention flex ratchet from home depot for the job. i finally dropped it on the bolt after 5 mins of trying and found out there wasnt enough of an opening/space to get the rachet to catch and begin to turn.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:48 AM

braking the bolt or tightening it, wasnt the hard part it was getting the new one back in and lined up as not to strip the threads.. im a big guy with big hands.. no way i would be able to get my hand in there... solution for me.. had my 12 year old daughter stick her hand in there with her help i can do it in 5 minutes. she threads it by hand till she cant move it any more and i go back in ther with the 12 mm socket and extentions with the U-joint.

Got to do it again because my Harness is bad.. hopefully i can have her take the harness off with out removing the sensor..
Old 11-19-2007, 09:13 AM

Unfair..........

Geophrum, there is that U-shaped spring retaining clip on the end of the harness socket, she won't be able to deal with that without some nicks in her little hand bro, unless you skipped putting back on the first time.

BTW Nice Pics Rock! :} You should know that its not fair to take pictures of your car when its new and sparkling clean and them post them 10 years later! :}

as promised, pictures of the knock sensor journey.

couldnt believe the amount of pull my car had after the new one was installed. this may sound crazy, but it even sounds stronger - has a deeper noise when you gas it.

i figured i would provide some additional pictures; kind of a step by step more than whats on motorvate.ca. frankly the pictures on there are not great and leave a lot of room for questions.

what it should look like standing on the drivers side.

this is the old one as seen from the same vantage point (close up of where the green arrow is pointing to)

then it helps to have a hot neighbor who is willing to trade her time for a meal at dennys.

Last edited by scooby68; 11-19-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:24 AM
fatboy97maxima

and then a picture of my new SWEET A$$ black OEM mats for good measure.

ayyy man were u got those mats i need some new mats

Old 11-19-2007, 09:31 AM
wants an I35

call south pointe nissan at 888 254 6060 - ask for Dave Burnette. tell him you were directed to south pointe from Maxima.org. i think these mats cost 68 bux? and were at my house in 3 business days. he is the ultimate source for 4th gen parts in my mind.

i did some business with courtesy nissan a couple of months back and was not nearly as pleased.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by scooby68
Geophrum, there is that U-shaped spring retaining clip on the end of the harness socket, she won't be able to deal with that without some nicks in her little hand bro, unless you skipped putting back on the first time.

BTW Nice Pics Rock! :} You should know that its not fair to take pictures of your car when its new and sparkling clean and them post them 10 years later! :}
Man i forgot about that little metal clip.. thanks for reminding me... well i guess its off with the sensor then.. just waiting for my replacement harness to come in and then me and my daughter will work on it..

she actually enjoys doing it and i told her that in 3-4 more years she will be learning to drive on this car.. want her to learn as much about it as possible
Old 11-19-2007, 12:32 PM

where can i get the knock sensor ? i mean besides the dealers any better places with better price ?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 PM
wants an I35

yea i paid 120 something from dave b at south pointe. ive seen a picture of the same one that i got from him at ROCKAUTO for like 66 bux.

you should know tho that when i ordered it from dave i asked him why and how rockauto could sell them so much cheaper. he said something like they get these generic parts and are manufactured in these huge companies in japan and as a result there is no quality control.

at that point i figured id spend the extra 60 to get the OEM nissan-backed one. after all this is a sensor, not just a peice of metal or plastic. i imagine its pretty fragile and prone to errors.

Quick Reply: Knock Sensor