4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

transmission rebuild write-up??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:38 PM

Ya Chillin, This Is my 1st tranny rebuild, and I don't have a camera to take photos, but maybe I can get one.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:43 PM

Now about the solder crush method, I am supposed to use the bearing race right? Like press it into the transmision case, then when I join the two cases together the differential itself will actually press it in even further until the solder crushes or what? Or, do I press the race in completely until it hits bottom and put the solder in between race and bearing? The reason I ask is because I wasn't sure about seating the race completely in by using the diff bearings, seemed like it would not be good for them.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
Now about the solder crush method, I am supposed to use the bearing race right? Like press it into the transmission case, then when I join the two cases together the differential itself will actually press it in even further until the solder crushes or what?
Right. Just put the bearing race in far enough to touch the solder. When you tighten the case bolts the race will squeeze the solder to fit.

Dave
Old 12-02-2007, 05:13 PM

well it looks like one solder crushed slightly and matched up with the two original shims, like 0.033 and the other solder was literally crushed down to like 0.017, or about a thick hair. You think should I should just only reuse the two shims and see what happens? I was told that the quaife is more dense than the stock and could expand slightly more than the stock diff when intense heat happens...so a bit less shimming is desireable, making the 0.017 like sort of an expansion zone.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:24 PM
SLOW

you didn't do the solder crushing correctly if you got measurements that vary that much. there should be virtually zero variation between them, maybe .01-.02mm variation between the two pieces is what i see when i do it.

you need to make sure to place the solder such that the letters engraved on the back of the bearing race don't get crushed into the solder. hold the solder in place with some grease. after you've crushed it, you measure the thin part of the solder. the way the bearing races are shaped, part of the solder will be much thicker than the rest, you have to measure the thin, flat portion of it. then after you do the solder crush correctly, you measure the solder and add .40-.45mm to your solder thickness for the diff shim specifically.

ive never seen anything to indicate that quaifes need to be shimmed any differently than the regular differential. i shimmed mine no differently, and we do tons and tons of them at work and shim those no differently either.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
you didn't do the solder crushing correctly if you got measurements that vary that much. there should be virtually zero variation between them, maybe .01-.02mm variation between the two pieces is what i see when i do it.

you need to make sure to place the solder such that the letters engraved on the back of the bearing race don't get crushed into the solder. hold the solder in place with some grease. after you've crushed it, you measure the thin part of the solder. the way the bearing races are shaped, part of the solder will be much thicker than the rest, you have to measure the thin, flat portion of it. then after you do the solder crush correctly, you measure the solder and add .40-.45mm to your solder thickness for the diff shim specifically.

ive never seen anything to indicate that quaifes need to be shimmed any differently than the regular differential. i shimmed mine no differently, and we do tons and tons of them at work and shim those no differently either.
Ya I put an X shape solder in the passenger side and the driver side axle bores. When I put the diff in, it was sitting on the passenger side solder, then I put the casing on and torqued it down, and took it back apart and the solder that it was sitting on (passenger) was hella thinner than the driver side, because it was sitting on it I guess and was crushed a bit earlier than the driver side. The driver (up) side was about as thick as the two shims that came with the transmission. Are you saying that I have to add almost half a millimeter to it?
So you saying that I should just re use the old shims then? Because there's two of them, and they were both on the driver side axle bore, there were none on the passengerr side, even after I got the race out. All said and done, the new diff has about half a millimeter of end play, is that okay for the quaife?
Old 12-03-2007, 02:49 AM
Maintenance Monster

No end play. Read the FSM. You need enough shims to put a (.40-.45mm) squeeze on it. In fact all you need is the measured endplay and the FSM will tell you which shim sizes to use, part numbers and all. The reason for the endplay is to compensate for the thermal growth of the housing, so that at operating temps it's running with a tiny bit of preload. If you're going to hammer on this tranny, maybe even one shim size tighter.

You need to re-do the solder, putting it only on the end where the shims are (drivers side). In theory you could add the thicknesses of the two solder sets that you crushed but I don't think it's as accurate, and since you're a first-timer it's better to keep it simple. When you get a decent measurement, repeat the routine just to be sure. It's time well spent.

Dave

Last edited by dgeesaman; 12-03-2007 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
No end play. Read the FSM. You need enough shims to put a (.40-.45mm) squeeze on it. In fact all you need is the measured endplay and the FSM will tell you which shim sizes to use, part numbers and all. The reason for the endplay is to compensate for the thermal growth of the housing, so that at operating temps it's running with a tiny bit of preload. If you're going to hammer on this tranny, maybe even one shim size tighter.

You need to re-do the solder, putting it only on the end where the shims are (drivers side). In theory you could add the thicknesses of the two solder sets that you crushed but I don't think it's as accurate, and since you're a first-timer it's better to keep it simple. When you get a decent measurement, repeat the routine just to be sure. It's time well spent.

Dave
AHHH...The FSM was showing something about differential side bearing torque and how much torque is desireable...I guess that what the .45mm squeeze accomplishes right?
Old 12-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Maintenance Monster

Yep.

I don't test the torque as I don't have the right tool to do it. I go by the preload measurements and double-check that the input shaft turns smoothly by hand with moderate resistance.

Dave
Old 12-03-2007, 05:55 PM

well, my solder on the driver side measured to be, in INCHES now, 0.061". That is roughly 1.55mm. So, My shim would be about 1.95-2mm? (1.55 + .40)
Is this sounding about right?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 PM
SLOW

you did use two pieces of solder on the driver's side and you measured the thin, flat part of the solder, right? not the thicker edge of it.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
you did use two pieces of solder on the driver's side and you measured the thin, flat part of the solder, right? not the thicker edge of it.
ya, the solder gets out from under the race so the edge is raised, I measure the flat surfaces. Do my above numbers seem high to you? And is it common to use more than 2 shims because it's looking like I'll need 3. 2 of 0.0315 and 1 of 0.0173

Last edited by Maximeltman; 12-03-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:19 AM
Maintenance Monster

Yeah you should repeat the measurement. I've always gotten shim measurements that were near the middle of the range of sizes listed in the FSM.

Make sure the faces of the housings are perfectly clear of dings or junk. Also use at least 4 bolts to pull the housings together for this solder squeeze step.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:56 AM

so as far as the shims. one guy posted (i think his name was Sin) and he said that nissan doesnt make any shims thin enough for us. obviously you can't know until you measure but what do yall knowledgeable guys have to say about that?
Old 12-04-2007, 11:54 AM

Yeah you should repeat the measurement. I've always gotten shim measurements that were near the middle of the range of sizes listed in the FSM.

Make sure the faces of the housings are perfectly clear of dings or junk. Also use at least 4 bolts to pull the housings together for this solder squeeze step.
So you are saying that my shims are too big? I used about 8 bolts torqued to 18 ft/lbs to pull the casing together btw, and the solder keeps saying 0.061" or 1.55mm. That's weird, my shims that came out of the housing were 0.027" or so, both measuring 0.056" or so... So the difference is: 0.061-0.056=0.008"... That seems right? maybe the quaife diff is 0.008" shorter than the stock you think?
Old 12-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Maintenance Monster

Make doubly sure that the bearings on the diff are driven down all the way and the pass side bearing cup is in all the way too. Then measure again. I've never seen a measurement outside of the Nissan shim range.

Dave
Old 12-04-2007, 06:20 PM

Make doubly sure that the bearings on the diff are driven down all the way and the pass side bearing cup is in all the way too. Then measure again. I've never seen a measurement outside of the Nissan shim range.

Dave
I hit the bearings on using the old bearing race and a brass mallet...they seem to be fully seated, as the mallet bounced off them. Funny thing is, when the solder was in, and then the OEM shims were in, the diff has no end play with the original shims of 0.056" even though the solder was 0.006" bigger...And I understand no end play is desireable. I'm goin' mad crazy here!!! lol
So, I might reuse the originals. They seem to hold the diff properly. The solder crush method delivered time and time again about 0.061" or so, so maybe I'll just reuse one of my 0.027" shims that came with it, and then use a 0.0346" shim that I just ordered. Let's see, that makes 0.0616" or so..I think that's what I'll do.
Thanks dave and all the others like nealoc for helping me out..stay tuned for inside the whip updates...one more thing, if I brought the tranny to a transmission shop, told them to shim it, what you guys think it will cost me lol.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Maintenance Monster

Hm. I'm still surprised that you ended up with .061 endplay, which is off the Nissan chart.

Dave
Old 12-04-2007, 07:46 PM

im dieing to see pictures of this solder crush thing really.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
im dieing to see pictures of this solder crush thing really.
All that you do, is put solder between the differential bearing races and the transmission case, and torque it all down, and open it back up, tap the races out the case, and look at the solder where it's crushed.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
All that you do, is put solder between the differential bearing races and the transmission case, and torque it all down, and open it back up, tap the races out the case, and look at the solder where it's crushed.
what else are you replacing during the rebuild? and does it seem fairly straight forward? or are you just following the fsm. or the motorvate how to.

thanks for the info
Old 12-04-2007, 10:42 PM

what else are you replacing during the rebuild? and does it seem fairly straight forward? or are you just following the fsm. or the motorvate how to.

thanks for the info
just the differential and its bearings.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You should just buy the drivetrain kit and do all 6 bearings instead of just two. trust me.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
You should just buy the drivetrain kit and do all 6 bearings instead of just two. trust me.
i have the differential bearing symptoms. what are the chances that an actual gear is messed up? cause i've grinded gears a couple times.

i'm going to try to order my kit within the next couple days.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:13 AM

NEED HELP IMMEDIATELY

I dont have rights to post my own topic....
But this is related to trannies.

I have a 98 max SE 3.0
The differential and the support are in a very VERY bad shape.
I brought it to the dealer, and they are quoting me 880$ for the differential and 280$ for the support. A total job of about 2800$ work included.

I cant help but think this is EXTREMELY overpriced.
If my tranny was in the worst possible state.... would it cost that much?
Can you think of alternatives I can use to save some money aside from popping in a used one? (if it was used, would it have to be a 4th gen?)

NEED HELP ASAP - garage needs an answer on if they should order the parts.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Maintenance Monster

i have the differential bearing symptoms. what are the chances that an actual gear is messed up? cause i've grinded gears a couple times.
The gears may be messed up but it can be hard to tell between normal wear and real damage.

Unrelated. The things that grind during a bad shift are not the gear teeth that are directly affected by bad bearings.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 AM

The gears may be messed up but it can be hard to tell between normal wear and real damage.

Unrelated. The things that grind during a bad shift are not the gear teeth that are directly affected by bad bearings.
i didnt fully understand the second part there. can you reword it?
how common is it to have damage beyond the usual bearings?
Old 12-05-2007, 12:57 PM

All 6 bearings?!? That means I would have to shim even MORE lol...It's enough PITA for me just doing TWO lol...The other bearings look to be in good shape ie no spalling, but thanks for the advice. Who sells the kit anyway, for how much?
Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 PM

Hey ho...this is great
Nissan didnt get my shim in today, so i'll have to wait until monday to get it. I redid my clutch while i'm in there. you guys think that the plastic aligning tool is ok to use? and I re-used the same pilot bushing because it was a b!tch to get out, is that ok?
Old 12-09-2007, 01:04 PM

bumpers
Old 12-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Maintenance Monster

Pilot bushings do nothing.

Search is your friend.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:20 PM
SLOW

i haven't ever used a pilot bushing on a maxima when installing the clutch. you can just eyeball it with the alignment tool or without, I've done it both ways.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:04 PM

okay thanks guys...also, my new throwout bearing doesn't have the tabs on the side to hold the clips that hold it onto the withdrawal lever, does it need those tabs because without them, the bearing wouldn't be held very securely, unless it just needs the axle tube to hold it..the bearing came with a clutch kit that I bought on here a couple months back, possible they sent me the wrong bearing?
Are any Nissan Release bearings the same for different model cars, so could I use a pathfinder, sentra, etc??

Last edited by Maximeltman; 12-09-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Maintenance Monster

It would seem you need to transfer those clips to the new t/o bearing.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:58 PM

It would seem you need to transfer those clips to the new t/o bearing.
Not the clips, Dave, the clips came off the old bearing, I know I must reuse them on the new one. The new one does not have the tabs that the clips are suppose to snap onto. It's smooth, and the clips slide off.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:13 AM
Maintenance Monster

That doesn't sound like the right t/o bearing.

If you really need one PM me I have a spare new in box.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:16 AM

That doesn't sound like the right t/o bearing.

If you really need one PM me I have a spare new in box.
Right on man, I'll pm u 4 sure
Old 12-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

U should pm him about the shims also, your local dealer will keep saying "they should be in tomorrow" but they will never come................

Don't forget to sand the bellhousing & starter surfaces.......
Old 12-10-2007, 03:29 PM

U should pm him about the shims also, your local dealer will keep saying "they should be in tomorrow" but they will never come................

Don't forget to sand the bellhousing & starter surfaces.......
Sand them? Hey would you worry about asbestos in the clutch I think I may have breathed some in
Old 07-20-2012, 01:07 PM

Bump on an old thread...
For those that don't know, I've been using this transmission until now and it has bad diff bearings, again. I pulled it and replaced both diff bearings again. The driver side replacement roller race does not go all the way in the transmission housing, unless I tap it in, and then I can't get a solder crush reading because the race is too tight in the case. I think that was the problem last time. At least I hope it is.