4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

JWT ECU Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 07:14 PM

JWT ECU Upgrades

Hello,

I am looking at some of the upgraded ECU's that Jim Wolf Technology offers and I am curious about them. I am looking at the 96 auto fed spec ECU and the auto tranny mode one, I am planning to combine these together if that is possible.

Has anyone used these before?
Does anyone have any information about the auto tranny mode ECU upgrade?
Any comments information, and experience is very helpful.

Here is a link to their website: http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/

Thanks
Stephen

I am searching for information right now but I have yet to find anything that has been useful to me.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:42 PM
No more Maximas...

Based on search and memory, I don't believe anyone here has used their unit (TMAX5-13000). Someone made a tiptronic style control unit a long time back, but good luck finding one of those.

It really isn't worth it, JWT's TCM upgrade. Go with the ECU for okay gains, but no real reason to spend that much more on useless stuff.

According to http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=196455
Originally Posted by Vyrus
The explained to me that the 3-way toggle switch has the three modes below:
Normal: Shifts and behaves exactly as OEM, for prolonged transmission life.
Snow: Only allows the transmission to engage first and second gear, ideal for snowy/icy conditions.
Performance: Bypasses rev limiter to allow a slight increase in powerband (he could not specify how much further it went), and allows the transmission to engage into a gear at a higher RPM.
Mode one? That's a given.
Snow? Leave the shifter in manual second.
Performance? Manually shift it, but unless you have a different IM (i.e., not the USIM) and a good ECU, there's no point in wringing it out to 6550. You make no power up top on the VQ30.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:56 PM

I have a full cattman exhaust headers-catback, dont know if that changes anything or not. So pretty much your saying that the upgrades wouldn't add any power either one of them, maybe a little from the non tranny mode one right?

I am just looking at electonic controllers and stuff to tune my set-up as it is running rich and everything, so what would you reccomend to tune my set-up and at the same time maybe see some additional power.

Also I am planning on getting an 00VI later down the road, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the help
Stephen
Old 11-25-2007, 08:38 PM

Get a MEVI/00VI first if you even plan on getting a JWT. IMHO, it is not really worth the money. You can get an advanced fuel pressure regulator (to advance timing) and a VAFC/SAFC to tune which will do basically the same thing at 1/2 the cost (minus raised rev limiter).

If you're looking for more power, get a VI first.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:44 PM

Alright that answers my questions then...I just saw these and though I would ask about them too see if people thought they were really worth the money or not. I was just planning on getting the VAFC first for Xmas from my parents as well as some money that I will use to buy an 00VI, so hopefully if everythign goes according to plan I will have both and will be making some good power and be tuned properly. I will have to check out the fuel pressure regulator and see if it is worth it for an exhaust system and an 00VI.

Thanks for the help,
Stephen
Old 11-25-2007, 08:46 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
Get a MEVI/00VI first if you even plan on getting a JWT. IMHO, it is not really worth the money. You can get an advanced fuel pressure regulator (to advance timing) and a VAFC/SAFC to tune which will do basically the same thing at 1/2 the cost (minus raised rev limiter).

If you're looking for more power, get a VI first.

Adjustable, not advanced. And you can only advance timing if you have an AFC as well to alter the MAF signal to lean it out a bit. Other than that, I agree, definitely get a MEVI/00VI before the ECU.

Or, there's an EU for ~the same cost, that can do all that and much more.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Adjustable, not advanced. And you can only advance timing if you have an AFC as well to alter the MAF signal to lean it out a bit. Other than that, I agree, definitely get a MEVI/00VI before the ECU.

Or, there's an EU for ~the same cost, that can do all that and much more.
What do you mean the same cost...the same cost as a VAFC or an ECU?

I think I am just going to skip the ECU entirely seeing as its so expensive. Also I have another question about the ECU, would that give me big gains, that make it worth paying that type of money for the ECU?

What brand EU do you recomend so I can check that out and see what I want to do?

Thanks
Stephen
Old 11-25-2007, 09:10 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Blackmax1924
What do you mean the same cost...the same cost as a VAFC or an ECU?

I think I am just going to skip the ECU entirely seeing as its so expensive. Also I have another question about the ECU, would that give me big gains, that make it worth paying that type of money for the ECU?

What brand EU do you recomend so I can check that out and see what I want to do?

Thanks
Stephen
Roughly the same cost as most of the ECUs sold for the A32 out there.

The aftermarket ECUs will give you some gains, most realized with the extended rev limiter and a different IM, but worth it? Not IMO, after I've played around with an EU for a while.

GReddy is the brand, EU is the product.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:14 PM

Roughly the same cost as most of the ECUs sold for the A32 out there.

The aftermarket ECUs will give you some gains, most realized with the extended rev limiter and a different IM, but worth it? Not IMO, after I've played around with an EU for a while.

GReddy is the brand, EU is the product.
Alright well that settles that then I will definately skip the ECU, I will check out the Greddy EU right now.

Does the greddy give any gains or is it the same as the ECU?

Thanks
Stephen
Old 11-25-2007, 09:19 PM
No more Maximas...

Alright well that settles that then I will definately skip the ECU, I will check out the Greddy EU right now.

Does the greddy give any gains or is it the same as the ECU?

Thanks
Stephen
It doesn't give any gains, per se, it's a full piggyback to your current ECU. With a wideband and either autotune or tuning it yourself along with timing advance, etc., you will gain power depending on a multitude of factors.

Basically, it'll let you do most whatever you want; raise the fuel cut to 8000 RPM, add or subtract quite a bit of fuel over a good amount of points, advance or retard timing, MAF signal alteration...the list goes on.

It's a good product, but not for someone who wants a plug and play sort of install and configuration.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:45 PM

It doesn't give any gains, per se, it's a full piggyback to your current ECU. With a wideband and either autotune or tuning it yourself along with timing advance, etc., you will gain power depending on a multitude of factors.

Basically, it'll let you do most whatever you want; raise the fuel cut to 8000 RPM, add or subtract quite a bit of fuel over a good amount of points, advance or retard timing, MAF signal alteration...the list goes on.

It's a good product, but not for someone who wants a plug and play sort of install and configuration.
I read all of the things it can control and it seems overall amazing, and I know it is going to take a while to program and set-up and everything and that is good with me.

I have a couple questions about it though:

1. Can it open the Vias for the 00VI like the RPM switch and VAFC?
2. Once I program all of the settings, do i need to adjust it often or is it something I can set and forget and then whenever there is an update or I add something to the car and need to tune it or want to change a setting because it doesnt feel right?

Thanks
Stephen
Old 11-26-2007, 03:36 PM
No more Maximas...

I read all of the things it can control and it seems overall amazing, and I know it is going to take a while to program and set-up and everything and that is good with me.

I have a couple questions about it though:

1. Can it open the Vias for the 00VI like the RPM switch and VAFC?
2. Once I program all of the settings, do i need to adjust it often or is it something I can set and forget and then whenever there is an update or I add something to the car and need to tune it or want to change a setting because it doesnt feel right?

Thanks
Stephen
1. It's supposed to be able to, I've seen a few people try but IIRC, none of them got it working.
2. You don't really need to adjust it after tuning it, unless you want to retune after adding another mod, for a different climate, whatever.