4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rear brake prob

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 01:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

rear brake prob

here is the problem;

my wife has a 1999 nissam maxima and it has 45000 miles on it. the car runs great, but last week she had the squealing comming from the brakes. i took the car to pep boys(my trusted friends work there) and was informed the right rear was metal to metal and the left rear rotor needed replacement. and the front brakes were in perfect condition. i had pep boys replace brakes and rotors. i am not a novice to car repair, so my question is, has any one had a simular prob? i am thinking this might be a prob with the Proportioning valve. thanks for and info.
Pat Boytis
Old 10-24-2001, 03:07 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: rear brake prob

Originally posted by is5150
here is the problem;

my wife has a 1999 nissam maxima and it has 45000 miles on it. the car runs great, but last week she had the squealing comming from the brakes. i took the car to pep boys(my trusted friends work there) and was informed the right rear was metal to metal and the left rear rotor needed replacement. and the front brakes were in perfect condition. i had pep boys replace brakes and rotors. i am not a novice to car repair, so my question is, has any one had a simular prob? i am thinking this might be a prob with the Proportioning valve. thanks for and info.
Pat Boytis
I only have 40K on my car...about 30K on the Stillen brake pads in back... I just checked a couple of months ago and I still have about 60% or more... I think your wife's car is going thru the rear pads quite fast (even OEM pads). Keep a close watch on it... look at the pad material every 10K when you take of the rear wheels.
Old 10-24-2001, 04:26 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

here is the problem;

and was informed the right rear was metal to metal and the left rear rotor needed replacement.

i had pep boys replace brakes and rotors. i am not a novice to car repair, so my question is, has any one had a simular prob? i am thinking this might be a prob with the Proportioning valve. thanks for and info.
Pat Boytis
i changed my back brakes at 90,000 .. yes thats correct and they were stock. the were almost completly gone. one thing that may have happened is that your rotors were warped in the rear.if so pep boys took care of that. chunger said it best check them when you rotate the tires. good luck
Old 10-24-2001, 06:06 PM

That's pretty low miles for the rear brakes to last. You might want to check to see if your emergency brake cables are too tight or are sticking. Another possiblity is that your wife has a tendancy to drive off with the brake still engaged.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:52 PM

here is the problem;

Pat Boytis
I have a simular but a much worse problem,When i got out my 1995 Maxima, i heard a loud pulsing beep noise, i was scared at first i didnt know what the hell to do, i didnt have my cell phone on me. . and it was coming from the back. . and it was in the tire. A loud beeping noise was coming from the brakes. I got scared so i shot down to the Nissan dealer and they looked at it and put on the lift, but they didnt know what the hell it was. They want me to bring it back. Does anyone know what the hell it is, or has had this problem? Is it my ABS? OR do i need brakes or what!
Old 10-24-2001, 06:57 PM

here is the problem;

Pat Boytis

Maybe someone has been doing too many handbrake spins in your car.
Old 10-24-2001, 10:26 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Re: rear brake prob

Originally posted by maxperformance

... loud pulsing beep noise ...
Beep?

Is frequency of 'beeps' relate to speed of car?
Old 10-24-2001, 10:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That is not bad, my rear brakes only lasted 20,000 miles on my 99 GXE and I work at Pep Boys so I got the Ceramic Quiet Stop pads from Raybestos and put them on...They are quiet and do not dust a fraction of what the staockers did.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:12 AM

Rears shot? Strange.... I have to agree with everyone else.... fix that handbrake problem. My max has 114k and the rears are fine. I did the fronts at 92k, and that was only done because the rotors warped and wiped out the pads.