4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

can't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:01 PM

can't start

k i've read lots of other threads of people with similar problems... but i didnt want to ruin anyone elses thread.

I replaced the starter about 5-6 mnths ago.

recently as it started getting cold, the rad leaked, i replaced it, all the hoses leaked, i replaced them all and now its back to the starter.

for atleast a week i was having a hard time starting, it would crank but it wouldn't start, it'd sound similar to as if you crank when the vehicle is already running. after a few tries the car would eventually start. i was getting a code for Crank Position Sensor (ROE) 0407.
3 days ago i came back from work parked the car 10 mins later tried to turn it back on and i can't even get it to crank ne more. (this happened a week b4 too but the vehicle started when i tried after leaving it for an hour).

The starter won't even turn, checked the fuses n all, i can hear a click i believe the starter relay every time i turn the key trying to start but the starter won't turn. i've tried hammering it n all too...

as far as i can think i beleive that if it was the CPS 0407 causing a problem, the starter would still turn and the vehicle would try to start but it wouldn't. in my case the starter doesn't even turn.

i've tried hammering it... i also took a piece of wire and attached the + end of the solenoid to the - end and i see a spark but no action. the starter doesn't turn.

luckily i'm on a hill and have a 5 speed. i can roll the car down and hope it'll start. but if it doesn't than i'll have a hell of a time pushing it back up :-(

i'm pretty sure that its the starter... keeping in mind the CPS sensor code is also there... if i roll the car down the hill, do u think the vehicle will start? or will a bad cps not even let car start on a roll....

i haven't checked for spark, n have no idea what the plugs look like at the moment, but i dont think thats where the problem is. the sparkplugs were replaced app 2 months ago with some good ngk's and the old sparkplugs were in pretty good shape when i took em out for replacement. if it was a spark problem i beleive the obd would clearly give a code like cylinder misfire or something...
Old 12-12-2007, 01:16 PM
The self-oil changing max

check to make sure your engine didn't seize. I don't think it would be an ignition problem if your starter isn't turning. Maybe take the starter off and check to make sure the bendix gear (the gear that engages on the engine) is not stuck out, if it does, your engine would have overspeeded the starter and it could have possibly exploded in the case, which would explain it not turning. But definately make sure your engine did not seize.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:27 PM

umm....change the CPS dude.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:05 PM

I remember being one of those people that started the typical 'hard to start threads' back in 2001. I had quite a few run-ins with the dealer... but that's another story.

I'm on my 3rd starter as of 2 weeks ago.

Not sure if the starter might be your problem, but I also started having long cranks a few weeks ago until one morning (about -15'C outside) the starter would not turn at all... not even a click... nothing.

Bought a replacement... installed it in the middle of a blizzard... and all is OK once more... or until this one craps out again!!

PG
Old 12-12-2007, 04:49 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=543790

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=338918

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=545127

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=544748

first thing you always check in that condition is power to the trigger wire for the starter. Starter is under the intake between the TB and the filter.
If you have power, the starter has a bad ground, or the starter is toast.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 12-12-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:42 PM

Like Tuner said, first search the forums for this topic. I had this same issue and I grounded the starter, worked for a while until I had to replace the starter. So, replace the CPS, then ground the starter, then replace the starter(if previously said repairs do not work). Should cost you no more then $200 and a few hours under the hood.