4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

KYB AGX and GC Coils UPDATED

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 07:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

KYB AGX and GC Coils UPDATED

Hi. Ok, so I actually drove the car for a while this morning and here goes:

1. Yes, the ride is a little bouncier then i'd like, but it is SOOOOO much better then stock!

2. The ride is on the harsh side (I feel every bump). I am sure this can be "tunned", but I am happy the way it is. If you have ever been in a Vette, especially 80's and early 90's, its a similar ride.

3. I can corner like its on rails! YES! I was flying around turns today with no problems.

4. I have no experience with other Coils (Cattman, Weapon R), but for the money, $400, these are not bad. I didn't want to spend $1400 on Cattmans (They are actually more like $1800, but I figure $400 of that is the Shocks/Struts) and Weapon R's I have heard nothing but problems. I wanted to be able to raise/lower the car at will, and was not willing to go to airbags and not spending $1400 on Coils.

5. To adjust the KYB's, you need a small screw driver (Included) for the front ones, and just your hand for the rears. If it is not lowered, to adjust your setup would be 1 or 2 minutes. If it is lowered, the rear is hard to get to and you must jack it up, or have paper thin hands (Which I don't).

I will be at the N.E. Woodbury meet if anyone wants a ride.

Erik
Old 10-25-2001, 10:13 AM

Re: KYB AGX and GC Coils UPDATED

Originally posted by tifosiv122
Hi. Ok, so I actually drove the car for a while this morning and here goes:

1. Yes, the ride is a little bouncier then i'd like, but it is SOOOOO much better then stock!

2. The ride is on the harsh side (I feel every bump). I am sure this can be "tunned", but I am happy the way it is. If you have ever been in a Vette, especially 80's and early 90's, its a similar ride.

3. I can corner like its on rails! YES! I was flying around turns today with no problems.

4. I have no experience with other Coils (Cattman, Weapon R), but for the money, $400, these are not bad. I didn't want to spend $1400 on Cattmans (They are actually more like $1800, but I figure $400 of that is the Shocks/Struts) and Weapon R's I have heard nothing but problems. I wanted to be able to raise/lower the car at will, and was not willing to go to airbags and not spending $1400 on Coils.

5. To adjust the KYB's, you need a small screw driver (Included) for the front ones, and just your hand for the rears. If it is not lowered, to adjust your setup would be 1 or 2 minutes. If it is lowered, the rear is hard to get to and you must jack it up, or have paper thin hands (Which I don't).

I will be at the N.E. Woodbury meet if anyone wants a ride.

Erik
What spring rates did you get? Or did you get the default or whatever Ground Control suggested? Did you order directly from Ground Control or through a distributor? If you ordered from GC directly, did they help you with the spring rates and such? thanks.
Old 10-25-2001, 12:12 PM

How low do you have it dropped?
Old 10-25-2001, 01:36 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

thanks for the info. i was curious how to adjust them
Old 10-25-2001, 02:33 PM

Re: Re: KYB AGX and GC Coils UPDATED

Originally posted by Gotrice4

What spring rates did you get? Or did you get the default or whatever Ground Control suggested? Did you order directly from Ground Control or through a distributor? If you ordered from GC directly, did they help you with the spring rates and such? thanks.
I don't know what spring rate I have, I didn't know there was a choice, but I will find out Friday. I got them from my local Tunning shop in NJ. They had a set left over and gave me a great price.
Old 10-25-2001, 06:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: KYB AGX and GC Coils UPDATED

Originally posted by tifosiv122

I don't know what spring rate I have, I didn't know there was a choice, but I will find out Friday. I got them from my local Tunning shop in NJ. They had a set left over and gave me a great price.
You have choices of spring lengths and spring rates in 50 lbs/inch increments...do you remember what numbers were on the springs?
Old 10-25-2001, 07:53 PM

well....i have the Weapon R*s.....and let me tell you.....everything you have heard about them is untrue...i just wanted to set the record straight....cuz before i bought them...everyone told me not to get them and that they were crap...yet none of these people owned them....so i figured what the heck..ill try them out....and they are awesome....a little bouncy...but not bad....its on the harsh side...but i blame alot of that cuz i have 18" wheels...but other than that.....no problems......
Old 10-25-2001, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by pawn
well....i have the Weapon R*s.....and let me tell you.....everything you have heard about them is untrue...i just wanted to set the record straight....cuz before i bought them...everyone told me not to get them and that they were crap...yet none of these people owned them....so i figured what the heck..ill try them out....and they are awesome....a little bouncy...but not bad....its on the harsh side...but i blame alot of that cuz i have 18" wheels...but other than that.....no problems......
They are prob. very similar to mine. Enjoy them.

Erik
Old 10-25-2001, 08:01 PM

I want to play with my suspension eventually. Man I see all these dropped Max's and wish mine was done.

SuDZ
Old 10-25-2001, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ
I want to play with my suspension eventually. Man I see all these dropped Max's and wish mine was done.

SuDZ
I waited 1 1/2 years to drop my car, they kept telling me about these damn KYB's. It feels good to get something after waiting sooo long.

Erik
Old 10-25-2001, 08:11 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

i know what you mean... here i am saving up my $$ for them Ground Controls...