4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Damage to Transmission Housing

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 10:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Damage to Transmission Housing

Hi:

I ran over a large metal object in my 1999 Maxima last night. The object stuck to the bottom of the car and dragged on for 70-80 ft till I stopped the car by braking gently.

Fluids (oily, not gasoline) leaked from the bottom. Both air bags also deployed. State Police came and will give me an accident report.

The repair shop where we towed the car to says that the transmission housing is damaged and will need to replace the transmission.

Any suggestions on where to get the housing and the airbags fixed (body shop, mechanic shop, dealer, ...)?

Also, while my insurance will pay for the damage, can I ask the highway authority to pay because they did not remove the object (which looks like this was a part that fell off a truck) from the road? Anyone with experience dealing with NJ TurnPike Authority?

Thanks,
Old 10-25-2001, 10:42 AM

Re: Damage to Transmission Housing

Originally posted by ssubhash
Hi:

I ran over a large metal object in my 1999 Maxima last night. The object stuck to the bottom of the car and dragged on for 70-80 ft till I stopped the car by braking gently.

Fluids (oily, not gasoline) leaked from the bottom. Both air bags also deployed. State Police came and will give me an accident report.

The repair shop where we towed the car to says that the transmission housing is damaged and will need to replace the transmission.

Any suggestions on where to get the housing and the airbags fixed (body shop, mechanic shop, dealer, ...)?

Also, while my insurance will pay for the damage, can I ask the highway authority to pay because they did not remove the object (which looks like this was a part that fell off a truck) from the road? Anyone with experience dealing with NJ TurnPike Authority?

Thanks,
you gotta sue nj turnpike my friend did the same thing same situation and he got a settlement of $25k
Old 10-25-2001, 10:54 AM
RPalka

NJ

Thats funny......

I use to live in Jersey but I just moved recently to FL. About 3 years ago a long plank of wood, on the tunpike (near exit 16) spit up and hit my sisters car. It ruined her axle. The insurance company paid for it all and ins. co. sued NJDOT.

Call your insurance company and tell them what happened. If you have NJ Manufactures they are very understanding about things like this.

Good Luck