4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Shift Knob Removal...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 11:23 AM

Shift **** Removal...

Any tips on how to get it off without tearing up the threads on the leather? Both my buddy and I have both tried to untwist the stock **** off and it just won't budge. We even tried putting a towel over it and using big pliers, but it seems that when you get that much leverage, the pliers, even with the towel in place, just wants to rip the threads off the ****. It won't budge. Any help on how you got it off or how it can be broken off would be great. Thanks.

-V

btw, the car is a 1997 5sp and the shifer **** has never been off.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:27 AM
Administrator

turn that baby real hard to the left..

if not.. hit the weight room

the dealer took mine off to do my STS.. so they left it kinda loose so i can pull mine off.. but you just need to turn it.. it will come off
Old 10-25-2001, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
turn that baby real hard to the left..

if not.. hit the weight room

the dealer took mine off to do my STS.. so they left it kinda loose so i can pull mine off.. but you just need to turn it.. it will come off
I guess I better do the latter and hit the weight room.

I can get the **** on and off my Miata fine. But the Max is like FROZEN on there. It doesn't budge. Even with two guys trying to turn it with large pliers with a towel over it. There no other locking screws or anything right? Does the car come from the factory with LocTite or anything like similar that I'm working against and don't know about? Thanks for the reply though... now I know what to do

-V
Old 10-25-2001, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by vmok

I guess I better do the latter and hit the weight room.

I can get the **** on and off my Miata fine. But the Max is like FROZEN on there. It doesn't budge. Even with two guys trying to turn it with large pliers with a towel over it. There no other locking screws or anything right? Does the car come from the factory with LocTite or anything like similar that I'm working against and don't know about? Thanks for the reply though... now I know what to do

-V
I was actually suprised because mine came off without to much work. Basicly while I was driving I wondered how it came off and with a good grip popped it right off. If you really cant do it grab a wrench with a big enough head on it to fit around there and take it off using the leverage.

SuDZ
Old 10-25-2001, 01:22 PM

try standing on both seats while straddling the shifter, then grab it with both hands and pull up hard, but remember to keep ypur sunroof open.
Old 10-25-2001, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu
try standing on both seats while straddling the shifter, then grab it with both hands and pull up hard, but remember to keep ypur sunroof open.
And make sure nobody is watching if you do it that way. Unless you like the stares.

SuDZ
Old 10-25-2001, 01:46 PM
MDr

Re: Shift **** Removal...

btw, the car is a 1997 5sp and the shifer **** has never been off.
SEARS strap wrench is the tool for the occasion.
Old 10-25-2001, 01:49 PM
madmax26

same exact problem
mine didnt screw off either, what i did was use those lil dremel circular saw things and had to cut it right across the middle then rip each side off, it has threads, but then i looked and the stock was double sided taped to the threads which made no sense, it was a hassle and it makes a big mess, so i got a nice momo **** that pops on and u just screw in allen wrench screws, its cool, but i cut the lever under the threads a couple days ago, so i suggest gettin a **** that doesnt screw on, the momo does just fine

Old 10-25-2001, 03:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is there anything that can be damaged when your put a lot of force on the shift **** trying to get it off?
Old 10-25-2001, 04:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Anachronism
Is there anything that can be damaged when your put a lot of force on the shift **** trying to get it off?
I'm assuming you mean down below. Nah, the shifter rod and linkage hardware is pretty strong and can easily resist rotational forces around the shifter rod.

The **** appears to be held in by both the threads AND some glue. I used a vise plier thingy with some cloth wrapped around the lower part of the ****. I definitely couldn't muscle it loose by my bare hands.
Old 10-25-2001, 08:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had the same problem getting mine off. The problem is that there is glue holding it in place and I don't care how strong you are, you won't get it off. Both my cousin and I tried together and we couldn't get it off. Get a strap wrench, you can use a towel if you want, but the leather still got messed up with the towel. Once you get the strap wrench in place twist it and you'll hear a pop (the glue breaking) and then it will unscrew after that. Don't worry, none of the internals get messed up in the process.
Old 10-26-2001, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by JUDE
I had the same problem getting mine off. The problem is that there is glue holding it in place and I don't care how strong you are, you won't get it off. Both my cousin and I tried together and we couldn't get it off. Get a strap wrench, you can use a towel if you want, but the leather still got messed up with the towel. Once you get the strap wrench in place twist it and you'll hear a pop (the glue breaking) and then it will unscrew after that. Don't worry, none of the internals get messed up in the process.
When you say strap wrench, are you referring to the oil filter strap wrenches? That's a very interesting idea... I think I"ll try it...

-V
Old 10-26-2001, 01:13 AM

well what i did was i used a hand towel and a vice grip (that sucker was on there pretty good) and just twisted it until i got it going then it was all good after that.
Old 10-26-2001, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by norton2099
well what i did was i used a hand towel and a vice grip (that sucker was on there pretty good) and just twisted it until i got it going then it was all good after that.
I tried by hand, my friend tried by hand, then we put on a towel with channel lock pliers around it. It looked like it was actually pulling the leather skin off the leather as well as almost causing the threads to split at the seems. The **** didn't budge. I'll try the strap thing tomorrow as it's late and I"m tired now . I think you're right though, as soon as it starts, it will be easy going.

Can't believe this is the show stopper for a short shift kit install!

-V
Old 10-26-2001, 01:45 AM

I tried by hand, my friend tried by hand, then we put on a towel with channel lock pliers around it. It looked like it was actually pulling the leather skin off the leather as well as almost causing the threads to split at the seems. The **** didn't budge. I'll try the strap thing tomorrow as it's late and I"m tired now . I think you're right though, as soon as it starts, it will be easy going.

Can't believe this is the show stopper for a short shift kit install!

-V
Haha gooshi gooshi.
Old 10-26-2001, 04:46 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

i have a gxe with the non leather shift ****. i had to take a razor and shave the **** down to the threads then wrench it with pilers. ranks up there as one of the hardest things i ever done to my max.
Old 10-26-2001, 05:33 AM
smithdl4

Yu guys might try heating the glue with a hair dryer/heat gun. May take awhile but sure beats the gorilla tactics you are using now. Kinda aim the dryer from the floor up to get the heat to the glue inside the ****.