immobilizer problem - Maxima Forums



4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

immobilizer problem

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: cincinnati, oh
Posts: 1,088
immobilizer problem

Hey guys my 99' recently broke down, tested everything possible and couldnt find out what was wrong with it. I took it to nissan and they told me the ecu and wiring harness are fried and it will be $4100 to fix...uhh no thanks cya. anyways im buying a new harness and ecu but they came out of a 98, will that trigger the immobilizer? Has anyone put a 95' - 98' harness and ecu in their 99's before ? Im pulling the motor out anyways because im dropping a vq35 in as soon i get my clutch for christmas tomorow ! Thanks guys and happy holidays !
rome06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
Super Moderator
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 9,116
Did they try reprogramming the immobilizer/ECU?
nismology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: cincinnati, oh
Posts: 1,088
i have no idea this was 2 weeks ago, im sure they did, i dont see how they can tell me my ecu and harness are fried without checking the immobilizer, but im not worried about it anymore, i have a 98' ecu and harness and my main concern is will it work on my 99' with all that immobilizer bull**** that they put on the 99s, like i said im dropping a vq35 in it next week so i also want more options with ecu's and tuning and everything
rome06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 444
i have no idea if it will work but it sounds like it will. Only question i ask, hopefully someone else can answer it is that on the 99's i heard you have to bypass the immobilizer system or some crap like that because the fuel and injection system are hooked together, I have no idea if this is something that they built into the ecu or if its wired up separately and if so you might have to mess around with that before putting the 98 ecu and harness is.
adriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
Super Moderator
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 9,116
I think they're taking you for a ride. Ask them to prove to you that they tried to reprogram the immobilizer info. They're supposed to give the customer a printout from the Consult II as proof whenever they use it to diagnose or fix a problem.
nismology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: cincinnati, oh
Posts: 1,088
okay well im not worried about if they lied to me or not because the motor is coming out anyways in a few days for a vq35, my question is if i use a 98' wiring harness and a 98' ecu on my 99', will it work? Or do i have to do something to bypass the immobilizer? thanks in advance
rome06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
Senior Member
iTrader: (35)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I-75 4th_Laud
Posts: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismology View Post
I think they're taking you for a ride. Ask them to prove to you that they tried to reprogram the immobilizer info. They're supposed to give the customer a printout from the Consult II as proof whenever they use it to diagnose or fix a problem.
agreez
Snypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: cincinnati, oh
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snypa View Post
agreez
yeah im sure nissan lied too but thats not the point i could care less about that, can you use a 98' wiring harness and a 98' ecu in a 99' without any problems? Is there any rewiring you have to do because of the immobilizer?
rome06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:52 PM   #9
Senior Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 5,716
The dealer F-tards told me the same ish, I just ended up selling the car.
99grnmaxgxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:14 AM   #10
Willing to learn
iTrader: (8)
 
oldngivout's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by rome06 View Post
okay well im not worried about if they lied to me or not because the motor is coming out anyways in a few days for a vq35, my question is if i use a 98' wiring harness and a 98' ecu on my 99', will it work? Or do i have to do something to bypass the immobilizer? thanks in advance
You can swap in the 98 harness & ECU, that will fix the problem. Big job though. We are talking engine room and main cabin harness. No one has presented a method to otherwise bypass the immobilizer to my knowledge. AND, if you are going to swap them out anyway, I would use a 95 set up. This will be much friendlier with the VQ3.5. Otherwise, the 98 ECU will be searching for a bunch of emission equipment that you probably won't swap over anyhow.
oldngivout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:28 AM   #11
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 444
so using 95 ecu and harness would fix the problem? when he went to fire the car up it would fire right up? or would it trigure the immobilizer and have to be towed to Nissan to get it reprogrammed? Or would you just not hook up the immobilizer because i heard its just a little black box? basically what I'm asking is after he installed the whatever year harness and ecu from 95-98 what would be the next step if there is one so that the car starts with no problems?
adriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:17 PM   #12
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: cincinnati, oh
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldngivout View Post
You can swap in the 98 harness & ECU, that will fix the problem. Big job though. We are talking engine room and main cabin harness. No one has presented a method to otherwise bypass the immobilizer to my knowledge. AND, if you are going to swap them out anyway, I would use a 95 set up. This will be much friendlier with the VQ3.5. Otherwise, the 98 ECU will be searching for a bunch of emission equipment that you probably won't swap over anyhow.
yes i agree it is a big job, but it makes it a little easier that the motor is going to be out of the car so alot more room to work with. So on top of replacing the harness that goes to the ecu, theres another cabin harness that would have to be replaced as well?
rome06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #13
MaXXiN
iTrader: (3)
 
MaXiM@KiD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 276
well my cousin broke off a key had 2 from the dealer and put the broken one im not sure if it was on top of the box or something like that...so that he could put the auto start on his car...maybe the same method can be used here if you CAN'T bypass the immobilizer
MaXiM@KiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #14
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: cincinnati, oh
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
well my cousin broke off a key had 2 from the dealer and put the broken one im not sure if it was on top of the box or something like that...so that he could put the auto start on his car...maybe the same method can be used here if you CAN'T bypass the immobilizer
huh?
rome06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #15
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: cincinnati, oh
Posts: 1,088
bump
rome06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:36 PM   #16
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 375
you will lock up the theft computer the 99s ecu are hooked up to the fuel system ive tried this be fore what will happen the injectors wont fire or crank sensor (pos) , the theft computer have its own program which is linked to work with the 99 ecu once you lock the theft computer they have to reprogram all the computers withthe nissan consult thats the only way to unlock your system to start the car so just get a 99 ecu
96sleepergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:00 AM   #17
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: cincinnati, oh
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96sleepergle View Post
you will lock up the theft computer the 99s ecu are hooked up to the fuel system ive tried this be fore what will happen the injectors wont fire or crank sensor (pos) , the theft computer have its own program which is linked to work with the 99 ecu once you lock the theft computer they have to reprogram all the computers withthe nissan consult thats the only way to unlock your system to start the car so just get a 99 ecu
nice man thanks for the information, say i did get a 95-98 ecu and the theft computer locks up and everything, would nissan be able to unlock it and make it work?
rome06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:47 PM   #18
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 375
99 only 98s didnt come with the chipped key why take the chance look for a 99 ecu call it a day take short cuts nissan will own you like me cost me 400 dollars because my ecu locked up and they couldnt get the code it had erased from the computer they did every thing in front of me so i knew they werent bs, they had to replay the ignition where there are electronic antennas that picks up the key signal plus 2 new keys and door lock there are plenty of 99 ecus out there just keep looking
96sleepergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fuk 301 it's 410 Bal Md black/purple.
Posts: 1,589
Yea, man there is no easy way out of this one, you are going to have to find a 99 ecu . The 99 ecu's and the immoblizers are linked up together meaning if the immobilizer trips up then the ecu is signaled that there is something wrong then shutsdown everything. If there is a problem that you have then when your going to pull up some codes the 99 are a bit different then the 95-98 models.
vqmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:55 PM   #20
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: cincinnati, oh
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96sleepergle View Post
99 only 98s didnt come with the chipped key why take the chance look for a 99 ecu call it a day take short cuts nissan will own you like me cost me 400 dollars because my ecu locked up and they couldnt get the code it had erased from the computer they did every thing in front of me so i knew they werent bs, they had to replay the ignition where there are electronic antennas that picks up the key signal plus 2 new keys and door lock there are plenty of 99 ecus out there just keep looking

alright so ill get another 99' ecu, as far as the harness goes i can get any year 95-99 correct?
rome06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:56 PM   #21
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 444
what are all the signals of the immobilizer getting triggered? isnt it no signal from the ecu to the injectors the fuel or the cranks correct? and the security light comes on while cranking? because nissan told me my ecu and harness was fried. They told me they put my ecu in another ecu and it didnt fire up but it wouldnt because it would have to be programed to that cars key and immobilizer system correct? i want to make 100 percent sure before i go buying new ecus and harnesses. and is there a code for the immobilzer because they told me they didnt see a code for the immobilizer and i was under the impresion that there was no code it just locks.
adriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #22
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 444
im sorry my ecu in another running car another 99' and they said it didnt fire up...but it wouldnt cause my ecu is still locked up from my car...and when you change ecus in 99s they have to be reprogramed and they didnt tell me they reprogrammed anything.
adriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:55 PM   #23
Banned
iTrader: (56)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,073
I have a '99 ECU from an AUTO. PM me if you need it.
goldtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #24
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: cincinnati, oh
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldtooth View Post
I have a '99 ECU from an AUTO. PM me if you need it.

the car is a 5spd, so does it still work or not? I know on some cars an auto ecu will work on a 5spd car
rome06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:25 AM   #25
Banned
iTrader: (56)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,073
I have no clue, but I know what you're talking about.
goldtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Growling under load hcarter1112 5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) 37 06-29-2016 06:46 PM
1989 Nissan Maxima Brakes stuck on HerpDerp1919 3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) 2 09-29-2015 02:02 PM
Dimmer Switch Doesn't Work? gavin68 5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) 4 09-28-2015 06:03 PM
2000 Maxima P1336 code zmcneely13 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) 1 09-26-2015 02:26 PM
Moisture in Headlight Noela 5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) 5 09-26-2015 08:22 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:48 AM.