4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Trans gear oil loss - 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Whatchyou say?

Trans gear oil loss - 5spd

Hey ... first off - Merry Christmas to all!

Ok ... so I just got back from Chicago (about a 530 mile trip) and while I was on the way home I started to hear my tranny gears whine a bit if I built up any sort of revs. Much louder in second and third than any others. I think this may be due to realllly low gear oil. I am pulling the trans on my nights off this week to do a bearing and seal kit over the weekend. My question is this tho ... any chance I may have hurt the gears by running it with low gear oil? Also, is there anything else that may cause that sound?

Bean reading a lot of post's from around this time last year as far as trany R&R so I don't think it'll be too bad. As for the seal and bearing kit ...we'll see and I'll keep ya posted.

Cheers!
Old 12-26-2007, 02:50 AM
Maintenance Monster

First, with insufficient oil you will accelerate gear wear. The whining is probably from damaged bearings though, which you'll be replacing. You'll know if the gears had trouble based on if they've turned blue like a gun barrel - this indicates they overheated.

Dave
Old 12-26-2007, 03:08 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by JtzMax
Hey ... first off - Merry Christmas to all!

Ok ... so I just got back from Chicago (about a 530 mile trip) and while I was on the way home I started to hear my tranny gears whine a bit if I built up any sort of revs. Much louder in second and third than any others. I think this may be due to realllly low gear oil. I am pulling the trans on my nights off this week to do a bearing and seal kit over the weekend. My question is this tho ... any chance I may have hurt the gears by running it with low gear oil? Also, is there anything else that may cause that sound?

Bean reading a lot of post's from around this time last year as far as trany R&R so I don't think it'll be too bad. As for the seal and bearing kit ...we'll see and I'll keep ya posted.

Cheers!
RS6F51H anecdotal story here - We were hearing crazy whining from the trans, as well as a noise that sounded like a failed ISB. Pulled the trans apart and got a little surprise, below. Also included a nice little pic of both mainshaft and input shaft, because they're fun to look at.

Last edited by pmohr; 01-10-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:40 AM
Whatchyou say?

guess we'll see how bad it is when I get it torn apart this weekend. Thanks mates~!~
Old 12-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Maintenance Monster

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the possibility of a chipped gear tooth. <duh>

Anyway, you won't know until it comes apart.

Dave
Old 12-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
First, with insufficient oil you will accelerate gear wear. The whining is probably from damaged bearings though, which you'll be replacing. You'll know if the gears had trouble based on if they've turned blue like a gun barrel - this indicates they overheated.

Dave
Dave ... what if I do find the bluish colour to the shafts / gears? Or ... if I find a chipped tooth, then what would you sugest? Thanks mate!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 12-26-2007, 11:17 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by JtzMax
Dave ... what if I do find the bluish colour to the shafts / gears? Or ... if I find a chipped tooth, then what would you sugest? Thanks mate!

Cheers!
Jim
Chipped tooth, replace the part. Fun thing with Merlyn's trans is that he broke a tooth on the one gear that isn't replaceable on the input shaft...so $190 later, we have the only RS6F51H input shaft in the US.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:44 AM
SLOW

The gears won't necessarily be blue if they are worn and overheated but they will likely be discolored in some way - they could be blue, black, gray, etc depending on how bad the oil is, etc. Close inspection of the gear faces will quickly reveal if the gears are worn or not - if the face of the gear looks "weird" it's probably worn. Post some close up pics if you want.

I took apart a trans the other day that some retard forgot to put gear oil in - virtually every part in the trans was smoked. Sucks to be that guy.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Whatchyou say?

Thanks Nealoc ... I'll take some pix as soon as I get it out and see what it looks like. I realllllllly hope it's ok. It doesn't always "whine" but, I hear it often enough - I'll put it that way. I would like to get my g/f to help me out in taking pics as I do the rebuild and I'll post them on my PhotoBucket site. I think it would just be another resource to the ones that are already out there.

Got my clutch, GL-4, and bearing / seal kit ordered .... should be here by Monday at the latest. Fun fun ....
Old 12-26-2007, 07:50 PM

show pictures when taken apart if you dont mind.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Whatchyou say?

Update .... I am ready to pull the tranny out now. It only took me forever to get going on the job. The 1/2 shafts weren't too bad, I thought they'd be worse to be honest. As for the passangers side (left) I just took down the whole support ... tried to seperate it, but didn't wanna break it - so I left it in one peice. I am having a bit of trouble reaching the rear mount ... but Dgessman told me "use a 30" extension via the wheel well" - THANKS DAVE!!!! I will drop it and crack it after work tomorrow hopefully. I need to get it done and to the shop so they can press the bearings out and in for me. I can't / don't wanna do that ... or cut them out - way messy and it's worth it to me to let a shop do it and I'll give them some $$$ - what does anyone think this should cost anyway? I am hoping not much ... maybe $35 or $50 maybe?!?

I'll keep everyone interested up to date as things happen. My g/f is gonna take a bunch of pix for me when I tear into the trans. I'll post as they become available.

Cheers!
Old 12-31-2007, 04:43 PM

ok
Old 12-31-2007, 09:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

X-member removal not needed, take out the battery tray & unbolt the 4-mounts from the trans (you will need to completely remove the single bolt to get all 4 out) & the trans will drop out. Much easier imho, and no jack under oilpan needed.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:05 PM
Whatchyou say?

^^^^ ... now ya tell me! LOL Actually it's not really too late, I was sick today and couldn't work on it so ... the trans is still in the car atm. I was PMing with Dgeesman (Dave) and he told me that it can be done with the CM in ... but it's really tight. I see how there could be enough room, but ... it's really hard to get to the bottom trans bolts (between the Y pipe and CM). I'll give it another look when I can (when I am better).

Thanks all~!~