4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Looking to become part of the family!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:35 AM

Looking to become part of the family!!!

Ok, so at the moment im carless. However, in the near future i plan to change this...ill be buying for myself (a college freshman) so it wont be anything too expensive(5000 or LESS)...And the 4th gen max seems to be right down my alley...Really interested in a 98 or 99 SE!!!

Anyway, i also like the idea of "rowing my own gears"!!! Soooo, my main question is: Would this be a good car for someone who has novice (at best) skill on "the stick?" I do it sometimes and ALWAYS in my friend's 01 altima!!!

Others im considering:

1st Gen TL but cant have V6+Man.
2nd Gen Legend Hard to find in good cond w/ Man
5.0 Gen Max its gonna have high miles if I can afford it
Old 12-28-2007, 01:23 AM

The manual has more problems than the auto so I would stay with the auto. The manual sometimes leaks oil. In my opinion the manual bell housing sucks. The synchros suck so if you are not experienced with a stick shift you will probably **** one of them up. Changing the clutch is hard work. A stick is fast but useless unless the transmission is a VLSD. I for one I am sick of wheel spin and wheel hop.

Unless you know how to work around cars a stick shift is not for you.

Stay away from 99s. The 99 ignition key itself sucks. The immobilizer in 99s sucks. It just sucks. Get a 97 or 98 Max.

Better yet. Do yourself a favor and get a RWD Fox body Mustang or a used Camaro. A usec Camero with leather and a 6 speed can be had for around 7k.

The 6 speed Camaro or Trans Am idles at around 2k RPM on the highway so it gets the same mileage as a Maxima believe it or not. The Camaro can be heavily modded btw.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834452 that's one I would of bought 4 months ago if it was a stick.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797858 That also.

One I should have owned.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834294

Last edited by Qbridg3; 12-28-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:11 AM

What?!?! Why are you telling the guy to get a crappy domestic Mustang or Camaro? It all depends what he is looking for. A RWD gas hog 2-door coupe or a moderate-gas using 4-door sedan with decent performance.

And I seriously doubt a 5.7L V8 gets 27-28mpg on the highway. Also, he said he's looking to spend $5000 or less, not $7K.

Just keep your eye out for a 97-98 Maxima. You can find them in your price range in good shape. But the manuals are known to have issues with the diff bearings in the trannys so make sure you have it checked out before you buy it.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:33 AM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by Qbridg3
The manual has more problems than the auto so I would stay with the auto. The manual sometimes leaks oil. In my opinion the manual bell housing sucks. The synchros suck so if you are not experienced with a stick shift you will probably **** one of them up. Changing the clutch is hard work. A stick is fast but useless unless the transmission is a VLSD. I for one I am sick of wheel spin and wheel hop.

Stay away from 99s. The 99 ignition key itself sucks. The immobilizer in 99s sucks. It just sucks. Get a 97 or 98 Max.

Better yet. Do yourself a favor and get a RWD Fox body Mustang or a used Camaro. A usec Camero with leather and a 6 speed can be had for around 7k.

The 6 speed Camaro or Trans Am idles at around 2k RPM on the highway so it gets the same mileage as a Maxima believe it or not. The Camaro can be heavily modded btw.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834452 that's one I would of bought 4 months ago if it was a stick.

One I should have owned.

+1 on the 97,98 over 99.
+1 on the auto over manual. requires less maintenance.

you should be able to find a maxima with low 100s for around or under 4k. and "high mileage" as you said, shouldnt worry you because if you baby these things they will last well into the 200s.

-1 on the american ****ball cars
Old 12-28-2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by sicivic89
What?!?! Why are you telling the guy to get a crappy domestic Mustang or Camaro? It all depends what he is looking for. A RWD gas hog 2-door coupe or a moderate-gas using 4-door sedan with decent performance.

And I seriously doubt a 5.7L V8 gets 27-28mpg on the highway. Also, he said he's looking to spend $5000 or less, not $7K..
If u dont know what ur talking about than just dont talk.. Camaros are reliable and mod 10000x better than the maxima.. and yea on the highway the ls1 gets about 26 miles a gallon...
Old 12-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Upper Midwest Wheel Whore

If you're a college student then ask yourself how much driving are you going to do?
If it's mostly highway then go with a car that gets great mileage in that. If it's mostly city, then get a car that is more practical. Anything 4 cylinder with a manual will be more practical for a college student. If you're still bent on getting a Max then check for the diff bearing is fine, and stay clear of 99.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:50 AM

+1 For auto over manual...in these cars.

If it's RWD...I want my stick.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:55 AM

Who gives a flying F about fox body's and LS1's?? It is completely irrelevant to what he is asking.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by ROCKART
-1 on the american ****ball cars

Newer American cars may be lacking in quality, but for a college student on a budget, nothing beats the repair cost of fixing an American car. However, on the other hand, better than cheap repair costs is no repair costs at all like with a Honda or Nissan.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
If u dont know what ur talking about than just dont talk.. Camaros are reliable and mod 10000x better than the maxima.. and yea on the highway the ls1 gets about 26 miles a gallon...
I stand corrected about the mpg and I know a LS1 mods a bagillion times better than a 3.0L V6, but we are talkin about two different beasts here. The guy was talkin about a good car for college for $5k or less, not some 12 sec 1/4 mile car! And the guy didn't mention anything about modding it.

You can run the maximas into the ground. There are many many cases with maximas with 250K miles no problem. I seriouly doubt camaros can do that.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

To the OP,

Read the stickies at the top of this forum and read up between the differences between the years and trim levels. You might just realize that you have to have a 99 contrary to what the haters say. (example: the color Lakeshore Blue, the best color of the Max IMO was only offered in 99)

The immobilizer feature on the 99's may hurt you, but at the same time it provides a little extra security that your Maxima won't get stolen. On my 99, I've never had any issues with the immobilizer function. You'll only hear from the people that have problems with the immobilizer feature, but you'll never hear from the people with 99's that don't have the problem, will ya? Of course not. There's are way more people with 99's that have no immobilizer issues than people that do.

You'll be fine driving a Maxima 5spd as you've already got the hang of it on your friends Altima.

Maintenance/repair between auto/stick is the same.

Obviously those with Auto prefer Auto (and there's more of them too) and those with 5spd's prefer 5spd's. Then there's the Auto guys that wish they were 5spd. Virtually no one with a 5spd wishes they had an Auto. See where I'm going with this?

Don't let us influence you. Then again, 99 SE FTMFW Seriously though, you need to choose for yourself. Go with your gut feeling.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:33 AM

^^^^agreed^^^^
Old 12-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Addicted to the Org

Originally Posted by Qbridg3

One I should have owned.
Are you serious? You would have been better off telling him that you personally don't feel that he should get a maxima and go buy something else. He asked about maximas, and wants to join us, why would you discourage him? Better yet, why are YOU on here for then????????
Old 12-28-2007, 09:53 AM

I for one don't judge a car if it's an import or a domestic.

I look at facts and to me the Camaro is bettter than a Maxima and I am a Maxima owner who can accept that my car is not better than a Camaro in many ways. In some ways a Camaro is not better but overall... it is. It's what I would buy.
Originally Posted by maximized98
Better yet, why are YOU on here for then????????
The reason I brought up the Camaro and Fox body is because it is around the same price and an option to the OP.

Last edited by Qbridg3; 12-28-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:54 AM

i had immobilizer issues last night. LOL

me and a friend popped started it and i was driving it while the alarm was going off. so weak though my alternator died..

I have a '99. I mean, I would reccomend it. However I think I would buy a 98 before a 99. But there always is something ghey that will go wrong on your car.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:59 AM

imports i think r better than domestics (car wise) most domestics mite be fast and mean looking interior is such garbage tho. For a college student an import is covinent, good gas mileage for the most part.

I had a 99 GXE auto. That car had less problems than my 99 5spd. I learned to drive 5spd pretty much on this car, i knew how to was never good at it till i got this max. I think the max is an easy car to learn on, its hard to stall these cars. So in general to the original poster, if u want a max make sure u check it out really good. Make sure NO SIGNS OF LEAKS are on the manual trans wat so ever. couz like ppl said they r nt the best trans in the world made.

Last edited by MaxFanatik; 12-28-2007 at 10:00 AM. Reason: misspeleld
Old 12-28-2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
To the OP,

Read the stickies at the top of this forum and read up between the differences between the years and trim levels. You might just realize that you have to have a 99 contrary to what the haters say. (example: the color Lakeshore Blue, the best color of the Max IMO was only offered in 99)

The immobilizer feature on the 99's may hurt you, but at the same time it provides a little extra security that your Maxima won't get stolen. On my 99, I've never had any issues with the immobilizer function. You'll only hear from the people that have problems with the immobilizer feature, but you'll never hear from the people with 99's that don't have the problem, will ya? Of course not. There's are way more people with 99's that have no immobilizer issues than people that do.

You'll be fine driving a Maxima 5spd as you've already got the hang of it on your friends Altima.

Obviously those with Auto prefer Auto (and there's more of them too) and those with 5spd's prefer 5spd's. Then there's the Auto guys that wish they were 5spd. Virtually no one with a 5spd wishes they had an Auto. See where I'm going with this?

Don't let us influence you. Then again, 99 SE FTMFW Seriously though, you need to choose for yourself. Go with your gut feeling.

Go with what you will have the most fun in. Also, having just graduated college, don't bring a nice car to college. Kids just ruin it. I have had my tires slashed, my car keyed, and my window smashed in, and eventually my car totaled by other kids in college who don't give a crap. So find something fun and inexpensive and don't **** people off like I did .

Maybe the 4th gen is right for you maybe it isn't. Maybe you would have more fun in a 3rd gen? Maybe you might have more fun with some of the other cars on your list. All I can say for certain is that with any Maxima, you have the opportunity to join a rich and extensive community with a very impressive knowledge base on everything Maxima and sometimes a little more.

Also, head over to True Delta. I participate in Michael's program and it has a lot of good information to help you in your decision for a car. Good Luck.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
To the OP,

I completely agree.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:59 AM

Wow guys...i really appreciate all the help you guys are providing...On the camaro/fox body thing, i dont know what type of insurance those have tho i feel safe saying that i am certain that a LS1 is WAY higher than a Max(and im tryna get dad to put me on his insurance)...Still thanks for the sugg.

Thanks for the new knowledge on the trannie...Im sure the synchros and such cant be much worse than the ones on that Altima (i stalled a total of 8 times on my first drive in it)..lol...And i will be SURE to thoroughly check a car b4 i buy it

rxm6:Where did u got to college???

Last edited by icuminpeace07; 12-28-2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-28-2007, 11:07 AM

Oh and the car is gonna mostly be for a weekly visit to Walmart(+/- 5min) and going home (+/- 3hr, depending on how i feel)
Old 12-28-2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by icuminpeace07
Oh and the car is gonna mostly be for a weekly visit to Walmart(+/- 5min) and going home (+/- 3hr, depending on how i feel)
what's going on at wal-mart?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ouzo99max
what's going on at wal-mart?
thats where food comes from and where i like to randomly visit
Old 12-28-2007, 12:30 PM

Lets see a f**kin camero last over 200 thousand miles without breaking down everywhere you go. Maxima's last way longer than camero's and mustangs.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:33 PM

you need to relax cuz u dont know what ur talking about buddy.. lt1's/ls1's go for well over 200k miles.. please dont open ur mouth when u dont know anything
Old 12-28-2007, 12:40 PM

I just read post 20 about 10 times.............Thread is mind numbing. Am I the only one not getting it????

Last edited by 97SMG; 12-28-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:50 PM

\
Originally Posted by 97SMG
I just read post 20 about 10 times.............Mind numbing. Am I the only one not getting it????
lol..what do u not get...im gettin a car so i can eat and go home w/o calling someone else...and then there is the daily joyride!!!!LOL
Old 12-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Upper Midwest Wheel Whore

\

lol..what do u not get...im gettin a car so i can eat and go home w/o calling someone else...and then there is the daily joyride!!!!LOL

He's not talking about you. he's referring to the others suggesting cars like a Camaro or a Mustang to a Freshman in college. Most of the time these kids are either broke or on a budget. It was 1 of the reasons I left it open with 4 cylinder car might be better to get around in. i didn't mention any particular car.

Little do they think that the car is very unpractical at that time in life in insurance, gasoline, and other potential maintenance.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:17 PM

o ok..thats what i say to myself as well...PLUS my parents prob wont go for that
(a Camaro)...the ONLY thing goig against the max is the needfor premium fuel...
Old 12-28-2007, 01:18 PM
wants an I35

well you dont really "need" it. but it helps.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:27 PM

from one college student to another...if you want a max get one, if you want a 5spd, get one. my very first car was a 95 gxe 5spd and i learned stick on it. i loved the car until the day it was totalled. i enjoyed the max so much that i then bought a 96 SE 5spd. if you keep the car maintained it shouldnt give you any big problems, unless you buy a car with problems already existing.

ignore all that camaro bullsh*t. in college you are going to want to haul friends, pick up kegs from the liquor store, go on road trips, and a camaro is not for doing that. unless you have no friends and you like looking like a tard drag racing from stoplight to stoplight.

IMO any year 4th gen is good, they all have their own perks and problems but definately try to get a SE fully loaded. you may not think you need the coldweather package or security and convenience package at first but it all definately makes the car much nicer.and for 5000 you should have no problem doing that. just remember tho, if you do get a max, try to make sure you save around 700 for new struts and springs to lower it so your car doesnt look like a 4x4.

Last edited by black_maxed95; 12-28-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:32 PM

and for premium fuel, you dont have to use it but 87 octane will retard your timing and cause a check engine light (no big deal if you dont mind losing some horse power). imo premium fuel isnt that big a deal...its +20 cents/gallon...x16 gallons...=only an extra $3.20 per fill up. as a college student you probably only fill up once a month like me.

oh ya...maxes arent that bad on insurance either as i would know with plenty of speeding tickets. most likely a camaro would rape you there too

Last edited by black_maxed95; 12-28-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by black_maxed95
ignore all that camaro bullsh*t. in college you are going to want to haul friends, pick up kegs from the liquor store, go on road trips, and a camaro is not for doing that.
and beside that...i doubt a camaro could hold all the lugguge that a pretty-boy like me has... Me and a friend had troulble fitting our stuff in his 6 Hatch with back seats down so i know a Camaro wont handle it and I have first hand exp with the Stang(Step mom has one)and the cargo space i USELESS...this is not to knock any suggestions that ppl have made!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 02:14 PM

A college I didn't want to go to, but my parents "urged" me to go to because its a big name college.

BTW: I say what I say for this reason: I've been working since I was 15 and I didn't get my first car until I was 18. The reason was that I wanted something really nice...and fast. So I waited and saved and my parents promised for my 18th birthday that if I paid the down payment on a car they would make the payments. A generous offer right? So what did I do? I saved and scrimped and put every last penny I had towards the down payment on an used black on black S60R 5-spd (with the body kit). So...for the 6 months I had that car I was the happiest poor kid around. And what happens? Some **** wipes out my car with his f-ing cheap *** Corolla!!!!! So pretty much after that I was heartbroken and really poor until the insurance money came through. Then after that I decided I wasn't going to have a nice car until I had a garage to keep it in and I was very far away from kids and their corolla's. So, I sit and I wait and incidentally fell in love with my I30 along the way.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think he should get a 4wd crew cab Duramax. All the trunk space he needs!
Old 12-28-2007, 04:11 PM

I'm in a very similar boat, but I'm pretty much sold on the Maxima as the most bang for the buck.

-Evan
Old 12-28-2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ahheck01
I'm in a very similar boat, but I'm pretty much sold on the Maxima as the most bang for the buck.

-Evan
yea man, the Max is just sooooo appealing to me...the only reason i consider a TL is cuz my older sis is gettin a new car soon and i may be able to buy or JUST STEAL her's...lol

But i doubt it would please me in the same way...PLUS there are only two pedals, ftl
Old 12-29-2007, 10:44 AM

What is the incidence of the differential bearing problem with a 97/98 5-speed Maxima?

I thought the problem was more specific to a 95/96.

If the risk of developing the problem is minimal, I would look for a loaded 97/98 SE, 5-speed.

I am the original owner of a 95SE, 5-speed LSD, and I haven't replaced any bearings.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:04 AM

Dude my car is for sale and its right up your ally...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=549248
Old 12-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow guys...i really appreciate all the help you guys are providing...On the camaro/fox body thing, i dont know what type of insurance those have tho i feel safe saying that i am certain that a LS1 is WAY higher than a Max(and im tryna get dad to put me on his insurance)...Still thanks for the sugg.

Thanks for the new knowledge on the trannie...Im sure the synchros and such cant be much worse than the ones on that Altima (i stalled a total of 8 times on my first drive in it)..lol...And i will be SURE to thoroughly check a car b4 i buy it

Honestly - i would take a manual over an auto in a maxima.

Its not fun to drive an auto imo.

Dont worry about stalling in your friend's car or not having experience.

I bought a stick car with only about 1.5 hours of experience driving stick.
I died out about 8 times on the way home haha.

You will get used to it, quite quickly in fact, if you buy your own stick car.

I havent had any problems while ive had my 5 speed max.

So in my opinion - if you want a manual, get one. You will regret it in the future. If you dont care, then get an auto.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:03 PM

No doubt that a Camaro will be more expensive on insurance especially if you have an extensive driving record like me. It doesn't have the trunk space neither.

As a dependable people carrier the Maxima does great. It is a family sedan after all.

But later when you might to get into modding and performance and going faster the Maxima lacks in those places so IF you will get into that it's better to start off with something performance oriented so that you're not limited by the choice you made on the car like I am now.

Quick Reply: Looking to become part of the family!!!