4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The last straw

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:28 AM
The self-oil changing max

The last straw

Here is the deal, I have had a massive oil leak on my rear timing chain cover for years now. It is a pain in the ****, I have to add about a quart every week or so! I don't have the money to fix it, because it was quoted as a $2500 job.
Recently I decided to pull the engine and try and fix it myself. At that time, I had no idea where it was coming from because of the layers of filth and maintenance records lost over time. I had heard timing chain covers on the max leak sometimes, but the amount of work would be too much time and too much to learn in the time I had. So, I noticed a lot of oil puddling around the oil pan flange and resealed that and both valve covers (I know, a lot of work to pull the engine and just do that, but it was a great learning experience). I thought I might have fixed it when I put it together, but after recently getting the car up and running, it still leaks!
So, on the last straw, I have to figure out what I should do and just want some advice from someone experienced please. Should I sell the car, take a loss and get another vehicle, live with it, try and drop a used engine in, or something else? Any positive feedback is appreciated.

-Matt
Old 01-01-2008, 01:01 PM

I can almost garuntee you its the inner timing cover. Usually its just an o-ring thats gone bye bye. To re-seal the inner timing cover, its easier just do drop the engine, to do it in the car you gotta take off the pass side motor mount, pull the outer cover, timing chain, tensioners, guides, gears, etc, then pull off the inner, now heres the fun part, try get the inner and outer cover back on without smearing the RTV sealant lol. Not much room to play with. I gotta do my inner cover its starting to leak a bit.

Usually the inner timing cover when it leaks, often gets confused with oil pan leaks, usually the upper pan, but in most cases it is not, its the inner timing cover.

Its a pretty damn involved process and unless you have good mechanical skills i wouldnt attempt it. Seeing as you've taken out the engine, i cant see it being much problem for you. Just make sure label everything and that the chain/gears etc all go back int he proper oreintation.

Personally id probably just buy a used motor, the 3.0's can be had for fairly cheap nowadays. I plan on doing that, my 3.0 has 315,000kms, and im boosting it, i figure ill get as much out of this engine as i can before i put a new one in!

If you get a motor from the wreckors, make sure it hasnt been sitting for ages, if it has dont even bother using the injectors on it. It seems that nissan injectors dont like to sit around for too long, so if you get a motor from the wreckors use your upper intake manifold and injectors and stuff, easy to do if the motor is out, still pretty easy even if the engine is in, i did my MEVI re/re and valve cover gaskets in about 3 hours and ive never done the mevi before lol.

Last edited by 96blkonblkse; 01-01-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:58 PM
The self-oil changing max

Thanks for the advice, I looked out my door and under my car is a recreation of the exxon valdiz oil spill. I think cleaning it up before I put it back in made it worse. I don't really have the time anymore to pull the engine again (17 hour days...) so I am going to check out trade in values (bohica). I would really hate to get rid of the car, it runs great is in good condition and I have put a lot of time and effort into it.