4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Any tricks to remove timing chain cover?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 02:08 AM

Any tricks to remove timing chain cover?

before peeps flame, my brother and i did search, and all that came up were to remove the covers for the chain tensioner and water pump.

My dad was replacing the water pump on his 95 SE. Got both tensioner and water pump covers off. While working on the tensioner, he dropped a part inside the cover.

So now we are removing the timing chain cover. We got all the bolts off, and have pried the top part of the cover, but the bottom is a pita to pry off.

My dad is currently driving my IS300, so any help to get him back in HIS car is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:49 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

hit up vipervadim on nycmaximas.org he knows alot bout dat buddy
Old 01-09-2008, 04:51 AM

make sure all the screws are out, with a half decent amont of force it should pop off, make sure you didnt miss a screw or you'll just end up cracking the case.

check the side of the timing case, and dont forget there are two bolts in the oil pan that hold the timing case in place. then find angles where you can wedge something in and pry, try many different angles at different spots to get it free. you should feel it giving.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Maxnine
So now we are removing the timing chain cover. We got all the bolts off, and have pried the top part of the cover, but the bottom is a pita to pry off.
There're some screws behind PS pulley. If you are dropping TC cover, I'd replace chain guide with the tensioner. 95 maximas have old style tensioner and to replace it, you also need to replace chain guide.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah my vote goes for the two 12mm bolts that run vertically, the are underneath the lower oil pan, but this is a total repost as MDeezy covered this.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the heads up for the 2 bolts in the oil pan. I don't think we took those off, and I don't think Chilton book mentioned it.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:15 PM

get the fsm, it is a must to have when doing this kind of work. Chilton and Haynes are helpful but the more info the better.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:44 PM

yea the lower oil pan most come off same with the crank pulley make sure you pry CAREFULLY!!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:13 PM
KH3 5spd

Thanks for the help. We got it out last night with the oil pan dropped and there where 2 bolts not mention in the FSM.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bumping this thread. So far we have not been able to remove the cover, but we have removed everything we can. The clip keeping the alternator on wasn't mentioned in the guide, but it had to be removed to get to the cover (but, it FIRST required removing the bolts from the AC compressor and THEN the Alternator bolts).

This is proving to be a bear of a project JUST to replace the water pump!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Beorn
Bumping this thread. So far we have not been able to remove the cover, but we have removed everything we can. The clip keeping the alternator on wasn't mentioned in the guide, but it had to be removed to get to the cover (but, it FIRST required removing the bolts from the AC compressor and THEN the Alternator bolts).

This is proving to be a bear of a project JUST to replace the water pump!
to remove the outter case, remove all the bolts on the timing case, plus those inside the the oil pan, thats it. Then use a flat head and start to pry into the case. Use a hammer to help and you should see it parting pretty quickly. If you feel resistance you missed a bolt somewhere, track it down.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The number of additional crap to get that timing chain cover off is just friggin' sick!

Once all the bolts were off, AND the bolts coming up through the oil pan, AND the clip holding the alternator on (which, by extension, meant removing the air conditioner unit), we STILL had to remove a bolt at the power steering assembly from the backside of the engine.

In the process, I broke a plastic timing chain guide (black, upper right side of engine if looking at it through the passenger side quarterpanel) and will need to replace that before getting all this back on.

On the good side, the cover is in good shape and once I take a pick and brush to it, should seal again just fine.

I am looking for the single plastic guide now. All my online searches are thus far proving futile.

All this for a plunger!
Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Maxnine
before peeps flame, my brother and i did search, and all that came up were to remove the covers for the chain tensioner and water pump.
If you want to search the forum with even more power to avoid repeating questions try the following search string in google:

site:forums.maxima.org [search phrase]

for example if you want to find stuff about the timing chain cover try:

site:forums.maxima.org timing chain cover

This will return the most relevant threads on the forums.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Beorn
The number of additional crap to get that timing chain cover off is just friggin' sick!

Once all the bolts were off, AND the bolts coming up through the oil pan, AND the clip holding the alternator on (which, by extension, meant removing the air conditioner unit), we STILL had to remove a bolt at the power steering assembly from the backside of the engine.

In the process, I broke a plastic timing chain guide (black, upper right side of engine if looking at it through the passenger side quarterpanel) and will need to replace that before getting all this back on.

On the good side, the cover is in good shape and once I take a pick and brush to it, should seal again just fine.

I am looking for the single plastic guide now. All my online searches are thus far proving futile.

All this for a plunger!
I'm guessing you dont have a copy of your FSM? If you need it I can email the section you need to you. You can also use this http://forums.nycmaximas.org/showthread.php?t=19270. If you have to sign up to veiw it do it. It will save you alot of headaches.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I do not have a copy of my FSM, however I got everything on and now, as I pour water into the radiator, water is still leaking badly. I think I need to replace the whole water pump and not just the seals... Damn.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:57 PM

I could probably get one for you if you need one.