4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

brakes question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

brakes question.

brakes are down to about 10-15%. think its time to change. ive got 180k on stock rotors but dont sense any warping or vibration during braking. u guys think it should be aiight to just get them re-surfaced and use them again?

ive seen some ok looking rotors on ebay. anyone use those and are they any good? any recomendations. im kinda over the modding, just want to get oem quality/safe replacement for as little money as possible.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Max Noob
brakes are down to about 10-15%. think its time to change. ive got 180k on stock rotors but dont sense any warping or vibration during braking. u guys think it should be aiight to just get them re-surfaced and use them again?

ive seen some ok looking rotors on ebay. anyone use those and are they any good? any recomendations. im kinda over the modding, just want to get oem quality/safe replacement for as little money as possible.

Whoa!!! 180K on stock rotors.......Uhm yeah, I would definitely change those and no don't try to get them resurfaced.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 AM
wants an I35

brembo blanks in the group deals section. i think they were 35 bux each.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:08 AM

sweet thanks rockart. didnt know about the group deal.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:00 PM

I just bought rear brembo blanks, but I bought mine from the actual website link given in the group deal and I'm pretty sure I saved money on the rotors as well as shipping!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:31 PM

looks liek one of the sellers is socal local and i can pickup and save on shipping. does a zinc coating do anything on rotors. wont the brakes burn thru that in a few days?? kinda an unnecessary premium to pay?

my buddy just told me that solid rotors are all basically the same. shouldnt really matter if they are brembo or not and told me he can find a set of new rotors for like 25 bucks. has anyone actually had a problem with cheaper rotors failing early?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:38 PM
wants an I35

more tendancy to warp. i dont have that much experience tho. i had a set of autozone generics that lasted fine. those were 15 each.....

i figured for an additional 80 dollars id go top of the line blanks.

and yea all zinc does is stop rusting. and no it doesnt wear off.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:47 PM

cheap rotors warp easily. but more so, they groove easily. especially when you have some good pads.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Max Noob

i first changed the oem brake pads at 145k miles, the rotors were fine and i had them resurfaced. no problems, brakes worked perfectly... it depends how much they are used, if you press the brakes with extreme force and use them more than necessary then of course they will be worn and beyond salvage, but if you barely use the brakes and only apply lightly then they will last much longer and have more potential for reuse.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Theres a new max in town

i say save ur self the trouble get some newer ones man its worth it in the long run any ways
Old 03-31-2008, 01:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought my nissan a few months ago. I am about to be doing a brake job on it as soon as i get the time/money. It has been doing the whole vibrating thing when the brake is applied, i thought it had to have been warped rotors and everyone i've talked to says the same. After reading what ya'll have written, i dont think i'm the only one with this problem. Anyways, the auto dealer told me earlier that he would pay to have them turned, but since i dont know the current condition of the brakes and looking at the miles it has on it, i figured it would probably be best to just replace or upgrade them.

What do you suggest doing (just turn them, replace the pads, replace the rotors, both, other stuff, etc)? If so, it seems everyone is saying brembo blanks is the way to go. Any other suggestions, or just stick to them?

I have to appologize too, brakes are one thing i don't really know jack about.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:34 PM

generally, alot of enthusists like to change the rotors at the same time as doing a pad job. brembo blanks are good but as long as you drive normally and dont brake very hard all the time and dont ride the brakes all the time, any rotor should suit you fine.

my buddy found some rotors for me cause he knows a bunch of wholesalers and they work great. they are some no name brand. People will say that brembo blanks are more resistant to warping which is probably true. as long as you dont put your rotors in a position to warp (extended periods of relative high heat, consistent hard braking, quick changes in temps)

one thing i dont liek about cheaper rotors is there is no protective paint on the cap/bolting part so they get an ugly brown rusted color after just a few weeks.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:38 PM
wants an I35

my brembos got that rust cover also in about 3 days....
Old 04-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm all stock and don't break hard so i dont forsee them going through any harsh conditions, however, i dont want the doo-doo rust looking rotors.

I took the car up to the shop today and am about to pick it up. The dealer promised to "fix" the brakes, which he obviously wants to get away with simply turning the rotors and doing as little as possible to "fix" them. My roommate (who worked in the parts dept of the local nissan dealership) told me, though, that there is some law that states that when selling a car or fixing the brakes (something like that) that if the rotors are worn down beyond a certain point that it was unlawful to simply turn them and be done with it. I dont know if it is a TN thing or if what i'm hearing is a bunch of bull, but basically when i pick up the car i am going to see what they did, and then check the specs out on the rotors and pads to see if they are up to par.

I was just wanting to know what route i should take when i decide to do this on my own either in the near future or down the road. Thanks for answering my questions though Max Noob. Any suggestions as to what other rotors are out there that arent top of the line, but wont rust over?
Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 PM
wants an I35

you can get brembo blanks that have that zinc coating that prevents rust. but then they look gold and lame....so its up to you.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:16 PM

i really dont know. ive seen some with the caps/bolt part painted a dull black. that should probably help. u can stop some of the rust if you use a full size oem spec pad. My bads a about half an inch smaller than stock, so i have about a half inch of rusted circle on my rotors.

if you good with a spray paint can, you can try using some high temp paint, cover the rotor surface and painthe bolt/cap part. Just make sure hte rotor surface is cleaned off real nice before you mount them. if i did that might try a light sanding to make sure the surface is free of paint.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:19 PM

hihg quality rotors whose pads did now eat them up are good for maybe 1 resurface. any more than that and id think you are jeapardizing safety.

i probably wont resurface my rotors next pad change. i can feel some spots n the rotors have have a little more wear b/c of the semi metallic pads eating them up.

if your an 03, your rear rotors are probably still good to use. they dont do too much work.

Last edited by Max Noob; 04-04-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:41 PM

i bought brembo blanks in sep'07 from tirerack for $32 each .. last week the mechanic determined that the rotors are gone !!! i have been feeling the vibrations while braking from high speeds on highways, so i took it to the shop to see if the rotors are warping and if they can be resurfaced ... he showed me that the thickness of the rotors fell below the state limits, so they can't be resurfaced Only the front ones are gone .. rear are fine ... i bought raybestos quietstop brake pads along with brembo blanks ...

i hate to buy new rotors again but we need proper brakes right ?

does anyone know how much warranty do those brembo blanks come with ?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:17 PM

Im pretty sure its a 1 year warranty. I just got my brembo blanks with hawks last month
Old 05-18-2008, 10:01 PM

Where are the group deals?
Thanks.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:48 PM

Centric Premium rotors with E-coating. These rotors are awesome, they don't rust!

RockAuto.com sells them. You can find a coupon code for 5% off your entire purchase.

Also look into Napa premium rotors. They come with a lifetime replacement warranty from Napa.