4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Strut Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:32 PM

Strut Question

I just installed my new struts. Finally
Upon reinstall, I didn't have that flimsy rubber-like piece that fits in between the upper strut mount and the car, so I just used some gasket maker instead. Now the passenger side strut has a knocking sound and it's starting to really get on my nerves. Is it because I don't have that rubber-like isolator thing or what?
-As far as I know, the piston (center) nut is tightened all the way.

Also, I get a squeaky sound from the back struts also, can it be because the center-nuts aren't tightened all the way? I was trying to tighten them but the rubber keeps giving way and I didn't want to damage the rubber bushings, should I keep tightening them? I read after I searched and peeps said that you're supposed to just tighten them down until they bottom-out. Is that true? Others say that you just tighten until about half inch between the top of the nut and the end of the piston. I have about a good inch at least and they still squeak. Any suggestion? Would lithium grease help or something?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:19 AM

Hi There:

The paper "gasket" doesn't do too much and if you used a gasket material it should be fine. My biggest question is did you reuse you front strut bearings? If so, depending on the mileage they had on them before the install, they are probably worn and will knock like crazy on every bump until you get it fixed.

If you used new bearings, then check your front stabilzer bushings and endlinks. 9 times out of 10, they are worn and will cause the struts to clunk around.

I haven't tackled my rears at all since they seem to be fine with no sounds or leaks, so someone else will have to chime in on that issue.

Good luck!!
Old 02-01-2008, 02:16 PM

thanks man, I used new gray plastic KYB strut bearings, I'll check the stabilizer bushings though.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:24 PM

If you mean what I think you mean, then "that flimsy rubber-like piece" is pretty useless
Old 02-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

If you took the spring out of the upper perch, did you clock it correctly when you reinstalled it? The word OUT is stamped on the upper perch and needs to be in line with the struts lower mounting flange, facing outwards twards the fender. If thats not set up correctly your springs will make noises.

EDIT: If you have Tokicos, just tighten the rears down until you run out of thread. Then put the locking nut on top. Make sure the bushings are centered in the small hole in the rear mounts.

Last edited by njmaxseltd; 02-01-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
If you took the spring out of the upper perch, did you clock it correctly when you reinstalled it? The word OUT is stamped on the upper perch and needs to be in line with the struts lower mounting flange, facing outwards twards the fender. If thats not set up correctly your springs will make noises.

EDIT: If you have Tokicos, just tighten the rears down until you run out of thread. Then put the locking nut on top. Make sure the bushings are centered in the small hole in the rear mounts.
Are the upper perches universal? Like can each be used for either Left/Right struts?
Old 02-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Good question, I believe so.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:57 PM

Anyone know what the torque ft-lbs for the center nuts on the fronts are? I put 50 ft-lbs, is this too little?
Also, on my rear struts, the center nuts are COMPLETELY tight, and the bushings are about 1 inch under the nuts! I mean, there is nothing between the bottom of the center nuts and the top of the bushings except an inch or so of the piston/shaft, is this supposed to be like that?
Nevermind, It's supposed to 59-88 ft-lbs. Sorry.

Last edited by Maximeltman; 02-02-2008 at 01:07 PM.