4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

VQ35DE

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:25 AM

VQ35DE

hey, i have been looken for a motor for my swap...and i found one...i just have a quick question... i looked to see if i could find and answer....
but do i need the 5spd version or the auto motor? i dont think it makes a difference from what i have read...i have a 5spead 97 maxima..and the motor im looken at came outof a 2006 auto max...
will that work? or do i need to look for a specific..also i am tryen to locate the 5spead from a newer max...will this make a difference in what i should look for....from what i have read i dont think so... can some one please just verify...ive been very busy at work..thanks!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:10 AM

It doesnt matter if its AT or MT. Since you already have the 5 speed I think you can go with a 2000-2001 oem clutch. I don't think the 4th gen clutch would hold the power of the torque on a 3.5 for very long especially if its a clutch that has been on that car since it left the factory. Correct me anyone if I am wrong.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:27 AM

This is something you should already know if your even thinking of going with a 3.5. It doesn't make a difference if its auto or manual
Old 02-08-2008, 01:13 PM

yeah thanks 97smg...were did people go retarded...i asked a simple question...i know if i searched 1000's of threads i could have come up with the answer...i have read just about every thread regarding this swap...and know the main logistics of the swap...i just wanted to double check my memory before i spend 1000 dollars on getting a motor drop shipped to my house...yes that includes the motor.. I have been super busy at work the past few weeks...and have had a friend find me a motor.. just wanted to get a quick answer...as far as i knew it was the same...and it didnt matter...but i just wanted to be safe....
I have done sevral engine swaps from toyotas to Grand national motors...and other toyota motors.. i am very well cababale of doing it...why does every one gotta get smart...just doesnt make sense.....
Old 02-08-2008, 07:09 PM

LOL you go Boiiiii haha
Old 02-08-2008, 10:17 PM

well if you want to be that way
spead= speed
if youve done so many motor swaps you should know you can use any motor regardless of orig trans used on it. What i think you need to do is go into the all motor section and read all the 3.5 stickys in there to get a good knowlage base going before you atempt this. Cause if you looked or knew the 02+ manuals were 6 speed not 5.
Also imo you should really take some time find a good 3.5 locally (should be at least one good in lasvegas area) get a truck and pick it up instead so you only pay maybe half of that price.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by joosdawg
well if you want to be that way
spead= speed
if youve done so many motor swaps you should know you can use any motor regardless of orig trans used on it. What i think you need to do is go into the all motor section and read all the 3.5 stickys in there to get a good knowlage base going before you atempt this. Cause if you looked or knew the 02+ manuals were 6 speed not 5.
Also imo you should really take some time find a good 3.5 locally (should be at least one good in lasvegas area) get a truck and pick it up instead so you only pay maybe half of that price.
hey thanks for the input.... my buddy is a manager for a body shop...and hes doing all the leg work for me and i totally trust him.. i can get the vins for each car and check them at my local dealer...and car fax.....
(edit) joosdawg, im not tryen to be a jerk off..i really do appriecate the concern..
i have acutally thought about the 6spd for a swap in my car the one that comes from the Aniversery SE maxima...so i did know that there was one...and i have read all the stickeys...
Old 02-09-2008, 09:23 AM

I went on car-part.com and my 3.5 for 650 shipped with 33,000 miles and a car fax report. It was out of a rearended 02 maxima and it turned out fine. Mine came off of an auto and my 5 speed bolted right up so you will be fine will that.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:20 PM

seeee....wage...thank you..thats what type of help this board needs more of...lol
Old 02-09-2008, 01:44 PM

Just a side note the "AE" maximas were an LSD 5 speed not 6. Why do u have so much conflicting information? Why are you doing the swap in the first place? According to what i see here i really think you should lurk around a bit more before doing this because your thoughts and info on this really seem limited at least in the maxima world. Facts or no facts if something goes wrong youll be pretty screwed without the research first. This is just an honest reply to what i see here not trying to start anything but your facts are all switched up..
Old 02-09-2008, 10:28 PM

thank you shorty...i know i need to lurk more..hell i dont even know how to change or adjust the TPS senser......but it doesnt mean i cant figure it out...and when the time comes ill figure it out.. and to be honest like i said before i know the logistics of the swap...and when i come to that i will.. i know i need to take the timing of the vq and put the 3.0 timing assembly..i also know that i need to buy an extra part from some dude off here..there probally is even a way around it...i appriecete every bodys input...and i dont remember everything that i read on this board...the first time i read it......but if i dont know and if i have that much time i will sit down and read everything...that i need to...and im sure ill need some questions answered later... reading some of thease threads are crazy cause soo many people hijack questions and such...so before u know it ur more confused then when u started... but i do my best...and in the end its just a motor...if i blow it up..ill get a nother one...lolol
Old 02-09-2008, 10:32 PM

good to hear. Like they always say the best way to learn is by trying it/doing it. If it doesnt work out this site is your gigantic knowlage base that you should be able to find almost any answer in. If not, post up and help will be a person away