4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Time to modify

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 09:35 PM
Jeff97GXE

Time to modify

I am new to the racing scene, and it is time to modify my 97 GXE Maxima. A friend of mine is very mechanically inclined and has offered to help me with everything. He has told me to do the following:

1. Swap to a stick shift (with locking LSD)
2. Get a catback exhaust, and a stright pipe
3. Turbo the sucker
4. Lower the car, and do some various suspension work
5. Do valvetrain work, raise the redline, cams, etc etc

We need to know
1. Will the Nissan 300ZX turbo manifolds fit the VQ engine from the 95-up Maxima?
2. Does the ECU respond to boost well, or will "Go around" efforts be required? (Stillen S/C people, did you have to do any ECU work?)
3. Does anybody know where to get performance valvetrain stuff for the Maxima?
4. Can you send us any links that could help us in the effort of turboing the car, swapping the transmission (a vfaq would be very helpful)
5. How much HP are the stock pistons capable of? Injectors? Do 300ZX injectors fit?

ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED, AND I THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!

If we do end up pulling off a decent turbo kit, we'll fill everyone in on the details, and document it THOROUGHLY!!!!!! (make a good VFAQ)

Thanks
Jeff

Old 10-28-2001, 10:51 PM

Re: Time to modify

Originally posted by Jeff97GXE
I am new to the racing scene, ....... document it THOROUGHLY!!!!!! (make a good VFAQ)

Thanks
Jeff
Its good to see somebody new who isn't asking stupid questions. Even though I can't answer any of your questions, there will be someone here that will. Although I think the 300ZX used the VG engine, so the manifolds may not fit.
Old 10-29-2001, 12:15 AM

Re: Time to modify

Originally posted by Jeff97GXE
I am new to the racing scene, and it is time to modify my 97 GXE Maxima. A friend of mine is very mechanically inclined and has offered to help me with everything. He has told me to do the following:

1. Swap to a stick shift (with locking LSD)
2. Get a catback exhaust, and a stright pipe
3. Turbo the sucker
4. Lower the car, and do some various suspension work
5. Do valvetrain work, raise the redline, cams, etc etc

We need to know
1. Will the Nissan 300ZX turbo manifolds fit the VQ engine from the 95-up Maxima?
2. Does the ECU respond to boost well, or will "Go around" efforts be required? (Stillen S/C people, did you have to do any ECU work?)
3. Does anybody know where to get performance valvetrain stuff for the Maxima?
4. Can you send us any links that could help us in the effort of turboing the car, swapping the transmission (a vfaq would be very helpful)
5. How much HP are the stock pistons capable of? Injectors? Do 300ZX injectors fit?

ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED, AND I THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!

If we do end up pulling off a decent turbo kit, we'll fill everyone in on the details, and document it THOROUGHLY!!!!!! (make a good VFAQ)

Thanks
Jeff
well good luck finding a turbo since they dont make turbo for maxima unless u custom make it.
turbo95 has turbo and unclemax currently making a turbo.
also u asked about engine swap, unless u have a good mechanic or u have the skilz capable of doing this, u will find it very hard. think twice before u do those things. why dont u just get dry kit nos, 50 shots first, if u like it get more. or just a s/c , more people here knows more about s/c than engine swap or making a turbo.

"turbo that sucker" hmm...

have fun modding. hope i helped
Old 10-29-2001, 04:59 AM

Tranny swap

There is a fairly detailed page for converting an auto to a 5 speed at http://www.stormpages.com/autoto5spd/. Good luck with your modding.