4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Removing the door Bumper Strips

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:01 AM
wants an I35

Removing the door Bumper Strips

has anyone ever done this?

once i removed my pinstrip i began to notice how dirty the doors look with them. especially mine too, cuz they are stained various colors.

ill wash the entire car, and it will look white and clean except for these ****ing plastic lines.

how hard is it to do? the same way as debadging?
heat gun + fishing line?

im sure removing all that adhesive will be a huge PITA plus the paint underneath will be a different shade of white becuase of lack of exposure to the elements.

i just think it would look a lot cleaner and smoother if they were removed

my other option would be to paint them black, to go with the 20%s im about to get in a week. the car would have a white/black combo look to it.

post up pics of removed bumper guards if you got em please.

or

photoshop me a pic

thanks

Last edited by ROCKART; 02-21-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Sold

there are holes under that strip that would need to be filled and welded to properly do what you want done.

You can remove those and purchase black ones from a body shop if that's what your thinking. If you do that, your going to need tint and maybe some other black peices to pull it all together. Maybe some black mirrors. But, I'm afraid it'll still look like puke.

It's your car so do what you want.

Last edited by JSMax; 02-21-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:07 AM
wants an I35

wow holes?

guess thats not an option

this is why i posted the thread.

thank you
Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 AM
wants an I35

guess i just gotta spend the 2k for a paintjob......

such a huge waste of money, but she needs it
Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 AM

not only are there holes there is also a "canyon" or a indent strip that is there I have seen a lot of guys with these taken off but it is a lot of work. I would say take them off and paint them if you care that much or if it is just a stain or dirt you would try rubbing them with goof off really hard or some sort of adhesive remover.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:13 AM

I dont see Y you would need to paint your car it looks mint besides a few nicks on the front bumper.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ROCKART

my other option would be to paint them black, to go with the 20%s im about to get in a week. the car would have a white/black combo look to it.
That would look like total crap IMO. Reminds me of base model civics (DX I believe) where the mirrors, bumpers, door guards, door handles are black regardless of paint color......

Just buy some Color Magic and spend some time on them. You'll be surprised how well they'll turn out. I bet a professional detailer could restore them too.

On a side note, whenever I find the right body shop, I'm going to have the door guards removed and the holes filed in, as well as other things and a whole new paintjob.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:26 AM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by hot_wax_tree
I dont see Y you would need to paint your car it looks mint besides a few nicks on the front bumper.
yea you cant see as well in those pics cuz the sun is so blindingly bright, but all 4 corners have been scratched to the point the black plastic from the bumper/fender is showing. then the previous owner decided a $1.99 bottle of WHITEOUT was the best solution, but didnt even do it thoroughly. so now its black gauges that are 60% covered in whiteout. I CANT EVEN GET THE WHITEOUT OFF its been on so long..............fing awesome

plus then the bumpers, which weve covered, have been struck so many times and washed so infrequently that they are stained with dirt plus stripes of blue, red and black (paint from other cars ????, i dunno wtf)

actually the front fender was also like this. all the googone and gooffoff in the world didnt do ****. i ended up using a diluted COMET + WATER solution to finally get it white....yea its scratched, but its clean.....

then my entire rear bumper seems to be a slightly different color of white than the rest of the car. like a "dirtier" shade, even after i wash it fully.
i was considering the comet thing, but scared cuz its a such a large, visible piece.

you can see it in this pic, kind of.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:32 AM

aftermarket paint is . dishing out 2k for a reasonable job, and even then its not a guarantee.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Administrator

I thought you said the car was MINT w/ low miles when you posted up the day you bought it (except for the airbag cover of course)......... Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.

Based on your closeups, you definitely need some new paint on the front and rear bumpers. I don't think a detailer could do anything for that. Sheet metal is good though, right? Repainting the bumpers/door guards won't set you back too much.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:12 AM
keep it metal

+1 for shaved moldings
Old 02-21-2008, 10:21 AM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I thought you said the car was MINT w/ low miles when you posted up the day you bought it (except for the airbag cover of course)......... Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.

Based on your closeups, you definitely need some new paint on the front and rear bumpers. I don't think a detailer could do anything for that. Sheet metal is good though, right? Repainting the bumpers/door guards won't set you back too much.

yea that was me that said mint. it was filthy the day i bought it, and by "mint" i meant no parts were missing
yea the body panels are good, cept for that one shot i posted up there, and thats just a dent that can be popped.

ive read like 30 posts about how pearl white is impossible to match up

you think i could get away with just painting the bumpers? you think it would match up?
Old 02-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Former Vendor

pearl is almost impossible to match (as is aged paint). the best you could hope for was a great blend.

i think you best bet would be a good detailing and then some spot repairs. a complete paint seems overboard considering the level of modification i think you have in mind (could be wrong).
Old 02-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ROCKART
yea that was me that said mint. it was filthy the day i bought it, and by "mint" i meant no parts were missing
yea the body panels are good, cept for that one shot i posted up there, and thats just a dent that can be popped.

ive read like 30 posts about how pearl white is impossible to match up

you think i could get away with just painting the bumpers? you think it would match up?
Most definitely. It's just a question of finding the right shop to do it. Mention that you want it in writing that the pearl will match....or a re-paint will be expected. A good blend is a must too. If they don't squirm and start making excuses, chances are you found your shop. Also, start your search by contacting AAA and see who has excellent ratings in your area.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

There are places that can do the job it may cost you around $300 to get the bumper painted and color match the paint.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:01 AM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by dutch078
+1 for shaved moldings
shaved moldings? is that diff from removing them?

to do be explainicating for the win

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
pearl is almost impossible to match (as is aged paint). the best you could hope for was a great blend.

i think you best bet would be a good detailing and then some spot repairs. a complete paint seems overboard considering the level of modification i think you have in mind (could be wrong).

yea im hesitant about "blending"
ive seen so many **** jobs around here

and its not that im against modding. i dont know where this car will end up.

a) im new to anything car related. im still learning the basics.
i just beat the **** out of my last car (93) and it STILL lasted forever. i dunno if youve read other stuff ive posted, but this is my first time being a "real person" in over 8 years. even paying bills is new to me.....

b) i dont make much money. about $550 a week after tax. so my mods have to be slow and carefully chosen.

c) and i dont really have a definite idea about how i want the car to look in the end. i just do things one at a time and get an idea as i go.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Former Vendor

blending is a good thing, providing its done right. having a bumper painted off the car is a gaurenteed way to have an obvious difference.

i'm not saying your "level of modification" like its a bad thing. some people paint stock cars, so if you think its worth it go for it. i personally wouldn't spend thousands of dollars to return a car to oem condition, not even a classic restoration but i'm a mod guy.