4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

In the middle of 00vi swap, some random questions (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:27 PM

In the middle of 00vi swap, some random questions (pics)

Hey all, i have a few questions...
I am using the 00' throttle body and iacv as seen in this picture...

The plug from the 4th gen iacv doesnt fit in the 5th's, can you just trim the plugs and jam them together? both are six wire plugs..

In the above photo, where the f*ck does this things go? if its not used, then where will the 3 connectors go that arent connected to anything?

Close up of it below:

Whats this below... is it needed anymore

Thanks

Last edited by slow97maxima; 03-05-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:29 PM

I dont see any pics...
Old 03-05-2008, 07:34 PM

Same here. But for the IACV plug, just cut the plastic around it and stick the plug in the opposite way, rotate the plug 180* and it should stick right in.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:00 PM

sorry i updated the pics, sorry again for the size
Old 03-05-2008, 08:01 PM

thanks for that qnzmax
Old 03-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The other part pictures is your evap purge valve, you need that for CEL/emmisions purposes, same deal with the two other plugs next to the 4G IACV, unscrew them from the peice and plug them in/zip tie them, they bump your idle up during a/c and p/s use, obviously they won't work still but it will avoid a CEL.

Give me a call if you run into any other problems (Oh wait, that's a bad idea, it's an '00vi swap )

But nah man, in the thread I said I'd give support, but I don't have my cell in my sig anymore, it's 774-766-7462
Old 03-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WTF, you guys are plugging in the 5th gen IACV's 180* out! Are you serious?

Oh, nad don't forget you MUST also remove the rubber grommedt inside of the plug or else it will not plug in.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:30 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by slow97maxima
In the above photo, where the f*ck does this things go? if its not used, then where will the 3 connectors go that arent connected to anything?
That's your old IACV. You won't need it if you're running the 5th gen IACV. I can't help with the wiring though, because I used the 4th gen IACV on my swap.

Whats this below... is it needed anymore

That's part of your EVAP system. You will need to connect that or it will trigger a CEL.

Last edited by CRiME; 03-05-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:33 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
The other part pictures is your evap purge valve, you need that for CEL/emmisions purposes, same deal with the two other plugs next to the 4G IACV, unscrew them from the peice and plug them in/zip tie them, they bump your idle up during a/c and p/s use, obviously they won't work still but it will avoid a CEL.

Give me a call if you run into any other problems (Oh wait, that's a bad idea, it's an '00vi swap )

But nah man, in the thread I said I'd give support, but I don't have my cell in my sig anymore, it's 774-766-7462

Beat me to it! Didn't realize this was posted while I was typing Everything's spot on.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:51 PM

1. As said before, its your olf IACV. The s plugs (purple, pink) are not used. The brown one you modify for the 5th gen. See here under '5th gen IACV': http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=538119

2. That is your Evap system. You need it. See link above, shows installing a new nipple for it(page 3 IIRC) and gives link to vacuum hose setup.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
WTF, you guys are plugging in the 5th gen IACV's 180* out! Are you serious?
lol what are you trying to say here, turning it 180 degrees is correct yes?

btw sick info thanks for this people, i will probably have more questions when i get at it again tomorrow
Old 03-05-2008, 10:13 PM

also, is this the correct way to route the hoses coming off the VIAS? ( i think this is ceasars setup)

Old 03-05-2008, 10:58 PM
oem ftw!

also, is this the correct way to route the hoses coming off the VIAS? ( i think this is ceasars setup)
the one on the left that doesn't go to anything should go to a fresh air source on your midpipe. I never got around to connecting it though and I just have it open as it is shown in that picture. The one next to it above the orange connector is for the swirl valves, so that doesn't apply to you (I don't have anything going to it at all). The 3rd one is supposed to be blocked off, so I guess that you pretty much can accomplish that by looping it to the swirl valve nipple as shown. On my manifold, it is blocked off by a rubber cap.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by QnzMax
Same here. But for the IACV plug, just cut the plastic around it and stick the plug in the opposite way, rotate the plug 180* and it should stick right in.
WTF am i doing? i was rewiring it all up so i could try to get it to work. . wow am i a bonehead

For that third vaccum i hooked it up to my fuel damper i dont have a rail adapter.

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 03-06-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:22 PM

Just got it started! doesnt run for long tho so i guess now i can start looking for some vacuum leaks...

and what is with all the complaints about not using the 4G air box... fits quite nicely! ha

Old 03-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Bacon Lover

Do you not have ABS? The reason we complain about the 4th gen air box is because the way it's meant to be setup simply doesn't work. It hits things. Clearly you're lacking something the rest of us have then
Old 03-06-2008, 01:11 PM

Yes i have ABS and all those brake lines near the brake booster do get in the way a fair bit, but i just worked at it and using some force and made it fit. As you can see in the picture the bottom of the air box is not bolted down, and the snorkel is not in place. This is just a temporary setup to get it to run, but i was impressed at how well it fits for now. It doesnt even budge at all how it is, its quite solid.

The farting of air after the car runs for a few seconds is obviously some kind of vacuum problem correct?

edit: tatanko your site was an incredible help btw...

Last edited by slow97maxima; 03-06-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:22 PM

Ok who wants to try and see what hoses are hooked up wrong...
Its a starting/idleing issue...

The hose you see with the blue tape connects to the 4G midpipe

Should i switch to the 4G TPS? (Not that this is my problem, just asking)

Oh and on the third picture, the big nipple on the midpipe where the 4G IACV was hooked up to, should it just be blocked up?

Last edited by slow97maxima; 03-06-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Bacon Lover

Did you hook up the brake booster line? I'm not sure an incorrect TPS would make the car stall out. I would check specifically the lines (vacuum as well as fuel) for the FPR and fuel rails. Make sure everything is tight and that the FPR is getting vacuum and what not. Did you use 5th gen fuel as well? Looks like you did.

I still can't believe you got the 4th gen intake to fit...no matter how I jiggled things around I could never get it to sit like you did. Weird.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:00 PM

Yea brake booster is good. I tried for like 1/2 an our wrestling the intake on as one piece with no success. i then took off the accordian hose and straped that to the throttle body first, and hooked the rest of the midpipe/maf to the accordian hose and it made things easier.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:06 PM

I need to put my A32 midpipe on...

anyhow, Everything looks ok. You should plug the hole in the midpipe. 4th or 5th gen TPS, does not matter. Are you tuned? Maybe you are running too rich with the A33 LIM/inj and it hates you. Does it stay alive if you rev it? Do you hear any hissing sounds?
Old 03-06-2008, 04:08 PM

yea im using 5th gen fuel rail, 5th gen everything. which parts are important that they need to get a big vacuum source? could it be that somethings not getting enough vacuum maybe?

(according to your website tatanko)
brake booster is on #1 nipple (big nipple)
#2 is supplying fpr vacuum (smaller hose)
#3 is PCV (large hose/nipple)
#4 is EVAP (got a large nipple)
and #5 is a small hose going to what i think has something to do with EGR.

This is all the same in pictures i posted above
Old 03-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
I need to put my A32 midpipe on...
You should, makes a world of difference

From what I've seen, he shouldn't be running so rich that the car won't run. A leak the size of that IACV port on the midpipe would definitely cause a rough idle, but I don't know about stalling completely. I had my intake literally fall apart at the track once and it would stall, but I could keep it running with the throttle open. So I agree, try holding the throttle and seeing if it stays running. Also, definitely seal that port!
Old 03-06-2008, 04:10 PM

could be running rich i have Emanage sitting here but havent hooked it up yet. i didnt know it could run that lean with the larger injectors.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:15 PM

yea i dont think it would be fuel...i will plug that big *** hole in the midpipe. i was sealing it with my palm before ha.

i do here hissing and poping thats why i am leaning towards the vacuum somewhere.... but no idea where...

edit: but yes it does run after a few cranks with a lot of revs, but not for long.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:14 PM

yeah i had two holes in my cai i had to plug up cause of the same symptom. it would idle real rough then eventually die. so plug them up and hopefully you will be running!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:16 PM

yeah ive still been looking for the leak... plugged up all the holes in the midpipe... after it runs for like 4 or 5 seconds you will here a poof of air like a second AFTER it dies...
Old 03-06-2008, 05:27 PM

yeah ive still been looking for the leak... plugged up all the holes in the midpipe... after it runs for like 4 or 5 seconds you will here a poof of air like a second AFTER it dies...
That is a vacuum leak. Check the rear seals on the LIM/UIM, back by the rear bank of injectors. Spray in some WD40/TB cleaner when the engine is COLD and you are idling. Watch tach/listen for a noticeable reaction from the engine.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Bacon Lover

Can I ask what you did in terms of EGR?
Old 03-06-2008, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
That is a vacuum leak. Check the rear seals on the LIM/UIM, back by the rear bank of injectors. Spray in some WD40/TB cleaner when the engine is COLD and you are idling. Watch tach/listen for a noticeable reaction from the engine.

rear seals? there is one seal between the upper and lower mani. do you mean like the back of the seal where you cant see very easily? I did replace the seal between the upper and lower mani.

I didnt want to, but i reused the 2 seals between the lower manifold and the heads/block. i am probably going to have to change those Is it that seal you are talking about?

edit: im gonna go spray the seals now with tb cealner and try to see/hear/notice something.

Last edited by slow97maxima; 03-06-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Can I ask what you did in terms of EGR?

I am using the egr guide tube from the 5G.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:46 PM

i think tomorrows job will be to change those 2 seals/gaskets...anyone know the part number?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Bacon Lover

If you go to some place like Autozone or Advance Auto, you can buy a pack of the 4th gen gaskets (lower to heads and upper to lower, all 3) for cheaper than you can just the lower to heads gaskets usually. DEFINITELY do not re-use those. That alone could be your leak. Also, do not use 2 seals between the upper and lower, only the 5th gen one. I would also check to make sure your 5th gen EGR guide tube is sitting correctly. It may not be, it usually needs bent a little or it pushes the upper manifold up at an angle and causes it not to seal against the lower. But replace all the gaskets before worrying about that.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:05 PM

If you go to some place like Autozone or Advance Auto, you can buy a pack of the 4th gen gaskets (lower to heads and upper to lower, all 3) for cheaper than you can just the lower to heads gaskets usually. DEFINITELY do not re-use those. That alone could be your leak. Also, do not use 2 seals between the upper and lower, only the 5th gen one. I would also check to make sure your 5th gen EGR guide tube is sitting correctly. It may not be, it usually needs bent a little or it pushes the upper manifold up at an angle and causes it not to seal against the lower. But replace all the gaskets before worrying about that.
I thought the Heads to LIM gaskets were metal and rarely needed replacing?
Old 03-07-2008, 02:00 AM

when i did mine i went to nissan. it was like 35 for each! me being nieve i bought them should of just got napas. I almost opped not buying the gaskets but i remeber the iavc being the same type of gasket and i didnt replace it when i cleaned it and lets just say i have had 1.2k idle for like 3 years and didnt mess with it since so......

those types of gaskets are strickly one time use cause of the crimping so yeah i would buy new ones. and defently redo it all. The only gasket i reused was the valve cover and i didnt even want to do that. but it worked out.

The 4th gen upper gasket and the 5th gen upper gasket can actually be combined together?????? Do they even have the same bolt pattern?? i guess so if you can do it.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:04 AM

Ok sweet i will pick up those 2 metal gaskets (LIM to heads) from autozone and try those out. Will also look to make sure the UIM is seating itself properly with the 5G guide tube. And hopefully it will be up and running after that, i will be sure to make it known if i run into anymore problems hah.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by lock0002
The 4th gen upper gasket and the 5th gen upper gasket can actually be combined together?????? Do they even have the same bolt pattern?? i guess so if you can do it.
"Kind of." I've never done it, so I can' tell you, but some have. It's a definite no-no, though, as it doesn't let the 5th gen gasket seal properly against a the flat metal surface of the lower manifold.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:21 AM

how important is the fuel damper?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Bacon Lover

Let me ask this: how is your fuel set up exactly? You appear to have 5th gen fuel rails, injectors, lower manifold...am I right on that? If so, how are your fuel lines hooked up, etc.?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:23 AM

Yes 5th gen everything, i have the fuel entering the fuel rail in the front bank of the injectors, and exiting at the rear bank closest to the firewall. The FPR is also at the exit point of the fuel rail.

Quick Reply: In the middle of 00vi swap, some random questions (pics)