4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

light buzzing/high pitch whistling noise after 2 amps, components, and sub installed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 06:55 PM

light buzzing/high pitch whistling noise after 2 amps, components, and sub installed?

im not an electronix newb but I really never heard a good explanation for what causes this...the whistling/buzzing gets louder as you rev... the shop I had install all this stuff said that it comes from the alternator and the engine... when the key is turned to the accessories(engine not running) position it dosent really make any noise, except for a little background noise(can only be heard on soft songs)

keep in mind I had them use quality 4 guage wire and twisted RCA's.. I thought i could deal with it but its to loud.. so I went back and they put a filter on the amp and SAID it sounds much better... get in the car and drive away-still sounds crappy... I called them up later and asked them about a grounding kit and they seemed a little clueless as to if this would help...I asked them if theres anything else I could do and they seemed to have no answers.... plz keep in mind its a reputable local place which is praised by many but I dont know how to get it to go away or why they dont have an answer... any help guys ? thanks

Rick
Old 03-12-2008, 07:19 PM

9 times out of 10 it's improper grounding of an amplifier. That buzzing almost sounds like a whistle? Should be the ground. Unless you have a bad component.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:21 PM
boost me.....

BAD GROUND WIRE!

Man, I had this same annoying problem for forever and finally my buddy found that the amp under my seat that runs my components had a bad ground...it barely made contact.

Check all your grounds and make sure the connection point is secure and makes a good ground. It doesnt matter what guage wire you use, bad ground will cause this still.

BTW, It is clear to me that the shop you used for this install is not capable of doing a decent job and can't even fix the problem they created....go somewhere else.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:35 AM

its not always a bad amp ground....it can also be a bad ground for the battery or bad ground some were else on the car.

When installing the new amps...did u also buy new components all the way around in ur car? or did u just hook up already exsisting speakers to that amp...
If u unplug the RCAs to that amp for ur component speakers, and the noise is still there then its that amp...if it goes away its prolly your ground for your head unit.

chances are its one of the grounds to your amps...like everyone else said...best just pinpointing what amp the sound is coming from...does the noise come out over your subs...or just the speakers in side the car?
Old 03-13-2008, 12:41 AM

it can also be rca's
Old 03-13-2008, 12:45 AM
Hammy

or you might need a Ground Loop Noise Isolator
Google it or Radio Shack for 10 bucks

Old 03-13-2008, 03:41 AM

this is all great stuff guys.. thanks very much .. im gonna look and see if the amps are grounded properly and all the other things that people mentioned
Old 03-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey

This is alternator whine, its your signal cables picking up the sound of your engine through the power or ground. Make sure your rca's and power cable are on opposite sides of the car. you could also try getting a new ground or perhaps improving your current one. www.caraudio.com or www.realmofexcursion.com work well too.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Also a cheap way to get around your problem without rewiring stuff and moving everything is a ground loop isolator. get em at walmart for like 12 bucks. also its not going to be your amps fault. if your amp is receiving the sound of the alternator charging its only doing its job by amplifying that signal. you could try rca's with a better insulation. also have someone listen to a speaker with no music playing, rev the engine and see if you hear it get higher pitch.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Hammy

Originally Posted by Hammy
Originally Posted by Bloodhound50
Also a cheap way to get around your problem without rewiring stuff and moving everything is a ground loop isolator. get em at walmart for like 12 bucks. also its not going to be your amps fault. if your amp is receiving the sound of the alternator charging its only doing its job by amplifying that signal. you could try rca's with a better insulation. also have someone listen to a speaker with no music playing, rev the engine and see if you hear it get higher pitch.
Working on that 15 posts huh?

Old 03-13-2008, 01:03 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by Hammy
+1.

It could also be wire noise if your wires are too close to ones that aren't insulated.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:08 PM

i had the same problem in my turbo Lude, it was the amp
Old 03-13-2008, 01:09 PM

Did they put the power and rca on the same side of the car?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:00 AM

This is alternator whine, its your signal cables picking up the sound of your engine through the power or ground. Make sure your rca's and power cable are on opposite sides of the car. you could also try getting a new ground or perhaps improving your current one. www.caraudio.com or www.realmofexcursion.com work well too.
This is what my problem was too. The power wire needs to be on the opposite side of the RCA. After I moved the RCA the whine was gone. You can also get an alternator that has a higher output this also works wonders for your sound system.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:28 AM

crappy wires/wiring/grounding......
Old 03-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You should sand the area that the ground connects to down to the bare naked metal.

If you fear rust then make the solid connection then prime or paint OVER it. Metal to metal is what you're looking for as far as alternator whine goes.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:44 AM

50$ that is the problem, sounds like the installer is not experienced/knowledgeble.

Grounding is a possibility but I doubt it will make hardly any difference in the noise if you upgrade grounds.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:15 PM

I have the same problem in my car. I took it to the shop were I usually get the engine worked on for an unrelated problem with the service engine soon light. The code that it was giving was the 1320. Everything related to that code was replaced and corrected but the light stayed on. The shop ended up having to check all the wiring and they stumbled upon a purple wire coming from my system to the tach. They asked me if I was hearing some type of high pitched sound coming from the speakers when I drove the car or accelerated. I told them I that I did and they say that was the reason why. They told me that there was no reason that the wire should be connected to the tach and to have the shop who installed the system rewire it correctly. I am going to get that taken care of but I still have the stupid service engine soon light on, because they couldn't figure out why it's still on.