4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The start of my E-Manage Ultimate project

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:31 AM

The start of my E-Manage Ultimate project

Never realized how much stuff i actually needed for this project till now.

Main harness

Ecu Pigtail(1998 GLE)

Junk Ecu (1997)(Thanks to DJ42o96maX) The freaking post office lady put this in my freaking mail box and guess what i cant get the damn thing out!! I had to go to work today and of course the lady gets here pretty much right after i leave to go to work so i will have to wait till tommorow to get the damn ecu! Its funny but its not at the same time.

Emanage Ultimate

The following are some links and diagrams i found useful for this project
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...ck0002/ecu.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...k0002/ecu2.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...k0002/ecu3.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...k0002/ecu4.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...k0002/ecu5.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...k0002/ecu6.jpg

This is all the ecu pinouts by pin#,color of wire,and function. Sorry if its kinda blury.

Dandymax write up
http://www.vqpower.com/images/howto/...xEUWriteup.pdf

E-manage update
v2.16 / 2.16 / 1.09

E-Manage hardware manual
http://www.mohdparts.com/emanage/ult...ual/index.html

E-Manage software manual
http://www.mohdparts.com/emanage/ult...ual/index.html

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 03-30-2008 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:32 AM
Hammy

LMAO....

BTW Nice Packaging.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:36 AM

And my free laptop from my brother just got her 2 days ago

500mhz 64MB Ram 11gig hd cant complain though it was free!!!Obviously this has one function and one function only EMANAGE!!!!!!!

I know the ecu harnesses are optional but it will hopefully make for a easier install

I will be taking apart my junk ecu tommorrow night and soldering it all up and will take pics of the process

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 03-30-2008 at 04:05 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:37 AM

lol yeah i thought i could squeeze it through if i took off the packing didnt work lol
Old 03-13-2008, 10:13 AM

damn i wish i had a pigtail.... i have a feeling i will be on my back for a few hours very soon

What kind of connection are you gonna use lock? I'm just using two DB-25 pin connectors.... I already wired the Emanage harness but have yet to start the ECU
Old 03-13-2008, 03:57 PM

Um no way. But i may be trading the s/c for a 2001 ae.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

But to get back sorta on topic...

I have a EU sitting in my closet along with an 00VI....maybe I should put them in...

anyone want to make a plug and play adapter for me?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Holy $hit. I am too drunk to edit this thread now, but when I get to work in the morning, if you toolbags have not cleaned up your own posts, I WILL, and there will be bans served hot and juicy to go on the side.

Any $hit-talking after my post gets an immediate ban.

Last edited by phenryiv1; 03-14-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by bigpulve
But to get back sorta on topic...

I have a EU sitting in my closet along with an 00VI....maybe I should put them in...

anyone want to make a plug and play adapter for me?
I would love to actually. Just supply the harness, and ECU adapters and maybe a little cash and Id love to. I want to do it for mine, so I might as well get one down and itll make my life easier! Pm me man.

Still here lock(op)? Keep us updated.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hammy
"It is not cool to get high and eat up all yo babys cereal."
haha wtf.^

You know now that i think about it, it's probably a really good idea to use the pigtail from an ECU cuz it took me like 2 hours to do the EU harness sitting at my desk....

anyone got one for a 97GLE auto
Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 PM

so you guys are pulling the female end of the connector (out of the ecu) and just using it like that? lets see more pics! Thats a crap load of soldering huh.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:39 PM

I talked to bigpulve, and I am going to make a plug and play harness for him for the EU. If I do well at it, I might do some more if anyone is interested. Basically, you will plug one end into your ECU, one end into the ECU wire plug and the other into the EU.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:54 PM

Lmfao. wow i didnt think my eu install would cause that much of a controversy. 3 freaking pages wow!!! well 1st of all lets see the extended rev limiter itself is well worth it appose to lets say jwt. how much does a jwt even go for now??

All my life i have been messing with computers. I pretty much switched my hobby from computers to my maxima. So naturally why wouldnt i want pretty much full control off my ecu?? Its in my nature. and i get a laptop in my car. how sweet.

I contiplated getting a apexi and it just didnt appeal to me. i really want to rev to 7k so that was out of the picture. smt-6 im not to fimillar with and there isnt a good write up on it like dandymaxs.

I took apart the ecu right when i got back from work today. i will post pics later on in the night
Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 PM

very cool. i'm looking forward to it. Im going to get one of these eventually and definitely would prefer to do it this way rather than splicing into my already tortured harness.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
I talked to bigpulve, and I am going to make a plug and play harness for him for the EU. If I do well at it, I might do some more if anyone is interested. Basically, you will plug one end into your ECU, one end into the ECU wire plug and the other into the EU.
ok, i'll bite, if bigpulves turns out good and the car starts i'll be your next customer.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:04 AM

man ol man. well i realized one thing tonight. that i really suck at soldering. i have probley done like 15 wires in two hours. Defently not a walk in the park. I had to redo 3 pins though cause the place i was suppose to solder at totally snapped off pretty much into the plastic. so i had to fix it. some before and after pics

Pretty much i used the heat of the soldering gun to melt and pulled the pin out then i put the pin back in to recessed it back a little bit so there was something to solder onto. that alone took me like 45 mins. But i think i messed up my tip of the gun by doing that cause now its all messed up and demented looking. I know the pics are not the greatest but i think i got it acrossed WHEN YOU DISSASEMBLE THE ECU DONT ROCK IT BACK AND FORTH TO GET IT LOOSE!!!!! Dumb mistake on my behalf!!
Old 03-14-2008, 03:50 AM

soldering gun

Think i am going to call it a night and get a new gun tommorrow and go back at it

i finally read though this whole freaking thread. Man alot of edits. Would of been intresting to see the **** talking

Coremanx you are defently intitled to your own opinion. If you dont think a EU is worth the time or money unless boosted then thats cool. But to me its obviously worth it and no one is going to change my opinion. and whos to say next tax season i might just get a t3/t4 doubtfull but i would defently would love to.

Granted a window switch for my nitrous is realtivly cheap. I will use the EU instead. and will be able to monitor my car under spray which is a safety and not blowing my engine up thing. I think of it as a insurance policy on my engine if anything.

But in all honesty i could get the best mod out there that gives me 100hp gain or what ever. That wouldnt be the only reason why i bought the mod. I love a challenge and to learn the EU is a challenge and yes i will defently learn. Knowledge you cannot buy. But you can pass it along and help others down the road. It is what this whole forum is based off of. So in reality im not just Paying 600-700 dollars for just EU but accomplishment after a big project is priceless.

Just one last thing before i call it a morning\night. You should run that opinon past dandymax that would be intresting.

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 03-14-2008 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:23 AM
No more Maximas...

Is that a Radio Shack soldering gun? What's the wattage on that thing? Ideally you'd want somewhere around 15-30W when working with the ECU, so as not to burn the damn thing up.

Then again, you're working with a junk one (I presume) so it wouldn't matter that much.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:48 AM

its a wal-mart 5 dollar brand. i bought it to solder up the injectors from my 00vi swap. its a 30 watt. im going to go to radio shack and look around to get some ideas to make the solder job easier. defently going to get some aligator clips for a 3rd hand. i should of done that in the first place... what the hell was i thinking?

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 03-14-2008 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Thanks to those who edited their posts and reported this thread.

You guys can disagree on whether this is a good/worthwhile mod, but try to keep it clean.

Just don't let it get out of control today, as I will most likely be drinking again tonight, plus my Mountaineers are on ESPN, so I won't be on the org tonight.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by lock0002
WHEN YOU DISSASEMBLE THE ECU DONT ROCK IT BACK AND FORTH TO GET IT LOOSE!!!!! Dumb mistake on my behalf!!
I have removed the ecu header connector off of ecus from the A32, A33 and A34 chassis series and there is no need to use a soldering iron.

Less than five minutes with a small set of side cutters and you are done
Old 03-14-2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
Thanks to those who edited their posts and reported this thread.

You guys can disagree on whether this is a good/worthwhile mod, but try to keep it clean.

Just don't let it get out of control today, as I will most likely be drinking again tonight, plus my Mountaineers are on ESPN, so I won't be on the org tonight.
You have fun sir...

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
No chance of me burning down my car....

Lock. Looks like its coming along well....
Old 03-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Bacon Lover

Lock, it's cool, we all make mistakes. Put it this way, it could be worse...you could be doing all that wiring inside the passenger's footwell of your car
Old 03-14-2008, 09:06 AM

man ol man. well i realized one thing tonight. that i really suck at soldering. i have probley done like 15 wires in two hours.
Are you "tinning your wires" before you try to solder them to the pins?

Quite often, I will place a small glob of solder onto the pin. You then place the tinned wire on top and apply heat to the wire until the solder on the pin and the tinned wire solder flow together. You want your connections to be smooth and shiny. Dull, grey ones are referred to as "cold" and will break easily.

Do not apply too much heat or the solder will wick up under the wire insulation and make the wire prone to breaking.

It goes alot faster if you approach it in assembly line fashion.

1. Cut all your wires to the correct length
2. Strip the ends off of all your wires. A wire stripper with a length gauge really speeds up this process.
3. Tin all your wires.
4. Cut all your heat shrink to the correct length
5. Slide heat shrink back on all the wires far enough so that they do not "see" any heat from the soldering.
4. Clean pins and apply a glob of solder to each one that is needed.
5. Solder wire to pin. Do one entire row at a time.
6. Before starting next row, apply heat to shrink tubing.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:08 AM
3.5 in the works

Hmm.. the EU is not worth it for N/A....

Let's see, at minimum you get:

-extended redline
-15-20whp gain with timing and A/F tuning
-Air/fuel auto tune (ie closed loop tuning operation)
-2-step launch limiter for the track
-flat shift (ie power shift) limiter
-very good datalogger including WBO2 input
-ability to control all kinds of relays, devices such as fans, variable intake switchovers etc
-ability to compensate for different injectors, larger MAF's, even remove the MAF altogether and run speed-density

-Net result of all of the above, depending on mods on the car, can easily be half a second off the 1/4 mile time and a couple of MPH in trap speed, probably more if you didn't have VI control before.

And all of this for about $500 used or $600 new. Nah that's not worth it at all.

Last edited by DandyMax; 03-14-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by DandyMax

-extended redline
-ability to control all kinds of relays, devices such as fans, variable intake switchovers etc
-ability to compensate for different injectors, larger MAF's, even remove the MAF altogether and run speed-density

-Net result of all of the above, depending on mods on the car, can easily be half a second off the 1/4 mile time and a couple of MPH in trap speed, probably more if you didn't have VI control before.

And all of this for about $500 used or $600 new. Nah that's not worth it at all.
well thats that for all trash talkers, back that
Old 03-14-2008, 09:24 AM

-extended redline

Old 03-14-2008, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by bigpulve
+1

This is an interesting project. I'll be following it.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
yeah you just dont reply if you dont know what your talking about
I said no $hit-talking. See you Monday.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:04 AM

-extended redline

And let the truth be told!!!!!

Anyways I am blessed with 4 young boys(yes all mine) this weekend so i dont know if ill be able to get anything done. i might if i can be a insomniac which i pretty much am as you can tell when i post. But i went to radio shack and got myself a new soldering gun.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

The clip that came with it is actually pretty nice it has quite the grip when i use it. so im sure it will be useful
Old 03-15-2008, 08:50 AM

dont forget, you can buy JUST the tips too. they screw right in.

I'll be following this thread!
Old 03-15-2008, 08:53 AM

no i know. i dont think i will need other ones but who knows it might help me out. i dont have real steady hands. Ive smoked for 10years so my hands are kinda shaky not to the point where it would prevent me from soldering but it is still affecting my soldering. Its funny cause i am real big into electronics. i have been since i was a young child. i was ripping apart my old 386 computer back when i was like 10 or 11. but i just never got into soldering that much. now i wish i would have

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 03-15-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:08 AM

I hear ya, well that's unfortunate. Those little tiny connectors on the back of the ecu connector look sketchy to me. I get real paranoid about wires coming loose or touching in a little area like that. I'm curious to see pics of after you've connected the wires to that part.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
Those little tiny connectors on the back of the ecu connector look sketchy to me. I get real paranoid about wires coming loose or touching in a little area like that. I'm curious to see pics of after you've connected the wires to that part.
There is nothing "sketchy" about it.

That ecu header connector is the same one that patch harness manufacturers like Autosport use.

Here are a couple that I am working on as part of a current project.
The one on the left is a Z33 and the other is an A33.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:13 PM

wow that looks really clean. i was just going to cake on that liquid tape stuff after i soldered it all up but i think i will be getting some srink wrap
Old 03-15-2008, 11:31 PM

pretty cool it just didnt look like there was alot to solder onto there.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
pretty cool it just didnt look like there was alot to solder onto there.
you talking about mine or engs's?
Old 03-16-2008, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by eng92
I have removed the ecu header connector off of ecus from the A32, A33 and A34 chassis series and there is no need to use a soldering iron.

Less than five minutes with a small set of side cutters and you are done
I toatally snapped off the pin off the back side of the ecu to where it was flush with the plastic part that is why i had to push the pin back out. I just was to damn impaitent about it so when i couldnt get to the bottom pins i just started rocking away(dont ask)

well i did about a hours worth of soldering tonight using the method you discribed to me and it seem to be much easier that way i almost have half of the ecu done. hopefully if im not toatally worn out by tommorrow night i will finish.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:41 AM

-extended redline

I am very interested to hear your thoughts on switching from a Mass Air Flow setup to Speed Density
Old 03-16-2008, 08:22 AM

you talking about mine or engs's?
yeah i was talking about the back of the pins i the pictures you showed me. it looks like at most you'd get a 1/8" overlap of the wire onto the pin.

Quick Reply: The start of my E-Manage Ultimate project